Sign in to follow this  
Yumecantchi000

Ghibli movies!

Are you a Studio Ghibli fan? Tell us what was the last Ghibli movie you watched!

I just watched The Tale of Princess Kaguya

i'm not a huge fan in the regards i need to watch more of ghiblis work but i enjoy what i have seen!

last watched was howls moving castle i believe?

I'm a HUGE Studio Ghibli fan! :D

I think I've watched every single Ghibli movie out there, except the one you saw (I already own it though).

If you want some movie advice, the best Ghibli movies in my opinion are:

-Spirited Away

-Howl's moving castle

-Princess Mononoke (not so light-hearted nor too much child-friendly)

-Kiki's Delivery Service

-

More "childish":

-My Neighbour Totoro

-Ponyo on the Cliff

Last movie I watched: When Marnie was there ---> sweet, deep and visually stunning ^_^

• Like 1

I love their movies! To date I have seen every movie they have released. ^_^ Currently my favorite is Kiki's Delivery Service.

I believe the last one I watched was When Marine Was There? It was a wonderful film, I highly recommend it.

I'm a fan! I last watched Kiki's Delivery Service.

I own Kiki's delivery service on VHS, I watched it a while ago.

I'm a big fan of Ghibli. I love Nausicaa, Howls, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Princess Kaguya, Totoro and The Cat Returns. My least favourite is Princess Mononoke - cannot understand the hype. My absolute favourite is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and though it was technically produced before Ghibli was founded, Miyazaki expanded upon the film in a thrilling & beautiful manga series that is completely worth the read. I've also got a few "The Art Of" books, which detail the artwork in Ghibli movies. And the music... Ghibli sound tracks are just amazing :lol:

Hmm, I think the one I watched most recently is Porco Rosso.

• Like 1

I've been a fan of Ghilbli films for quite a few years.

I was originally drawn to them for the beautiful art and animation in things like Porco Rosso and Spirited Away.

(@ CBLS - I have "The Art of Spirited Away" - it's a fabulous book)

I've several favorites that I watch (fairly) regularly, depending on my mood and who else is going to watch the film with me:

Totoro, Whisper of the Heart and Porco Rosso (occasionally Howl's Moving Castle).

More recently I've watched From Up on Poppy Hill and The Wind Rises, both of which I really enjoy. Can't remember which of the two I watched most recently.

• Like 1

I really want to get around to watching all of them, although I've only watched Kiki's Delivery Service and From Up on Poppy Hill.

Im currently watching Pompoko and before that I watched Tales From Earthsea

Oh, and today I watched Howl's Moving Castle. I really like the storyline.

And I'll make a rough list of the Ghibli movies I've watched. Pompoko, The Wind Rises, The Cat Returns, The Borrower Arietty, Totoro, Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Tales From Earthsea and Journey To Agartha.

My least favorite is Tales From Earthsea, as I don't understand why the prince goes out of control suddenly and doesn't believe in living to the fullest. My favourite is Howl's Moving Castle, especially at the part when Howl summons the dark spirits, turns into green gloop and his towel drops off his butt just because his hair changed colour. :P

Edited by Yumecantchi000

I can see why it was your least fav: "Tales from Earthsea" is not actually by Hayao Miyazaki, but by his son Goro. This movie wasn't really appreciated by the reviewers, plus it comes from a series of book that I've read. There are five of these books and the movie is a mix of them all, mostly about the last one. But I can say for sure the story of the movie is almost completely made up and has almost nothing to do with the real book (e.g. in the book the prince is older, he doesn't know Therru so well, the enemy is not really the one depicted in the movie since it should belong to the third book (where Therru isn't even born) while Therru and the timeline showed in the movie mostly belong to the 5th book...).

I've watched Journey to Agartha, but it's not by Studio Ghibli if I'm not wrong ;)

Tales from Earthsea is an interesting film. It's not terrible, but it comes off as a lot worse then it actually is given the amazing quality of the rest of the Studio Ghibli movies. My big complaint with it is that I felt like it didn't explain the world or some of the character's motives very well. :P

Journey to Agartha isn't a Studio Ghibli film, but it does have a very similar look! ^_^

• Like 1

Tales from Earthsea is an interesting film. It's not terrible, but it comes off as a lot worse then it actually is given the amazing quality of the rest of the Studio Ghibli movies. My big complaint with it is that I felt like it didn't explain the world or some of the character's motives very well. :P

Journey to Agartha isn't a Studio Ghibli film, but it does have a very similar look! ^_^

Oh! I didn't know journey to Agartha isn't Ghibli! I quite agree with you about Tales from Earthsea. I still don't really know what all the true names are for...

Edited by Yumecantchi000

I watched Spirited Away and When Marnie Was There last night

I watched "Only Yesterday". Got the DVD to add to my collection for my birthday :)