Weird V4 Battery Life

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Popgotchi

Reaction score
I've had to constantly see the dead battery screen displayed on my v4 and at this point, I'm certain there's something wrong with the Tama itself. When I put in another battery or hit the reset button, I'll press download to see that the age of my adult Tama is only one year old! It keeps jumping back to one year old and that really concerns me.

I even swapped the battery in my v4 with the one in my v3 to see if it was the battery that was causing it. The v3 is working perfectly, but my v4 would still fake the dead battery screen regardless...

Both use the CR2032 batteries. I don't know why my v4 is acting like this and it's annoying to see that the Tamagotchi will jump back to being one year old again.

EDIT

I took some pictures of what it looks like. I think the little flap thing to the right is sticking up a little bit too much? I don't know if that affects the battery.

R1FqS4P.jpg
aS80u0a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awful. It definitely sounds like there is something wrong with your V4 but I unfortunately can't give you any advice to fix it. I did remember reading of someone saying that they had a tamagotchi which was rather finicky with batteries and would reject them but I forget which model. My V4 did have somewhat of a similar problem where it showed the dead battery screen but, when I took out the battery and put it back in as a test, it worked fine. The battery screen eventually came up again a few weeks later so I replaced it that time.

Hopefully some of the more technically gifted members might have some advice, but it seems like you might have to replace your V4.

That's awful. It definitely sounds like there is something wrong with your V4 but I unfortunately can't give you any advice to fix it. I did remember reading of someone saying that they had a tamagotchi which was rather finicky with batteries and would reject them but I forget which model. My V4 did have somewhat of a similar problem where it showed the dead battery screen but, when I took out the battery and put it back in as a test, it worked fine. The battery screen eventually came up again a few weeks later so I replaced it that time.

Hopefully some of the more technically gifted members might have some advice, but it seems like you might have to replace your V4.
It happened again when I woke up -_-

I gave the battery and the battery slot a good wipe to see if that was the issue. I decided to keep the back cover off as I'm expecting the dead battery screen soon.

If the problem is still persisting, I'll stop running the Tama to see if that can fix it...I've had it for 4 generations and this started since the third generation.

It happened again when I woke up -_-

I gave the battery and the battery slot a good wipe to see if that was the issue. I decided to keep the back cover off as I'm expecting the dead battery screen soon.

If the problem is still persisting, I'll stop running the Tama to see if that can fix it...I've had it for 4 generations and this started since the third generation.
What brand of battery are you using?

I had a similar problem with a V4 when using a cheaper brand, in my case Sunbeam Batteries

What brand of battery are you using?

I had a similar problem with a V4 when using a cheaper brand, in my case Sunbeam Batteries
They're Panasonic CR2032 3V Lithium batteries.

Before that, I used the CR2032 that came with a whole bunch of others in varying sizes (that had a thin cardboard and plastic covering on top of them) and those worked fine on my other Tamas before.

Thanks for posting those pictures, Popgotchi, I think those will help diagnose the problem. On my V4, the prong (not sure that's the right term) does not stick up at all, in fact I just checked it and it is flat, perhaps a few millimeters above the part below it. Also, I'm a little confused at why the part below the prong is white, considering mines has a transparent sheet and then the green circuit boar below it. Did you by any chance put something underneath the transparent sheet?

From what I've seen I think the problem you are having is that the prong is pushing the battery upward and the back of your Tamagotchi is not strong enough to push it down, thus resulting in a weak connection triggering the low battery screen. Try removing the back and taping down the battery by putting a strong piece of tape (or layers of tape) over the battery horizontally so that the tape holds securely onto the sides of your Tamagotchi. Then put the back cover back on, screw it back in place, and see how that works out. For extra strength you could tape down the cover a bit also, probably best over the lower half where the battery is.

I hope this helps, and also this is the same method I used for my P2s and Angelgotchi that came without the back covers.

They're Panasonic CR2032 3V Lithium batteries.

Before that, I used the CR2032 that came with a whole bunch of others in varying sizes (that had a thin cardboard and plastic covering on top of them) and those worked fine on my other Tamas before.
Try a different brand. I've never used a Panasonic battery, so I'm unsure of their success in a V4 Tama.

