Tamagotchi "more suitable for girls"?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggie Biscuit

Reaction score
For those of you who know about the classic Tamagotchis, you'll notice that they're not as pink and sparkly and stuff as the current ones. Bandai originally designed Tamagotchi for both genders, then said that Tamagotchi was "more suitable for girls" as a "practice for nurturing children" and designed Digimon for boys. Although I'm a female, I am a dog so I don't really know aboot this, but I think that both of these pets are perfectly fine for both genders, and I'm kind of mad at Nintendo for assuming that only boys play Pokémon (of course the professors asking your gender is pretty weird). Also, don't you think that having something that regularly dies or leaves isn't a very good "practice for nurturing children"?

Sorry that this is so long.

Boys can like pink and sparkly stuff too...it fits the cuteness of the characters, I guess. And Tamagotchi IS the type of thing you'd see for girls on the toy market, as it's a virtual pet involving feeding/bathing/etc. My Little Pony is super girly too but I don't see bronies complaining about it being too girly, so I wish Tamagotchi fans would be the same.

There are a lot of girly designs from the earlier versions. I think it's that the later ones are girly in a different way and there's only girlier designs.

But even some girls don't want/like the girly shells.

I think Tamagotchi should be for both genders. What is so "girly" about wanting to take care of a pet? Guys have pets too. That is one thing I like about the older Tamagotchi. There was so many different shell designs for both genders.

I've posted about this before. I mean, the target demographic for Tamagotchi definitely seems to be females, but that doesn't mean guys can't enjoy them, too. I agree, they should make more gender neutral designs, but the "girly" ones don't really bother me too much.

Boys can like pink and sparkly stuff too...it fits the cuteness of the characters, I guess. And Tamagotchi IS the type of thing you'd see for girls on the toy market, as it's a virtual pet involving feeding/bathing/etc. My Little Pony is super girly too but I don't see bronies complaining about it being too girly, so I wish Tamagotchi fans would be the same.
The problem with that is when I entered the world of Tamagotchi it was for both genders. It has transferred over to girly pink stuff. It did not use to be that way. My Little Pony was always targeted for girls, it did not switch over to girly content. There is a big difference between a gender neutral product that goes to a female product, compared to a female based product staying a female based product.

-Puri-

I'm a guy. I don't really mind the femininity surrounding tamagotchi, in fact I enjoy some of it. It is a girly thing, there's no going around it. I stopped caring because people will always find a way to tease you. There's some kids at my school who gets made fun of for being rich and some who get teased for things they can't control or didn't do. And if there isn't a little flaw they can use against you, they'll make one up. So I say keep making girly tamas.

There are a lot of girly designs from the earlier versions. I think it's that the later ones are girly in a different way and there's only girlier designs.

But even some girls don't want/like the girly shells.
This. I´m some of this girls. I just love the times when Tamagotchi was for everyone :mellow:

The problem with that is when I entered the world of Tamagotchi it was for both genders. It has transferred over to girly pink stuff. It did not use to be that way. My Little Pony was always targeted for girls, it did not switch over to girly content. There is a big difference between a gender neutral product that goes to a female product, compared to a female based product staying a female based product.

-Puri-
I totally agree with you

I'm a guy and I really don't like the tama friends because of this (even though the friends is a really fun tama) I miss the older ones that were more gender neutral

The beauty of the Japanese tamas, these days, is the fact that the faceplates are removable/customizable. They sell gender neutral colors like yellow, blue, and green and you can customize the faceplate to be as manly as you want. I think that's pretty rad.

I'm a gal and while I like girly things, I do try to look more refined in my daily aesthetic and with things like tamas being carried around on one's person for long stretches of time, I like it to match my aesthetic(which is more simplistic and involved lots of black because of how it's harder to stain and it looks very classic). The fact that they pretty much don't make tamas in darker colors any more makes me pretty sad.

Bandai has definitely marketed the Tamagotchi more for girls, but there's nothing wrong with guys liking it :)

While I agree that Tamagotchi should be marketed for all genders, the majority of collectors I've seen have been women. I think that's why the franchise has transitioned to ideas/concepts that are easily marketable to a female audience. Despite this I think Bandai has done a decent attempt of keeping some gender neutral elements in the franchise, but it's obvious who their main demographic is. Why some people think boys shouldn't play games about nurturing or taking care of animals is beyond me. :huh:

The beauty of the Japanese tamas, these days, is the fact that the faceplates are removable/customizable. They sell gender neutral colors like yellow, blue, and green and you can customize the faceplate to be as manly as you want. I think that's pretty rad.

I'm a gal and while I like girly things, I do try to look more refined in my daily aesthetic and with things like tamas being carried around on one's person for long stretches of time, I like it to match my aesthetic(which is more simplistic and involved lots of black because of how it's harder to stain and it looks very classic). The fact that they pretty much don't make tamas in darker colors any more makes me pretty sad.
That's kind of a problem if you don't live in Japan. I'm so jealous - :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back