Buy New or Buy Used?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blooperz00

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a colored Tamagotchi soon, a P I think, so I'm searching Amazon and ebay. They're going for 100 US dollars these days -- I used to pay 20 bucks for a connection tama back in the day! If you get it used, it's half the price! - but I'm seeing they are VERY used.

Is it just what I'm seeing or does the screen scratch super easily on the Ps/colored tamas, and dirt can get between the top layer of clear plastic and the colored plastic? Are these owners being really causal with their tamas or is it hard to keep them in good condition? I've only ever had connections and they don't get that beat up.

If they get beat up easily, maybe I'd rather save 50 bucks and buy one used. If it's gonna get messed up anyway. And then I can take it with me places and actually care for it rather than be afraid of touching it for fear it gets scratched. Another element for me is getting one already English patched cuz I can't be bothered to buy an infra red phone AND its charger, and all the time patching myself. I'm not a techie.
imageproxy.php

At the same time, if I'm paying money for a new tamagotchi, I want the excitement of it being pristine, and only mine.

So for you all - do you buy used or brand new?

You basically asked the questions I wanted to ask ^^' So I can't hep you there
I bought a used P in english and it didn't seem in that bad condition from the photos (I've seen some photos of very dirty Ps). It'll be a long time till it gets here though (probably 2-3 months). I'm looking to buy another one and I still have the same doubts as you... There's a seller offering english brand new ones (opened only to patch I imagine?), at a high price (to me), or I could get used english P's for much lower with a deco pierce already! I wish I could just get both haha...

I've only bought new Tama's up untill now because I'm ridiculoulsy carefull with my stuff. I want it to stay in 'good as new condition' for as long as possible! I did order a Tamagotchi ID a week ago that was secondhand. But from the pictures it didn't look bad at all. As soon as it arrives (which will probably be within two weeks) I'll let you know what I think of it. I did look for the best looking second hand Tama, and I bought it from a guy with a 100% rating. I've also seen Japanyouwant offer quite some secondhand Tama's, they check their stuff and describe the state and show you lot's of good pictures to give you a good impression of the Tama. I would advice you to look at their stuff. I have very good experiences with them. (They've got an online store and they organise auctions on ebay every few weeks.)

I agree with LilyLoop, I prefer to buy my tamas new whenever I can. I have bought a few used connections off of Ebay before and I wasn't overly disappointed. One of them had unresponsive buttons but I didn't worry too much about that because it was one of four V1's that came with the package. :p If you want to buy used because it's cheaper, then try buying from a seller with a 90%-100% rating (which is not what I did... -_- ). Not only are their products normally in better condition but you can count on a refund if you are unsatisfied with your purchase (most of the time anyway). It's up to you on what you want to do though. I hope you like whichever one you choose to get! ^_^

I ended up buying a blue new one, but what I took into account most was that it's probably harder to find english tamas that are new than used, and that I already bought one secondhand (and also that I wanted a blue one slightly more). New one was pretty pricey though https://www.ebay.com/itm/272441951639

nice! I managed to buy two second hand p's for that price. I ordered some displex to take care of the screens

I buy used with almost all of my tamas. It's very hard to find the Connection series tamas in box with the shell design I want and the price I'm willing to pay. The color tamas I own were all bought new because I often bought them close to release which means the market really didn't have used ones at the time. I still probably would've bought them new because I love the joy of opening a brand new tama and being the first one to get my hands on it. It's silly but growing up with hand-me-downs, it's nice being "first" for once.

I buy used with almost all of my tamas. It's very hard to find the Connection series tamas in box with the shell design I want and the price I'm willing to pay. The color tamas I own were all bought new because I often bought them close to release which means the market really didn't have used ones at the time. I still probably would've bought them new because I love the joy of opening a brand new tama and being the first one to get my hands on it. It's silly but growing up with hand-me-downs, it's nice being "first" for once.
Yes! this guy gets it! I am the youngest in my family so I'm used to hand-me-downs so a little wear doesn't really matter as long as I can take care of it or fix it.

As promised, my opinion on my first secondhand Tama. It's in a better shape than expected and I'm a 100% relieved with the result! :tarakotchi: I bought this Tama for a good price from a seller with a 100% rating, and it has only a few minor scratches. About 99.5% of the Tama is in perfect condition, not even dirty or discoloured and everything works fine! I'm very satisfied because I paid less than half of the new price. I would encourage you if you're on a tight budget to look at secondhand Tama's, because new P's are insanely expensive! I also want one, but I can't afford to buy one new. Look for those sellers with a (near) 100% rating, look for a Tama that looks great in the pictures (no stockphoto's!), and try! :) Hope you found this useful. :wub:

I've gotten quite a few of mine second hand. Nothing at all wrong with it, and if you can see the device (or pics there of), it won't be a big deal. Look at pics carefully, ask questions, and you'll be good to go. Most of mine were in mint condition with little to no blemishes. Displex fixes scratches on the screen almost as good as new.

