Fingerlings monkeys

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vpet717

Reaction score
Has anybody got one of these? They're small animatronic monkeys that can hang from an object or cling to a finger. They respond to touch and sound. Supposedly if you blow in their face they'll make kissing sounds. Can't get this to work reliably on mine. They also fart if you touch both head sensors at once. Probably one of the neatest pocket sized virtual pets ever. Well aside from Tamas of course.

Ahh, I remember seeing a video about them by a company representative. At the time I was looking up videos about these small, robotic animals that I saw in a nearby toy store and the video came up because it mentioned "Missing your Tamagotchi?". Just like those robotic toys, I wasn't too interested in Fingerling Monkeys because they lacked the autonomy a Tamagotchi had. That probably sounds like a strange statement considering Tamagotchis need their owners to attend to their basic needs, but because Tamagotchis have their own schedules and there is an element of the unexpected, they have the unplanned nature of life. Also, that fact that Tamagotchis are on all the time and do no have to be manual turned on, adds to their life-likeness.

But it does seem some of the very expensive robotic pets do mimic life quite well, thus Fingerlings Monkeys are probably a more affordable alternative. Judging from a video I watched by the company on how to use the toy, the programming does creatively solve some of its weaknesses. Notably, having the monkey go to sleep after inactivity instead of just remaining unresponsive fits in with a living creature, and also describing turning it on and off again as "waking it up" is quite clever. Disguised limitations is better than outright displaying the obvious machine-like nature of the robot.

They're way more complex than other robotic pets of similar sizes. More interactive than Thinkway's Interactive Neopets line or Micropets. I prefer smaller virtual pets because I like to carry some with me when I go places. Hard to do that and be inconspicuous with things like Furby or Hatchimals. But Fingerlings fit right in my pocket or Fanny pack along with my Tamas and my Tekno newborn puppy.

Funny, Tekno newborn puppies/kitties were actually the robots I was looking up when I found the Fingerlings video. You say the Fingerlings are more complex than similar robot pets, could you tell me more about that? I don't own any robotic pets (and probably wont) but I'm curious about the differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back