Vintage Tama Screws

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TamaGirl444

Reaction score
Got 4 vintage tamas the other day and even though the batteries that have been in there since 1997 work fine, I'm only running one of those tamas right now and want to remove batteries from the other 3 but don't know what size screw driver I need. I have tried a size 0 flathead screwdriver but can't turn it, just ends up scratching some of the screw and plastic of the tama.

The screws aren't stripped as they've been unopened until I bought them.

Help would be appreciated.

A smaller Phillips/flat head should do the trick - I'm not sure exactly what size you'll need, none of mine have listed sizes, but I've used various ones of smaller sizes to open mine up. Buy one of those cheap kits with several different sizes of both and try out a few, that's what I've done.

I haven't tried it personally but apparently you need a JIS #0 screwdriver. I've actually got one coming in the mail right now from Amazon, so I'll let you know if it works!

So irritated right now, managed to get screws out of my ocean and P1 but can't get the screws out of my mario and motha, they aren't stripped but dad had them under a magnifying glass and the screws look like there corroded into the plastic :( even though a phillips size 0 screwdriver removed the ocean and P1's batteries, it can't remove the mothra and morino's :(

Don't know what to do, if to contact the ebay seller and see if I can send those 2 back, sell them on making the buyer aware of the screw issue or just count my losses :(

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a watch repair place close by take it there and see what they can do. They're experts in little screws and usually don't mind helping with things other than watches.

Don't know what to do, if to contact the ebay seller and see if I can send those 2 back, sell them on making the buyer aware of the screw issue or just count my losses :(
Make sure that the listing didn't state that there are no returns, or that anything like this can happen because they're 16-18 years old now, so problems like this can arise, especially if they're NIP.

I bought a Microtip screwdriver from an electrical store. It's size No.000 x 40mm. It has a huge, comfortable handle. It removed my stuck, stripped TamaOtch screw and stuck 3DS screws l like a breeze. If you manage to find a screwdriver of this size and with a nice big handle, I recommend it! A small handle means not enough force can be exerted to twist out the screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back