Do you play with your tamas in public?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sofee123

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been wanting to ask this question for awhile and I finally had time today! I was curious to see how many of you play with your tamas in public. I, myself, have always been too shy to openly play with them. So, do any of you?😆

I play with them in public. I don't think that most people know what they are.

I could see where it would more embarrassing to play with them if you're a guy though.

I have pulled them out on the bus beeping and all, I have pulled them out while walking home, I have pulled them out at the grocery store. I will pull them out when I am surrounded by strangers but the second I am near people who know me, people whom I work with, people whom I would prefer think of me as the genius scientist that I some times am I tend to forget that they are there or I wait until a bathroom break. I guess what I am getting at is time and place. I would never pull it out while I am teaching or actively working in the lab. It's like there is a time and a place for eating candy or watching youtube videos, or reading a book. And nothing is worse than having a tamagotchi go off in the middle of a lecture... So time and a place.

When it doesn't matter at all then I say go for it. Do I care if someone at the grocery store gives me a funny look? Nope they don't matter they are no bodies to me. Do I care if someone can hear the beeping on the bus? No that is not even the top 10 worst things that can happen on a bus ride. While I am walking home? Well as long as I can see where I am going why not.

Since someone mentioned it, my immediate family is quite keenly aware that I have Tamagotchis and I play with them without reserve in front of my family. One of my aunts and uncles knows I collect Tamagotchis - in fact they were quite pleased I still had the first one they gave to me - and so does a good friend of mine and her husband - who immediately recognized them from when their children had them. Another thing to note is that good friend already knew I collect dolls and make doll clothes and watch anime/read manga so a quirky Japanese toy is not really that peculiar. Perhaps dolls are a bit more childish than Tamagotchis and so far my immediate family, most of my extended family, and a few friends know that this is one of my hobbies, and I have yet to hear a negative word about it. Tamagotchis can't really be any less childish than dolls that are specifically designed for young adolescent girls.

I take my Tamagotchis with me when me and my father go on our evening walks and always to church - whether I'm just listening to the sermon, working in the kitchen, or teaching ESL. Mind you, my tamas are always in my bag at church with the sound off, I always use them in my bag and don't take them out, and I never really speak of them. But I have taken them out occasionally for a quick glance and no one ever pays much attention and my usual sermon setup is having my tamas visible at the base of my bag. I don't think anyone can see them from the pew behind, but a greater test was when I was muting the sound near the start of the sermon and no one really reacted (although what would anybody do anyway?).

So, the short answer to your question is yes, I do play with my tamas in public but only for short, occasional moments where they are then returned to my pocket or bag. I also want to mention that as I came to realize quite clearly from this topic here, allot about how you treat your hobby determines the impression others get from it. So if you treat your hobbies like they are awkward or childish, or in a bizarre twist of social etiquette feel you must be apologetic for them because that is what is expected of you, you will always create a negative impression. But if you express the simple joy and enthusiasm you have for your hobbies, you will create a positive impression.

Suffice to say I'm a little anxious about being perceived as childish because I've been a social oddity by being part of the younger age bracket but acting, looking, and being perceived like I'm part of the older one (and I've shocked a few people who didn't know I was really that young). Add to this how it is such a huge compliment for me to be praised for my maturity, and the fact that I collect dolls and enjoy children's tv shows sounds problematic. But, whether something is childish or not does not depend on whether it is made for children, but the reason for liking it. This is because all opinions are not based on facts but on feelings, and thus the quality of the opinion depends on the quality of the reasoning that formed it. Opinions are not set in stone like facts because a person chooses what to focus on and what to ignore, solely because they have decided to. If one has childish reasons for like something, then that subject is childish. But if one has intelligent reasons for liking something, then that subject is intelligent. As such somebody can like something made for children without they themselves being childish, because their discussion will not contain childish ideas.

But above all, the one who determines whether something is childish, or mature, or anything else is the person themselves. If they are convinced that their reasons for doing something are such, then that reason truly is that way. All things can be perceived differently by different people but what truly matters is one's intentions, the reason for which they act. People can only observe what they see but the individual knows innerly why they act. Thus the one who is limited is outsiders and they cannot give an opinion better than one's own because the individual knows more than they do. To sum it up, in essence you are your own judge and if you know your intentions, you do not need anything else.

