hagakrure

Last Post Wins 2: electric boogaloo

5 hours ago, LucidLyes said:

what is it?

Just a computer that I'm building. I'm using and finding as many old parts as possible to build a 2000ish computer. Aiming to load it with Win 98. Still looking for an old likely discoloured white case to really seal the retro deal here. (Well, retro for me as I was born in 1996).

Mostly for nostalgia and to be able to run old programs without emulation.

3 hours ago, NotBart said:

everybody gangsta till the cmos battery dies

What processor is that?

Not sure yet, something near the year 2000 and made by Intel. I'll find out when I can actually boot it into Windows :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nazotchi25 said:

Still looking for an old likely discoloured white case to really seal the retro deal here.

Hahah. There are tons of these at my workplace. In Africa the retro is still around

(I won!)

Edited by LucidLyes
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nazotchi25 said:

Just a computer that I'm building. I'm using and finding as many old parts as possible to build a 2000ish computer. Aiming to load it with Win 98. Still looking for an old likely discoloured white case to really seal the retro deal here. (Well, retro for me as I was born in 1996).

Mostly for nostalgia and to be able to run old programs without emulation.

When I got started with computers, which was with a Commodore 64, we had to load things in from cassette-tapes! (In the UK, floppy-disk drives didn't catch on because they cost as much as, or more than, the computer did.) When I see kids today complaining about loading-times, I just laugh, because they've never sat through a 5 to 30 minute wait to load a game or an office program. :P Don't even get me started on badly-thought-out multi-loads or faulty tapes that only worked on one side but not the other...

Your build sounds positively modern compared to all of that. ;)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

When I got started with computers, which was with a Commodore 64, we had to load things in from cassette-tapes! (In the UK, floppy-disk drives didn't catch on because they cost as much as, or more than, the computer did.) When I see kids today complaining about loading-times, I just laugh, because they've never sat through a 5 to 30 minute wait to load a game or an office program. :P Don't even get me started on badly-thought-out multi-loads or faulty tapes that only worked on one side but not the other...

Your build sounds positively modern compared to all of that. ;)

After that's all done with I'll be attempting to marry a virtual PBX, the Win 98 and a dial-up modem along with my actual modem to see if I can rig up a pseudo-dial-up connection. Just to see if it can be done.

• Like 1

i'm such a sucker for old computers, i grew up using older computers for years so theyre really nostalgic for me. good luck with the computer-building yall!

• Like 1

This clearly wins the thread. :D

11 hours ago, Nazotchi25 said:

After that's all done with I'll be attempting to marry a virtual PBX, the Win 98 and a dial-up modem along with my actual modem to see if I can rig up a pseudo-dial-up connection. Just to see if it can be done.

Keep us posted!

Just now, Penguin-keeper said:

This clearly wins the thread.

Speaking of 90s music, I cannot think of Tamagotchi without thinking of Backstreet Boys' "Everybody"

(Of course I also think of Spice Girls but I'm a boy so I dismiss the thought instantly lol)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, x.Optimistic said:

moKU0Ov.png

I keep getting ads for that game.

Won't stop me from playing OSRS, though.