P1/P2 list of shell designs

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keter

Reaction score
Hey guyz, first (second) post here, been a long time watcher long time fan, etc etc etc. Anyway, to cut a long story short, been a massive on/off fan of tamagotchi since 1997 when I was barely in school. Not at all interested in the new wave of pets, never managed to get into them seeing as I never grew up with them - strictly the originals. I've managed to amass a small collection of the things in the last few years, but I've never come across a comprehensive list of all the shell designs the original P1/P2s came in. I'm pretty sure there's around 50/60 of them per gen but it always seems to be the same 9/10 designs that come up on eBay - I'm assuming this is because the later designs never sold well.

In any case, can anyone provide a list of all the possible (English language) shell designs, or does this not exist anywhere? Would be much appreciated, even if I'll never end up owning most of them!

There are two major factors with P1 and P2 shell designs. The first is that some shell designs are used for both versions but with some of the P1 designs not having the Tamagotchi logo on top (not always), and the backgrounds being different (P1s have checkerboard backgrounds while P2s have swirl backgrounds). Secondly, there are limited edition shells that are often company tie-ins (such as airports) but because these are distinguished as rare, people will often document them. Documentation is a potential problem as it requires people collaborating and in order to have collaboration, people must be informed. As Tamagotchis are children's toys, there is the possibility that the bulk of a certain shell may have been discarded as an ordinary toy and thus finding an example is very rare.

Generally the most well-known database for Tamagotchi shells as a whole is Project TamaShell. They have divided shell lists by version, which is quite handy. This website has a few limited edition shells. Back in the early days of Tamagotchis, Katherine Drake of Mimitchi.com was quite a notable blogger and as she perfers the vintage Tamagotchis, her Tamagotchi collection list might be worth a look at. She does have pictures of her collection but since P1 and P2 shells are often plain, a simple written list might be easier to navigate.

Besides those websites, I'd recommend looking either at Tamagotchi collection photos or searching up sold and unsold listings on Ebay to see if there are any undocumented shells. But unless you are looking into compiling a list of P1 and P2 shells, that last recommendation will be rather tedious and you will probably find that most people have documented shell designs.

Thanks! I'm aware of Kat's site - her collection is partly what made me so dismayed in the first place as half of her designs never seem to be on eBay.

The first link you've provided is helpful but it's missing a couple of designs which I have in my collection - I'm now starting to think separate designs were released in the US and the UK (I'm from the latter), making things even more confusing.

There was a post by a woman named Linda in the Tamagotchi Ancestors T-A group on facebook a few days about about her p1/p2 collection. Apparently she owns every shell available in these versions, she has been collecting for years, and focusing solely on these type. She doesn't post a list of them, but has shared some pictures. I can't really link to the post because it's a closed group. But if you do decide to join, you might be able to connect with her, she may have a list available.

Thanks! I'm aware of Kat's site - her collection is partly what made me so dismayed in the first place as half of her designs never seem to be on eBay.

The first link you've provided is helpful but it's missing a couple of designs which I have in my collection - I'm now starting to think separate designs were released in the US and the UK (I'm from the latter), making things even more confusing.
The Ebay sold listings only contain listings from the current year, thus it is likely some shells are simply unrecorded. I assume you did also look at the P2 section of Project TamaShell, since I only linked you to the P1 page. It probably might be the case that there are different shell designs between countries, and I know for sure it is the case with the later connection models. Although I wonder how different these regional shell designs would be because, as I said before, the P1 and P2 shells were often very plain (one reason why I don't like them but then also a reason why I do because there is no need to worry about paint rubbing off).

There was a post by a woman named Linda in the Tamagotchi Ancestors T-A group on facebook a few days about about her p1/p2 collection. Apparently she owns every shell available in these versions, she has been collecting for years, and focusing solely on these type. She doesn't post a list of them, but has shared some pictures. I can't really link to the post because it's a closed group. But if you do decide to join, you might be able to connect with her, she may have a list available.
Oh, cool! The only thing I wonder is depending on how she took the picture, perhaps some shells might look a bit different (such as my orange P2 showing up as more harsher orange-red than more fruit-orange). But I'm sure there is enough other details that it probably wouldn't matter. Another thing I wonder about is there a reason this group is closed, such as they are allowed special privileges by being in a certain category?

Oh, cool! The only thing I wonder is depending on how she took the picture, perhaps some shells might look a bit different (such as my orange P2 showing up as more harsher orange-red than more fruit-orange). But I'm sure there is enough other details that it probably wouldn't matter. Another thing I wonder about is there a reason this group is closed, such as they are allowed special privileges by being in a certain category?

I was once a part of this group and they are a great group of people over there. I would imagine the group is closed mostly in part to moderation tactics and protecting member privacy - and of course - to help avoid spam and inappropriate posts since Tamagotchi collectors greatly vary in age.

That being said, thanks for sharing those links! They are great resources to aid in Keter's quest in finding all the P1/P2 shell designs - which are my absolute favourite btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back