Of course, the feeling of unboxing a brand new anything is extremely thrilling! But that'll depend on if you're willing to pay the full price, or willing to settle for one that is used, but in good condition. I would ask or look very carefully at the Tamagotchi itself to see if there's any dents, scratches or chipping and so on.

I have bought one used Tamagotchi 4U online on TradeMe, their description was accurate when they said that it was in near perfect condition (tbh at that time i wouldn't have minded a little scratch or anything bc i really wanted to try out a colour tamagotchi haha).

My used tama came in really great, almost perfect condition. I love it and don't mind not having the box, I don't have room to keep it.

Up until this point, I've only bought the color tamas new rather than used (connections are a different matter, since they're older at this point). That being said, I'm going to be switching to used from now, if there's a good deal. Like you, my connections that I bought new back in the day are still in good condition. My color tamas, though, have been getting beaten up so easily...My ID L has multiple scratches all over the screen (with one particularly nasty one in the middle that can clearly be seen while playing), and there is dust and dirt inside the clear plastic. I've hardly carried it around because I'm so paranoid about damaging it, and I generally take very good care of my things; I like keeping my electronics in like new condition. It *still* ended up looking pretty beaten up like this, despite my best efforts.

Same with my Mix. I had to clean the screen, and I used a clean, soft cloth, the same kind I use to clean my glasses and all other electronic screens. I was as gentle as possible, and the screen was horribly scratched by the end. Never had this happen before with any other screen. I still have my Gameboy, Gameboy Color/Advance, PSP, old cellphones, etc. and they're in great condition over all these years. It's my color tamas specifically that have ended up scratched.

Also, you said: "And then I can take it with me places and actually care for it rather than be afraid of touching it for fear it gets scratched."

I 100% agree with this. Part of me is actually glad my Mix is scratched up now, because I no longer have to worry about keeping it in good condition and can just have fun with it. It's still going in its case when not in use, but it's easier to enjoy and bring around when it's no longer in excellent/mint condition. I'm thinking of deliberately getting a beaten-up Plus Color for this very reason. If it's going to look mauled no matter what I do, might as well skip all the stress and headache and get one already very used that I won't care about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a used pink tamagotchi p's from japanyouwant.com ! It was SGD 69 including shipping.

(you can just skip to the TLDR)

I had to choose between that or this tamagotchi that was:

- yellow (not my preffered colour)
- SGD 50 (38 if i guess the seller's favourite animal right!)

- used, however the plastic/glass part where the deco-piece is meant to be was cracked

- patched to english

It was really hard for me to choose, because there is a major price difference, but one was cracked and the other one was basically perfect (except it didnt have a box/manual) <and had the default deco piece> with imo, the price difference wasnt that big the more i think about it (idrk LOL)

I also considered to buy a new tamagotchi because of the pristine-ness and all that, but I prefer getting a cheaper one, but at a good quality, thats why I didnt buy the SGD 50 one :) Tbh, the only reason I didnt get a new one because it can cost $100 which imo, is way too much. Moreover, I focus on the gameplay than the newness of a product

Sadly I can't answer the part of your question whether these tamagotchis get beat up easily, but as people always say, things can last for a long time if you take good care of it!

TLDR: Find tamagotchis that catch your eye the most and slowly compare their features/qualities against their price, then decide! It depends what youre looking for :) If you plan to get a used one, however, you should inspect it properly in pictures and see if youre okay with it (the tama I bought was basically perfect compared to others I've seen) and make sure the seller is good and trustworthy, of course :)

I hope I helped, even if it was a little bit!

I like to get used pets, not only because NIP ones are overpriced (and UFF DA are they overpriced!), but I also have some experience with opening up the buggers to completely clean them out, reflow their solder, and get them going good as new. I always feel happy knowing that I've saved it from the back of a closet somewhere! ^_^

@CTF@

I have never bought a used one and don't think I ever would... I'm really fussy about them being dirty or scratched :eek:

It all depends on price, condition and the tamagotchi itself. If I can find a new one at a decent price (and it's one I truly want) then sure I'll get it but if I can same some cash and get a used one then I will do that to. I have gotten connections, vintages, and colours in both new and used conditions. And to be completely honest I really don't have a preference it all depends on price, and condition if its just wear and tear and the price reflects that great! If not well.. then that is a no go. If I can't find it used then I get it new. So yeah it all boils down to price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back