Do any of you experience ASMR?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NineMouse

Reaction score
I'm very curious about how common it is for people to actually experience ASMR. For those who don't know, ASMR, or Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, is a sensation that feels like tingling in the head and sometimes the spine, chest or other regions of the body, when that person is exposed to different "triggering" sounds or visuals. For a majority of people, the trigger is auditory. Common triggers are tapping, crinkling, or rubbing sounds. Another large section of people are triggered by close personal attention, such as when someone is asking you questions in a quiet, calm voice, or when you're being examined at a doctor's/dentist's/optometrist's office. A lot of people are also triggered by haircuts, or hair brushing.

So, do you think you experience it? Have you ever felt calmed or sleepy while getting a haircut, or while your doctor is listening to your breathing, or do you really, really like the sound of tapping on wood or plastic? You may have ASMR.

If anyone's interested in this, or trying to trigger your ASMR, there's tons and tons of videos on youtube you can check out just by searching "asmr". Personally, I've known I experience it since I was a young kid, but I didn't know what it was called or even that not everyone can experience it. I thought it was just something normal that happened to everyone.

I don't think I do, but sometimes I get feelings of randomly scattered pain on the sides of my head. The pains vanish almost instantly, but they're horrifying when they do happen. They make me twitch and almost certainly make me look like an idiot.

Edit: does ASMR always have a calming effect? Because it freaks me out when people talk to me in a calm, quiet voice.

Also, come to think of it, I always tap my fingers on surfaces in a fairly methodical way; it's quite comforting to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I do, but sometimes I get feelings of randomly scattered pain on the sides of my head. The pains vanish almost instantly, but they're horrifying when they do happen. They make me twitch and almost certainly make me look like an idiot.

Edit: does ASMR always have a calming effect? Because it freaks me out when people talk to me in a calm, quiet voice.

Also, come to think of it, I always tap my fingers on surfaces in a fairly methodical way; it's quite comforting to me.
Some people have the opposite effect and don't like whispering, quiet voices. Can't remember what that's called. But yes, ASMR is always calming, soothing and is also used as a sleep-aid, even by people who don't experience ASMR (they don't get the tingles, they just get sleepy).

Hmm I do not think I experience this but it sounds very fascinating! Thanks for sharing this :)

I'm actually kind of the opposite and simple sounds like footsteps and breathing make me feel very stressed and drive me crazy.

i do, though it was much worse when i was younger, i hardly notice it now. i get the sensation in my hands and feet and it's actually kind of painful. my biggest trigger has to be styrofoam rubbing against styrofoam. whispers and such don't bother me at all

Someone gave me some ASMR videos, I listened to them, but they made me completely terrified and paranoid; I got the feeling I was being watched and almost had a mental breakdown of fear... I don't know why it happened though. :eek:

Im in the exact same boat as EMF, that stuff is just terrifying for me -_-

That sounds interesting though, I wish I could experience it

the video absolutely made me feel weird and now I have a very strange look on my face 0-0

i do experience ASMR quite a lot, i have since i was a child. i really love the endless amount of videos there are for it. my favorite youtubers who do ASMR are gentlewhispering, heather feather, and albinwhisperland. sooooo many lovely tingles! i sleep to ASMR quite often, but, like many, if i listen to it too much my tingles start to die out, and i'll have to take a break from ASMR for a week or so. when i come back, they've usually returned. 'w'

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I kinda get it?

Like I feel a weird tingling in my spine and neck and head a little bit if someone is near my neck, so I hated my mum washing my hair for me when I was younger or if she or someone else washes it before I have my hair cut.

Is it always calming? When I get like that I hate it, it feels weird

I do experience ASMR and it's very calming and soothing. ^_^ To help some of you understand how it feels like, I would say it's like a tingly sensation. Like being caressed with a feather or something light and gentle. No pain at all, just relaxation.

Even if you don't experience ASMR with real life sounds, it doesn't always mean you can't enjoy ASMR youtube videos! I mean: I don't like when people whispers in real life or in situations that don't require whispering, but while watching a dedicated video I do.

I would like to suggest, exspecially to ASMR fans, to try Italian, Spanish or Gibberish (invented language) whispering videos: they contain sounds, different from English, that you could enjoy! :lol:

Let me know if it worked! :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back