Try a different brand. I've never used a Panasonic battery, so I'm unsure of their success in a V4 Tama.
I did, and still the same symptoms. It would be a blank screen, I'd press reset, download, then it becomes blank after a few hours. I'm pretty sure it's something wrong inside now. I took a pic of it.
oATQF9O.jpg

Thanks for posting those pictures, Popgotchi, I think those will help diagnose the problem. On my V4, the prong (not sure that's the right term) does not stick up at all, in fact I just checked it and it is flat, perhaps a few millimeters above the part below it. Also, I'm a little confused at why the part below the prong is white, considering mines has a transparent sheet and then the green circuit boar below it. Did you by any chance put something underneath the transparent sheet?

From what I've seen I think the problem you are having is that the prong is pushing the battery upward and the back of your Tamagotchi is not strong enough to push it down, thus resulting in a weak connection triggering the low battery screen. Try removing the back and taping down the battery by putting a strong piece of tape (or layers of tape) over the battery horizontally so that the tape holds securely onto the sides of your Tamagotchi. Then put the back cover back on, screw it back in place, and see how that works out. For extra strength you could tape down the cover a bit also, probably best over the lower half where the battery is.

I hope this helps, and also this is the same method I used for my P2s and Angelgotchi that came without the back covers.
Ah I thought that prong(??) sticking up might have been an issue. I've included a picture so you can see more clearly. I've never modified it before, so it's always been like that.

As you can see in the picture, there is a strange...discolouration on the left side with the brown circle...is that normal?

I'll try to put some tape around the battery and such to see if it'll help

EDIT: erm, all of a sudden my purchased foods, items and gotchi points were reset! My character is still here, but everything else disappeared...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I thought that prong(??) sticking up might have been an issue. I've included a picture so you can see more clearly. I've never modified it before, so it's always been like that.

As you can see in the picture, there is a strange...discolouration on the left side with the brown circle...is that normal?

I'll try to put some tape around the battery and such to see if it'll help

EDIT: erm, all of a sudden my purchased foods, items and gotchi points were reset! My character is still here, but everything else disappeared...
Since you haven't modified, that white piece is probably normal (especially if you bought it new). As far as I know that other circle is the speaker, so unless you are having sound problems also, it is probably fine. Since everything else on the circuit board appears clean, I don't think the discolorations around the speaker will cause a problem.

I don't know why all your things reset on your Tamagotchi, but perhaps it has something to do with the constant resetting? Try monitoring your Tamagotchi for a few days with the battery taped down. If nothing goes awry, you will likely have solved your problem.

Since you haven't modified, that white piece is probably normal (especially if you bought it new). As far as I know that other circle is the speaker, so unless you are having sound problems also, it is probably fine. Since everything else on the circuit board appears clean, I don't think the discolorations around the speaker will cause a problem.

I don't know why all your things reset on your Tamagotchi, but perhaps it has something to do with the constant resetting? Try monitoring your Tamagotchi for a few days with the battery taped down. If nothing goes awry, you will likely have solved your problem.
So far it hasn't reset yet. Put down many layers of tape, so fingers crossed that it's going to work! And thank you so much for the help :)

You're welcome! I'm actually quite surprised I could be of any help at all XD
I still woke up to see the dead battery symbol but this time it was still 2 years old rather than jumping back to 1. Maybe it was because I did something with it, but I think your suggestion still did something to try to keep it working ^^'

I still woke up to see the dead battery symbol but this time it was still 2 years old rather than jumping back to 1. Maybe it was because I did something with it, but I think your suggestion still did something to try to keep it working ^^'
That's too bad. I would suggest you add more tape solely because I had both of my P2 and Angelgotchi reset when I taped down their batteries the first time, but haven't had any trouble the second time (where I took no chances). I believe the key to putting on the tape is sticking it securely to one point, then keeping a strong tension, and then securely sticking it down to the other side. Lifting the tape gets rid of the tension, as does reapplying it once it has already been used.

First though, I would suggest you try putting your Tamagotchi in its current taped state on a table, screen facing upwards. Then with the screen still visible to you, try pushing it down on the table with as much force as necessary to see if the dead battery screen disappears. If it does, that would be a further indication that the problem is the battery isn't being pushed down enough.

P.s. Thanks for the friend request ^_^ Do I friend you back or does it display on your profile that I'm your friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back