My tama got magnetized

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamiko

Reaction score
So, today at work my tama accidentally got in contact with a mag-key (aka magnet key). A mag-key is something that you use to take sensors off of product.

Well, it made my tama's screen turn blank. After 3 resets I would see my Sebiretchi go across the screen and go blank or if I hit the middle button to go see the time it would go half way between my character and the time screen. The longest that the screen stayed on was the 15 minute drive home from work and then once I parked it flashed the low battery sign three times and once again went blank.

Then, I took the battery out and tested it on a different tama and the battery was fine. So I put the original battery back in the tama and had it transfer the items I painstakingly required to another v4.

After a few exchanges with the other v4 It seems fine now pixels work fine and everything! Did having it interact with the other tama fix it?

Edit 2/6/2017:

So, after about 12 hours I have come with an update! So It's practically back to normal (although some of the pixels are a bit lighter. Oh well, can't win them all I suppose)! I can't use the cr 2025 batteries anymore on this tama (but they work just fine on my other tamas.) because it will eventually fade out. And what's strange is that my tama now works faster! So, if I press the middle button to go between Sebiretchi and the time screen it's about 1-2 seconds faster. So, yeah, If more stuff happens I will post photos and video if any more problems surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what I researched, it seems that magnets can affect Liquid Crystals (they make up the display)

Seems like it switched some crystals between on and off. The logic inside the Tama's display might have freaked out? Can't be too sure, educated guess.

Now, not 100% sure, but I think the effect of the magnet wore off. I'm pretty sure IR communication wouldn't do much. If I had to think of a reason why it worked, maybe it, in a sense, powered down a bit on the LCD, and poured more power into the IR transmission, in a sense, resetting the display.

Someone who knows more about this stuff could probably give a better explanation. I imagine I'm not too far off...

So, today at work my tama accidentally got in contact with a mag-key (aka magnet key). A mag-key is something that you use to take sensors off of product.

Well, it made my tama's screen turn blank. After 3 resets I would see my Sebiretchi go across the screen and go blank or if I hit the middle button to go see the time it would go half way between my character and the time screen. The longest that the screen stayed on was the 15 minute drive home from work and then once I parked it flashed the low battery sign three times and once again went blank.

Then, I took the battery out and tested it on a different tama and the battery was fine. So I put the original battery back in the tama and had it transfer the items I painstakingly required to another v4.

After a few exchanges with the other v4 It seems fine now pixels work fine and everything! Did having it interact with the other tama fix it?

Edit 2/6/2017:

So, after about 12 hours I have come with an update! So It's practically back to normal (although some of the pixels are a bit lighter. Oh well, can't win them all I suppose)! I can't use the cr 2025 batteries anymore on this tama (but they work just fine on my other tamas.) because it will eventually fade out. And what's strange is that my tama now works faster! So, if I press the middle button to go between Sebiretchi and the time screen it's about 1-2 seconds faster. So, yeah, If more stuff happens I will post photos and video if any more problems surface.
I see you pretty much have the problem solved (yay), but I saw you say something that could be an issue for you if you weren't told by anyone. :lol:

I saw you say you use cr2025 batteries. Those batteries are awful for keeping pixels lit properly, because they are not the right battery really, the best for running Tamas smooth is cr2032 and I recommend maxell or energizer. The cr2025 are too thin for the slot and move around inside the Tama. I've had to in circumstances use a cr2025 in my v3 , and to get it to work and fit properly I had to wedge paper behind the battery, and after a while it completely deteriorated the pixel quality of my Tama.

Hope that's maybe useful! :lol:

Good luck with your Tama! :kuribotchi:

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you pretty much have the problem solved (yay), but I saw you say something that could be an issue for you if you weren't told by anyone. :lol:

I saw you say you use cr2025 batteries. Those batteries are awful for keeping pixels lit properly, because they are not the right battery really, the best for running Tamas smooth is cr2032 and I recommend maxell or energizer. The cr2025 are too thin for the slot and move around inside the Tama. I've had to in circumstances use a cr2025 in my v3 , and to get it to work and fit properly I had to wedge paper behind the battery, and after a while it completely deteriorated the pixel quality of my Tama.

Hope that's maybe useful! :lol:

Good luck with your Tama! :kuribotchi:
Perhaps it was a good thing that I used a cr2025 because it's too small for the tama! It might've prevented more damage to the hardware when it was affected by the magnet.

Perhaps it was a good thing that I used a cr2025 because it's too small for the tama! It might've prevented more damage to the hardware when it was affected by the magnet.
I hadnt thought about it like that :lol:

Maybe a blessing in disguise then! Im glad your Tama was fine after awhile, you may have avoided some serious damage :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back