Help getting back into tamagotchis

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImBadAtNames

Reaction score
What do you guys think is the best tamagotchi in terms of having the most features and good animals and things? also something thats easier to get and not too expensive... I have a japanese tamagaotchi called an entama and a tama town tama go, but i hate them both, one for being unable to play because i cant read japanese and the other is because its big and bulky so i cant take it out with me and im limited to what i can do for only having one tamagotchi figure. Can anyone recommend a good cheap tamagotchi version and maybe even some tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on what you're looking for in terms of how advanced it should be, how high maintenance you want it to be, how large, whether you want the screen to be in colour, etc.

- The vintages are small and very simple in comparison to the ones you have now, with a sort of cute theme for each one released after the original p1 and p2. They vary in maintenance level required, look them up individually for example here.

- The connection series are similar in size and graphics to your entama, but in english.

v1-v3 are simpler, with v1 being the very simplest. v2-v3 have a LOT of characters. They are all gender neutral and seem to have no structured growth pattern or way to predict what character you're gonna get, which is either fun, cute and refreshing or irritating depending on how you want to look at it. Games and items are plentiful and just fine. v3 has two more games, but v2 gives a more vintage-y feeling;) Average to low maintenance.

v4-v4.5 would be the standard connections. They are the most reliable in predicting what character you will get, thanks to the skill point system. They have fun games, a good amount of characters, go to school and get a job with a minigame as adults. Average maintenance.

v5 and v5.5 are family-themed tamagotchis, where you care for up to three at once. Apart from the family-themed character set, they are rather simple and low maintenance. Wide screen, like the tama-go, but no grayscale.

v6 is the Music Star. A really fun pet in which the aim is to make your tamagotchi a first-ranked rock star, but high maintenance. Wide screen, like the tama-go, but no grayscale.

- The color tamagotchis are quite a lot bigger than the connections, yet smaller than the tama-go. They feature lcd-screens in colour, more modern and humanoid characters, and a sort of progressive gameplay where you earn more locations for your tama to go to the further you progress with the generations. Medium to low maintenance for the different versions. All are in japanese though, with few exceptions. The ID L came out in english in a special Hong Kong release, but they're really hard to catch hold of by now and pretty expensive. Best shot for an english colour tama is probably the p's. There is an english patch for the tamagotchi p's on the internet, that you download via infrared using a phone with IR or an IR-usb device. Friendly tamatalkers will help you with this if you decide to catch hold of a p's. They are rather low maintenance and have lots of fun features, downloadable items and games, but the characters are mostly girly-humanoid-modern.

- Most of the special releases are in japanese, so I won't mention them here. One fun and quirky special tamagotchi is in english though - the tamawalkie. A pedometer pet that features a tamagotchi (you choose one out of three at the startup) traveling around USA to fix his/her broken spaceship and collect souvenirs. It requires a lot of walking or shaking, but is cute and fun with nice minigames otherwise. A good choice if you like walking and want a tamagotchi that's... not ordinary;)

If any of these tamas caught your interest - google them for more in-depth descriptions. There are also really good youtube reviews on almost all versions. Personally, I'd probably recommend a connection. Though a bit older now, you can still find them online for good prices. They're in english, have a good size, and a good amount of features and cute characters for one who wants to get back into tamagotchi. v1 if you like simple, music star if you like a challenge. v2-v4.5 for something in between.

Good luck! :D

It all depends on what you're looking for in terms of how advanced it should be, how high maintenance you want it to be, how large, whether you want the screen to be in colour, etc.

- The vintages are small and very simple in comparison to the ones you have now, with a sort of cute theme for each one released after the original p1 and p2. They vary in maintenance level required, look them up individually for example here.

