Sign in to follow this  
Myiko

Tamagotchi 4U English App

Just to add to the "illegal" discussion, there isn't a Terms of Use policy when you purchase a Tamagotchi. However, there most definitely is a Terms of Use when you download, use, or possess in any form an app. Bandai knows that we have modified physical Tamagotchis we own, and haven't made on opinion on that. I don't think they really care. They have made their stance very clear about the app, and have made legal threats over its use. It only makes sense for forums and groups to protect themselves legally. It is also why we do not allow the posts of it on the Facebook groups.

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation, Ra. Now it makes sense why the whole thread was deleted. I couldn't find anything on TamaZone explaining it, so I was puzzled when I clicked on the link to that thread and it had just vanished.

But I know what you mean about the strict rules you have to adhere to. It's true, I've seen entire forums pulled down for infractions. So I knew it wasn't something petty.

• Like 1

Thank you everybody for the information, I understand the problem now is with the app's Term of use wich are not on the Tamagotchi units themselves, and I guess if TZ and facebook group don't want the app then we will keep it away from them.

Just to let this be more of a santandalone project, and make it more professional, the app already has its own webpage on Mr.Blinky's site

* link promoting potentially illegal app removed*

(I'll keep updating this thread, so I can answer questions from people and post any updates on the app of course)

This app is modified from Takura's apk file, wich as you said is discarred and not supported anymore because it has been replaced by a newer version in japan, so I don't think it would be a mayor problem to keep with the project.

The point on the english app is mainly to get the 4U content to be available to everyone outside Japan, since without Touch Spots the 4U would be a rather pointless release for us, As you have seen we are trying to get the data from Japan's touch spots for it to be available in the english app, so non-japanese people can enjoy this new release too.

I just hope for you to support the project and understand we have worked and we will keep working hard on it, just so everybody can enjoy the Tamagotchi experience.

All information and download of the app is on the link above, including a list of compatible devices (that should also work for the japanese app)~

Edited by TamaMum
link removed - site rules

As Ra has explained, I don't think it will be wise for the app to continue. We have been warned of all the problems that could possibly happen if the app continues to be modified. We were warned that we will have no access to the app if it's modified, including modifying Takura's version of the app.

I'd feel safer, and a lot better using it in Japanese whilst knowing that we're not going to loose access to it. Please, for Tamagotchi 4U fan's across the world, discontinue using the app before Bandai find out about it and block access.

• Like 1

I'm a little worried about Mr.Blinky. Have you seen his avatar today? He looks...uh... "dead". And he hasn't posted in awhile.

Does anyone know if he's ok?

I haven't heard anything from him for a while :(

Bandai JP said that we can use the unmodified original 4U app that Takura has made available, but not the newer app that's avaliable in Japan. As long as we don't modify the apps, or use the Japan only app, were allowed to use it.

Where can I get access to the one we've been given permission to use?

Where can I get access to the one we've been given permission to use?
I don't know a download source offhand, since Takura took his down. But it's definitely out there. I'm sure you can find one by googling.

The unmodified, original version that Bandai have allowed us to use available for download here.

If Bandai threatened us to disable the app outside Japan if any of us will fiddle with it, then I will join the rest of the concerned Tamagotchi lovers and ask you guys - please, stop modifying it, it's not that complicated to use in japanese and it's not worth the risk.

• Like 2

There's very few phone's that are compatible with the app. The Nexus 7 (second generation) works, and some Note 3's, and Galaxy S5's.

Okay I'll try to answer everything in here, sorry if I miss something, there are A LOT of coments O.o

First of all, Tinkerville, I seen you realized Mr. Blinky's new icon, and yes he changed the icon because he is sad because of people going against him instead of helping (Just before anyone asks, yes this will delay the P's patch) , you guys have to understand we have worked a lot on this app, and yes even if is an edited version of the original there was still a lot of work to do, we knew it was not legal, however,Mr. Blinky is not an app creator or anything, and he learned Java coding JUST to help us the fans enjoy the 4U.

