Getting another tamagotchi?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliza_Nara

Reaction score
I have a tamagotchi connection v4.5 and am thinking of getting another tamagotchi, but I don't know what to get. There are so many options. I really want one that has several characters like my current one has, and I don't have much money for an expesnive one so if you could also suggest a website to buy it off of that would be greatly appreciated! :D

I recommend buying off Ebay, as it is a great second-hand market and a Tamagotchi may run for around $30-45 (Canadian, with shipping). Weirdly enough, I have stumbled across Amazon selling an Angelgotchi, Mesutchi, and Osutchi new in package for around $30 (Canadian), but everything else is excessively over priced, except for the Tamagotchi Friends. A good rule of thumb is that Amazon sells new things but Ebay sell used things.

Right, there are allot of options but since you specified price, this narrows down the choices to the Vintage era, the Connection era, and Tamagotchi Friends. I'll give you a run down for each, and bear in mind that these are all English releases.

Vintage Era:

From my experience with the vintage era (Anglegotchi and P2), the versions offered are unique in their themes (themes often playing a big part in the gameplay) and have large pixels but have limited animations and games (usually just one only). They can be low maintenance once in adulthood, but they are programmed to get needier in old age and eventually die. Additionally, characters are limited but are often well known enough that they have a nostalgic appeal, as well as fitting nicely in their themes.

Connection Era:

Introduces allot more features and has a mix of new and old characters, but with a generally shorter life span due to evolving into the oldie characters. The early connections (V1-V3) have more characters from the vintage era, which works well in maintaining a nostalgic appeal but give a broader interaction. V1 doesn't have a shop while the V2 and V3 do. The later connections (V4, V4.5) have less vintage characters and the formula is a bit more regular due to the addition of stats, and also their is the job function which provides extra minigames.

V5, V5.5, and V6 break from the formula by allowing the user to raise three Tamagotchis at once and keep them permanently as their is no oldie stage. Once the tamagotchis become adults, they can activate the convenient dating channel function to marry. I've only experienced the V5, and I didn't like it that much because shop selection stays the same, you can only play games with one of the siblings, the minigames are limited (only 4), and raising three at once just seems to go through the characters awful fast. One big plus to the connection era is that, with the exception of the V.5-6, you can connect all versions together, as well as some of the Japanese ones too!

Tamagotchi Friends:

Basically, Tamagotchi Friends borrows elements from the newer, full-colour Tamagotchis and the Connection era. Most of the characters are modern but appear in grey-scale and similar to the V4 and V4.5, the formula is regular. The graphics are more detailed and there are a decent amount of games (more on the Dream Town version) but some do need to be unlocked, which can only be done with another Tamagotchi Friends. Items are replaced by jewelry, which only serves the purpose of being collected. Their are some cute alternate features to items that can be selected by the door icons options, but it depends on the version. The original Tamagotchi Friends has five minigames (two are locked) and an option to visit a park and see other Tamagotchis, while the Tamagotchi Friends Dream Town has eleven minigames (2 are locked) and has an option to visit a circus.

Recommendations:

1. V4 - Similar to the V4.5 but with a different character selection

2. V3 or V2 - Modern mechanics but blends character selection

3.Tamagotchi Friends Dream Town - Regular formula and modern characters

V5, V5.5, and V6 break from the formula by allowing the user to raise three Tamagotchis at once and keep them permanently as their is no oldie stage.
Turns out I was wrong about the V6 (I don't actually have one). While you can get three characters at once, this is only when the Tamagotchi grows older and forms a band. You actually only raise one character, and there is an oldie stage. Also, the dating channel function is only on the V5 and V5.5.

I also didn't mention the Tama-go, solely because I don't actually have one either. Additionally, I wouldn't recommend the Tama-go for you because there are add-ons that can be purchased and I have read that without the add-ons, the content is lacking.

Knighttchi's Ballad covers it up very nicely.

eBay is a good option, and japanyouwant will also stock the noncolour Tamagotchis but I think they'll be in Japanese.

I'd recommend either a v3 or a v4. I don't have a v4.5 but I have the two that I mentioned. The v3 is pretty simple and low maintenance. I'm not sure if there are any requirements for getting a specific adult character so I always assumed they were completely random. The v4 is similar to the v4.5. Despite the different characters and different jobs, the elements would be familiar to you.

The v6 has new mechanics and a pretty good range of raisable adults. It's just that this Tama has higher maintenance than the v3, 4 or 4.5. The only way to make Gotchi points--and hence buy items from the shops--is to invest effort and time into the three music games and then get the 1st ranking award. Just to let you know, after doing this for a few generations it'll be repetitive and probably boring.

Lastly, I can offer insight on the Tama-Go. It's one of the more unpopular ones out of the noncolour versions, but it introduces new features that the Tamas prior to the v6. There's a very very slight similarity to the Japanese colour Tamagotchis, as you can buy additional figures (though that's more you need to purchase online) for extra content, and there's the walking/scenery animations when it visits the park or the restaurant. It did get quite boring after a while and I found that it'd need some attention to get different characters (I think the character you get is based off of friendship and discipline). I ended up with a bad care character three times in a row.

Alternatively, a relatively affordable colour Tama is the 4U/4U+. Keep in mind that the features in there is quite limited unless you have an NFC compatible device (check here). There's only 10 built in adult characters (5 male, 5 female), two built in games and limited items in the shop. Still, as the first colour Tama it'd be quite entertaining for the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back