- The connection series are similar in size and graphics to your entama, but in english.

v1-v3 are simpler, with v1 being the very simplest. v2-v3 have a LOT of characters. They are all gender neutral and seem to have no structured growth pattern or way to predict what character you're gonna get, which is either fun, cute and refreshing or irritating depending on how you want to look at it. Games and items are plentiful and just fine. v3 has two more games, but v2 gives a more vintage-y feeling;) Average to low maintenance.

v4-v4.5 would be the standard connections. They are the most reliable in predicting what character you will get, thanks to the skill point system. They have fun games, a good amount of characters, go to school and get a job with a minigame as adults. Average maintenance.

v5 and v5.5 are family-themed tamagotchis, where you care for up to three at once. Apart from the family-themed character set, they are rather simple and low maintenance. Wide screen, like the tama-go, but no grayscale.

v6 is the Music Star. A really fun pet in which the aim is to make your tamagotchi a first-ranked rock star, but high maintenance. Wide screen, like the tama-go, but no grayscale.

- The color tamagotchis are quite a lot bigger than the connections, yet smaller than the tama-go. They feature lcd-screens in colour, more modern and humanoid characters, and a sort of progressive gameplay where you earn more locations for your tama to go to the further you progress with the generations. Medium to low maintenance for the different versions. All are in japanese though, with few exceptions. The ID L came out in english in a special Hong Kong release, but they're really hard to catch hold of by now and pretty expensive. Best shot for an english colour tama is probably the p's. There is an english patch for the tamagotchi p's on the internet, that you download via infrared using a phone with IR or an IR-usb device. Friendly tamatalkers will help you with this if you decide to catch hold of a p's. They are rather low maintenance and have lots of fun features, downloadable items and games, but the characters are mostly girly-humanoid-modern.

- Most of the special releases are in japanese, so I won't mention them here. One fun and quirky special tamagotchi is in english though - the tamawalkie. A pedometer pet that features a tamagotchi (you choose one out of three at the startup) traveling around USA to fix his/her broken spaceship and collect souvenirs. It requires a lot of walking or shaking, but is cute and fun with nice minigames otherwise. A good choice if you like walking and want a tamagotchi that's... not ordinary;)

If any of these tamas caught your interest - google them for more in-depth descriptions. There are also really good youtube reviews on almost all versions. Personally, I'd probably recommend a connection. Though a bit older now, you can still find them online for good prices. They're in english, have a good size, and a good amount of features and cute characters for one who wants to get back into tamagotchi. v1 if you like simple, music star if you like a challenge. v2-v4.5 for something in between.

Good luck! :D
Im looking into all of these, but theres one thing i saw that i wanted to ask about, what do you think about the tamagotchi friends dreamtown? it looks like its the most recent realease here in america, but idk if its any good. do you have anything you can tell me about it? it looks like a american version of the color tamagotchis in japan, except no color. is it like the colors? and is it able to fit in a pocket still? i couldnt tell the size difference from the japan colors to this one but the japan color tamagotchis look like they would be easier to fit in a pocket.

Im looking into all of these, but theres one thing i saw that i wanted to ask about, what do you think about the tamagotchi friends dreamtown? it looks like its the most recent realease here in america, but idk if its any good. do you have anything you can tell me about it? it looks like a american version of the color tamagotchis in japan, except no color. is it like the colors? and is it able to fit in a pocket still? i couldnt tell the size difference from the japan colors to this one but the japan color tamagotchis look like they would be easier to fit in a pocket.
The Tamagotchi Friends Dreamtown is around the size of a tama-go, but is a little bit slimmer. They could definitely fit in a pocket.

I'd personally recommend the Tamagotchi V4, but all the ones that Jokus mentioned are great too.

Lol, I guess I forgot to mention the TMGCFriends. Maybe because it did not appeal to me personally at all. But still, I'd say it's very similar to the tama-go. Slightly less bulky, more modern characters and larger, more detailed character sprites. Apart from the graphics and the new NFC communication, it's pretty simple set, like the connections or the tama-go without figurines. Low maintenance. Some people complain about the grayscale being unskillfully made, to the point where it's difficult to see the character. Not everyone has that problem though, it seems to be different between different tamas. In any case, the TMGCFriends does deserve to be mentioned in my short little english-tamagotchi-runthrough :p

If you like the grayscale concept and character set it might be worth trying. They're not expensive online. About bulkiness, there should be size comparision pics if you google it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back