Sign in to follow this  
Yamiko

4U+ Or the M!X?

I'm currently enjoying my tamagotchi P (and currently saving up for another one) but I was wondering if the 4u+ or if the mix was worth the money to add to my collection. Should I get the 4U+ or the Mix? What has the most content and what is the most fun I really want to know.

I have both a 4U+ and all three M!X versions, and I enjoy them all! I think it depends on what you are hoping to get out of another Tamagotchi. The 4U/+ has similar gameplay to the P's (raise a Tama, collect TamaTomo, marry repeat) whereas the M!X is completely different.

The 4U/+, if I remember correctly, was marketed towards young adults as opposed to young children and so I do think it has a more 'sophisticated' feel to it. It's also one of the least needy Tamagotchi models (I've forgotten to pause it before work and come home to find it still alive, albeit unwell) to help it fit around busier schedules. It seems to be that the biggest problem people have with the 4U/+ is the lack of inbuilt content; for example, there's only ten/twelve inbuilt characters to raise. The idea of this was that it was a 'bare bones' Tamagotchi that you're meant to fully customise with downloads, but not everyone has easy access to these as not only do you need an NFC device you need the right kind of NFC. My phone is compatible, so since day one I've had access to the downloads for my 4U+, which may be why my personal view is a bit more positive than others. I really like the 4U+; I think it's got some really fun animations.

The goal of the M!X is just to raise and marry Tamas. Some people love this, some people find this tiresome. I like to pick it up for a bit, raise a few generations then put it down again and focus on a more goal orientated Tama (e.g., the P's). I got my Anni. M!X for Christmas so I am actually running most of them at the moment so they can connect, unlock places, etc. The M!X easily has the best graphics (the icon bar is 'off screen', meaning the animation window is larger, meaning more detail) and has some utterly adorable animations. It does has some flaws though, such as I find earning GP a bit of a grind at times, although it does have four in built games (only two at the Arcade though, which is annoying when you're trying to earn GP as if you're playing a game at a location it takes you back to your Living Room, rather than the menu, after each play through). It's not without it's flaws though; the Spacey/Melody version needs to connect to two other M!Xes to unlock all of the locations; if you don't, you could potentially not have access to six of the twenty-seven characters to marry; this is what made me put mine down originally as I found it highly frustrating (all unlocked now though). The Anni. version doesn't have this priblem though; everything can be unlocked on the one unit. The offspring also don't alwyas mix fantastically; on my Melody ver. I had a purple Kikitchi and his daughter was a dark blue Kotohimetchi, despite both being several generations in and should have had traits from a number of different characters.

I like both, to be honest, and I think it's hard to say whether the 4U+ or M!X is 'better' as the gameplay is so different.

The 4U/4U+ was an overall big letdown for me. I want most of my pets to have everything built-in the unit instead of almost requiring you to invest in additional gear to get the full use of it. I mean 12/13 adults even with the multiple personality stages was a poor choice after having all the options with the P and it's numerous pierces. You also have the issue that some of the characters are/were unobtainable for those outside of Japan due to the touchcard system that required you to go to certain physical locations with your 4U/4U+. Or the other option for more content was an app that was/is technically only available for Japanese tama owners. It just felt less like cool DLC and more like actually unlocking the full potential of your pet. I know for many, this wasn't an issue but I was not a fan.

The M!X however, has felt like a tama that's gone back to its roots with a bit of a spin on the original formula. It's about raising pets, not having an interactive accessory (which is what tamagotchi seemed to be trending toward with its recent iterations IMO). The only difference is that it's less about the care and more about the mixing of "genetics" to see what outcomes you'll get as you proceed through the generations. The biggest let down being that it's impossible to have a "pure" tama after Gen1 although careful breeding with other M!Xs can get you close. The other let down is you honestly need two M!Xs minimum to be able to unlock most locations/tamagotchis. Otherwise, it's pretty fun to see what interesting mixes you can get.

I couldn't decide between them so I bought them both! lol I have no self control.