Sign in to follow this  
Watashiwatchi

Who, or what raised your interest and got you started in Tamagotchi?

I doubt I knew what I was doing with it lol. In fact, I reall only have one memory, I was carryung kt around the grocery store with my mama.

I Remeber them being super popular and I really didn't have any intentions in buying one, I saw that Jamie lynn Spears had one because they give them to celebrities at the Nick awards thing or whatever. I saw she had one and she was my favorite actress because of Zoey101, which was my favorite show for the longest time. I really wanted one and i got a V2 from Walgreen's and It was pink, but it was my first Tama and I was excited to have one and from then on I have a hefty collection of 50+ I haven't counted recently how many I have I just know I have a lot and tons of merchandise.

-Puri-

• Like 2

A friend of mine (well, not really a friend) in 1st grade once came to school with a v1. She had no idea how to take care of it, but at recess people would gather around it to watch the "pac-man" poop xD

I absolutely adored them after that. My best friend, who was a spoiled brat (no offense lmao), came in the next day with TWO friendship packs. Meaning 4 brand new Tamagotchis. That made my blood boil, since she didn't let ANYONE touch them and they were constantly sick and overweight. I eventually got my own some months later, but the fad died out after 2nd grade. I was the only person who continues to collect through 3rd grade, 4th, 5th, and 6th 7th and 8th (though for the last 3 I was hiding them in my desk and avoiding letting my friends see them lol)

I still would like to collect, but....the newer versions (colour) are too expensive and by default are usually in Japanese :/

The Tamagotchi Connection V1 came out when I was in grade 6 or 7 at school, and everybody had one, except me. I watched all of my friends playing with theirs, and UFOtchi and Oniontchi were always my favourites. Unfortunately, my parents would not buy me my own Tamagotchi. Instead, on a trip to Southeast Asia, my mother bought me a pirated tamagotchi. Hanatchi and Robotchi were the only available characters, and the toy was virtually non-functional as you could not feed or play games, or connect with others.

There was always something magical about Tamagotchis for me, and I never lost interest. During high school I used to lurk on the forums, reading hatches, gazing in awe at everybody's beautiful Tamagotchis, hoping I'd have one of my own one day. I bought my first Tamagotchi while I was in uni, and the rest is history ^_^

• Like 2

I first saw the app on the App Store then I looked it up online then I ordered one off of Amazon for Christmas.

i was on tumblr and i saw a pic of a plush covered in tamagotchis and i was like "hm maybe i should search them up" and then i found tamatalk now I'm here. also i saw a commercial for a tama-go and i was like 'YOOOOOO" and i couldn't stop talking about it then i bought one and threw it on the floor because it wouldn't poop

I'm not sure, But I had a tamagotchi from the age of around 5, so when I saw a new version in the shops I wanted to relive my childhood.

ive always been an animal lover... so the idea of a virtual pet was extremely appealing to me. :P i couldnt resist when i saw it in the store and read what it was.

I was going on a road trip all the way across the country with my parents when I was 5 years old (we're talking days of driving here). Before we left, my mum presented me with a Tamagotchi, to "keep me company" in the backseat. I loved it, an was hooked instantly XD

That particular tamagotchi is quite well-travelled now, btw, it became a tradition for me to bring it along on trips.

• Like 1

It's really my father's influence that drew me towards Tamagotchi. He bought my first childhood Tamagotchi for me after reading a newspaper article on what a craze they were in Japan. ♥

They first came out when I was like 6 or 7...That Christmas everyone had one in my neighborhood and at school. I had received a Nano Pet, and then a few months alter on my birthday, a Panda Byte, Nano Double and some other randon vpets that had come out around that time. At school, I traded often with one of my friends that had one of the very first tama's from Japan, and an Angel. Many year after when I was in like the 7th grade or so, I came across a P1 at a friends house while we were cleaning her room and she gave it to me along with a Giga Pets Salem as she didn't care for them. Score! Over the years as each of the new versions came out I had already had a job of my own, so I would go buy at least two. Around 2007 or so my parents started making fun of me as I was getting married and "still playing with toys". I sold a few on Ebay and made a bunch of money which blew them all away. (In hindsight I wish I hadn't..I have since replaced all but one. My V1 :( ) My husband told me to continue collecting if I wanted to and not to listen to anyone else...so I continued...and he supported the habit LOL. He'd come home from the store with a pair when he'd find them and each year that there is a release he takes me great distances to find them in stores. He's awesome :) Here I am about to turn 28 in a few days, and my collection is still growing.

• Like 2

I was five and went to a Christmas party for my juvenile diabetes support group (I had only had it for a year, and it was for young diabetic kids), and we had a gift exchange. We, or in reality it was our parents ;w;, would bring in a gift and we'd pass them around. Mine happened to be an orange P1, brand new. I loved that tama, carried it around on a necklace chain everywhere, even to kindergarten (I'm surprised my teacher let me have it, but I did have it on silent at school). I even remember having a Kutchipatchi stuffed toy that was reversible and turned into an egg.

Unfortunately, I grew bored of it after a couple years and it went into a toy box to be forgotten about until I was ten and traded it for a jewelry holder in a school bargain fair. I deeply regret doing so, and that's why I'm trying so hard to get my hands on another.

However, when I was in high school, the V3s, V4s, and V4.5s were new and popular, and I decided to give it another try and I've been hooked since. ^_^

• Like 1

Had no idea what they were and at the age of nine bought two for fifty cents each off a friend had no idea how to work them put them away and then start of thisnyearbi found one and decided to run it my v4 and think the other was a v4.5 don't know then bought more off a friend and now love them.

Jorgmae

A very old friend of mine, Zach, showed me the release video of the Connection V3 (the first tamagotchi to release in America I think?) I told my mom, and she got me one for Christmas.

Back in '97, I really wanted a puppy but my parents didn't think I was ready for the responsibility. My cousin, who was a couple years older than me, had something close to twenty of these new virtual pet things called Tamagotchis (my dad to this day calls them "Tagamoochies" which got on my nerves so badly as a kid hahaha) and she suggested that I take care of one first to see if I was ready for a serious pet. She let me borrow one of hers, it was yellow with black tiger stripes and black buttons. I raised it to adulthood and it died of old age, and because I took such good care of it my parents let me get a puppy!! My cousin actually let me keep the Tamagotchi since she had so many others, and as far as I now it is still somewhere at my parent's house. I freaking loved that thing, and just recently got an ID L while on a nostalgia kick. :)

All I remember was my mom buying one for me back in the late 90's and giving it to me. I loved it to bits. I believe it was the original tamagotchi in the yellow color with orange in the cracked bits. I have loved them since.

I was at the mall, and went into Toys R Us for a birthday gift for a friend's child. This was in 1997. I got my gift for the child, and saw the huge display for the Tamagotchis. I had seen the ads on TV, so I went over to take a look. I bought my first tama that day--a royal blue p2 with black around the screen, and yellow buttons. And they were selling out quickly, too. I went back the next week and bought a clear dark blue p1 with yellow buttons. Both of these tamas still work perfectly today. About a month later, I went back and bought a turquoise p1, a clear light blue p2, and a clear p2, all of those I still have as well. I guess that's what got me onto tamas. Then the craze died out, and nothing til 2004, when I bought a v1. Then I got serious about collecting, and that brings my collection to where it is today.