Sign in to follow this  
whitehat

Furby Connect Bluetooth Hacking

One of my acquaintances, Jeija, has been experimenting with the Bluetooth functionality of the Connect, and he's found some pretty interesting stuff!

Here's the YT video he made detailing the debug mode featured:

He also has a visual client you can use and download here: https://github.com/Jeija/bluefluff

Installation is tough on Windows, so I made a guide that I pasted into Discord. Here's the direct quote- I made it quickly, excuse the mess...

For those confused as to how to get @/Jeija's bluefluff nodejs app to run- you'll need MacOS or a Linux distro. For those of us without Apple products, you can download Linux Mint @ https://linuxmint.com/download.php . You'll also need a flash drive. Download http://gparted.org/ and write the .iso to a flashdrive. (Try Unetbootin.) After Gparted is done writing, restart your computer. Press either F11 or F12 as your computer begins to reboot. If you do it quickly, you'll access the BIOS settings. It's different with every distributor, but you may need to change your boot order. Find this in your settings and bring USB up to the top. Exit your BIOS settings. The computer should boot into GParted. Next, you'll want to partition your hard disk. Click and drag your root (In your case, it may be Windows) partition to take up about 3/4ths of the space. Then, make a new partition in the remaining space. Save and make sure you completely exit- TURN OFF your computer and take out the flash drive. Turn it on again and your computer will boot back into Windows. Next, you'll want to write the Linux Mint .iso to your flash drive. Restart your computer with the flash drive still in the port and allow Linux Mint's live version to boot. There should be a file on your desktop already allowing you to install Linux Mint. Click it, but make sure you install it on the smaller partition! If you're not careful, you can overwrite your existing OS.

In a new tab, go to this link and save the file. Install nodejs 7x. Go back to the GitHub page and click the green "clone or download" button and download BlueFluff as a ZIP. Open your Downloads folder and right-click the newly downloaded ZIP. Click "extract here". Now there should be a file called bluefluff-master in your downloads folder. Click the menu/start button and search for "terminal". Open it. Enter the following commands in your terminal: (You can do most of this in one big command, but for simplicity's sake...) cd Downloads

cd bluefluff-master

cd fluffd

sudo apt install npm (press 'Y' and enter)

After npm finishes downloading,

npm install

You've installed bluefluff. Whew.

This may seem overkill. So what's in it for us?

Well, a few things. There are programmed personalities (like the 2012!) that we can't get to yet, indicating that they will be added to the app or sold as a separate item at some point in the future... :) With the debug mode, you can view Furby's stats and study it's behavior under different circumstances. They are:

Wellness

Fullness

Displeasedness

Tiredness

Excitedness

I'm sorry for the rambling post! I thought this was pretty cool- let me know if you have problems with setup or code.

whitehat

Edited by whitehat

This is really cool! I unfortunately do not have a Furby Connect but if I did, I'd be all over this.

How deeply has the debug menu been dug into? It looks hard to read on those eyes.

This is really cool! I unfortunately do not have a Furby Connect but if I did, I'd be all over this.

How deeply has the debug menu been dug into? It looks hard to read on those eyes.

I don't have one either, but I've been experimenting with it's predecessors. :)

As for the debug, as far as possible. The eyes aren't actually horribly difficult to read if you hold him upright.

Jeija's GitHub page has information in /Docs/ about the individual features.

I started a new topic on this somewhere else - but is it possible to pass Bluetooth uploads to him in this way? (Like after they stop updating the app?) Or are they already installed and the app just tells him which one's are currently relevant?

I'm really getting tired of this current song.

-Codi