However, even if he tried really hard to please us, people are just asking us to take the app down and erase all the work we have put into it, rather than offering help to do a custom app or something similar, with a bit of support we could get the project to go further, but it seems support is something we lack of xD

Now to everyone else, I wanted to make clear we never knew Bandai said anything about not editing Takura's app, and even then as I said is a discarred app, and it shouldn't be a mayor problem, also, please remember we are talking about Bandai, a professional company, made by HUMANS, they could easilly contact us if there's any issue with the app, and then we would politelly try to find a way to get something to work out with them, talking to people is the best way of solving things isn't it? We are not hackers trying to ruin the 4U or anything (We are not providing any of the comercial downloads, realize the english app takes you directly to the free section), we will gladly do what Bandai THEMSELVES want us to do, trying to keep everything for the good of all fans.

At last I wanted to remind you the app doesn't just mimic the original japanese app, if it did there would not be a mayor point on it, the app is meant to bring the content exclusive to Japan overseas, for example, there are characters not available in the Japanese app such as Yumemitchi and Kiraritchi that are gonna be in the english app, Japanese people can get them through Touch Spots, We can't get touch spots, so the only solution is keeping bringing them to the app.

It's also a way to keep a server running up, you all know Bandai will eventually shut down the real app's server and touch spots, so keeping them in the English app is the best way to keep them alive.

Ayway guys, don't worry, as I said Bandai would contact us if they wouldn't want the app running, then we would talk to them personally, there is no point on overworrying when nothing has happened, as I said they are humans, they are professionals, and they won't just punnish us as bad kids for trying to help :)

Edited by Myiko
  • Like 1

Thanks Myiko. I back you and Mr. Blinky 100%. I think some people got spooked by Bandai. Everyone appreciates your hard work on both this and the P's patches. They are beyond wonderful.

• Like 1

No one is saying that we're not appreciating what you've done. We're just saying that Bandai have told us not to edit the app or we will loose access completely. Modifying the app is illegal, and shouldn't continue. You mentioned that 'we will gladly do what Bandai THEMSELVES want us to do'. Bandai has asked for fans not to modify the app, which you have done, therefor I think it'd be better if the app is discontinued.

On the other hand, I'm grateful for the P's Patches. No one is saying that we're not. The work that Mr Blinky has done is amazing, and I'm sure everyone agrees.

We're just asking that the Tamagotchi 4U English App is discontinued. Maybe Mr Blinky could design his own app, that would be his property and not cause any legal issues in the process.

• Like 1

Thanks Myiko. I back you and Mr. Blinky 100%. I think some people got spooked by Bandai. Everyone appreciates your hard work on both this and the P's patches. They are beyond wonderful.

Thank you, I'm glad someone supports the project, BTW the P's project is still slowly working xD

No one is saying that we're not appreciating what you've done. We're just saying that Bandai have told us not to edit the app or we will loose access completely. Modifying the app is illegal, and shouldn't continue. You mentioned that 'we will gladly do what Bandai THEMSELVES want us to do'. Bandai has asked for fans not to modify the app, which you have done, therefor I think it'd be better if the app is discontinued.

On the other hand, I'm grateful for the P's Patches. No one is saying that we're not. The work that Mr Blinky has done is amazing, and I'm sure everyone agrees.

We're just asking that the Tamagotchi 4U English App is discontinued. Maybe Mr Blinky could design his own app, that would be his property and not cause any legal issues in the process.

Well again, I said it before, you are the one telling us this, and as far as I know you don't belong to Bandai's staff, They will contact us if they have any problem it as the originally contacted Takura.

Keep in mind Takura redistributing the app was already something Bandai didn't want, yet they changed their mind after, so only Bandai can tell us if they do not want the app, or if they want us to do something different with it or whatever they want.

And we would love if we could get rid of all this controversy having our own app, however Mr. Blinky can't made an app from scratch, not only because he is rather new when it comes to all this Java coding stuff, but also because the 4U checks the app before letting it send the items (Which is probably the reason for it only to work on certain devices, the coding to this must be quite complex), so the coding from the original app would have to be copied anyway, thus making it illegal anyway I guess?

I'm not saying is not possible, I'm just saying we don't have enough resources to do something that complex, so we are doing what we can. As I said, no one is helping us, and 1 person can't make all the coding in an app -_-