Yes I love my tamagotchi I take them almost every where I go.I will always love them.I take them to the doctor with me to the day program just about every where.

I usually keep them in my purse, but I don't take them out to play with them. I'm pretty sneaky haha. I'm all about owning up & embracing the things you like but I feel like I'd get weird looks haha. Plus I usually just check in on my Tamas while in public and then play w/ them when I have free time.

Sometimes I do it, on the road or on the bus. I don't really mind strangers, but I feel shy taking them out around family or friends.

I for one have always played with my gotchis in public.

I've never thought much of it. I used to take mine to school in my lunch and now I keep one attached to something like my keys ^_^

I can understand why it can be awkward though, as I have occasionally been teased in recent years :angry:

Now I am more careful who sees me with them in public :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: but don't let meanies put you off! ;)

Outside of school, usually yes. I'm 20 but I literally look 10, 14 at MOST. So people assume I'm just a little kid playing.

Back when I went to high school I did take tamas with me several times but was stealthy about it. Though nobody seemt to care. Except one of the teachers (she was weird, mind you) laughing at me that I'm a baby when she saw me feed my P's, lol. Not in a necessarily mean way, just teasing me. But it was embarassing.

Haven't taken a tama to college yet but I might? Can't see why not, people seem chill there.

Hi there!

I've often been too shy to play with them in public. The actual devices themselves are older than my students :lol: so I'm a tad hesitant. But anytime I have, and another person has seen me play with it, we have a nice conversation and it's ~such a throwback~ :D

I've never been afraid to play with them in public. I wear the vintages as necklaces sometimes, clip them to my purse.

I always play with them in public if I'm running one.

Granted sometimes i forget its there and get a few care mistakes lol :mellow:

I have pulled them out on the bus beeping and all, I have pulled them out while walking home, I have pulled them out at the grocery store. I will pull them out when I am surrounded by strangers but the second I am near people who know me, people whom I work with, people whom I would prefer think of me as the genius scientist that I some times am I tend to forget that they are there or I wait until a bathroom break. I guess what I am getting at is time and place. I would never pull it out while I am teaching or actively working in the lab. It's like there is a time and a place for eating candy or watching youtube videos, or reading a book. And nothing is worse than having a tamagotchi go off in the middle of a lecture... So time and a place.

When it doesn't matter at all then I say go for it. Do I care if someone at the grocery store gives me a funny look? Nope they don't matter they are no bodies to me. Do I care if someone can hear the beeping on the bus? No that is not even the top 10 worst things that can happen on a bus ride. While I am walking home? Well as long as I can see where I am going why not.
I've pulled them out here, I've pulled them out there, I've pulled them out everywhere. On a bus, on a train, only not when it's begining to rain.

I also sometimes forget they are there, especially on mute!

But mostly I don't care. I was at dinner and my aunt was remarking because my uncle was on his phone, my cousin was on his phone and I was playing with my Tamagotchis, making sure his happy bar was full as something to do while waiting on food. "everybody's on their phone... He's on his phone, he's on his phone, she's on her... things."

"I am trying to make them happy, if they aren't happy, then they get cranky at me, and I have to play with them more to make them happy." Plus, in the dim light, i was losing left and right.

I generally carry my tamagotchi around at all times, and never mute them, so if I hear them beep, then yep, will play with em regardless of where I am.
My family is sort of used to it at this point, and generally have to put up with me showing them bunches of pictures of tamagotchi on a daily basis.
In public around strangers, I still happily cart my tamagotchi around and tend to them.
Haven't got any odd looks so far, but the lady at the vet looked vaguely disgusted when I had them there. But not sure if it was because of the tamagotchi or some other reason.

I don't mind playing with mine in public, I check up on them when i'm in class and if people see them they do ask questions and get surprised to see tamagotchis in colour and bigger than the old 1900s one they remember. most of the people that ask me about them want to play with them but I say they are from Japan and that's why the text is different and to see their faces is just kinda funny haha :D

I play with mine wherever. It gets looks sometimes, since I'm a 6'5" with a beard and in my 30's, but more often people think it's cool. I've collected toys for about 20 years, so I'm not really self-conscious about letting my inner child show. Besides, why care what other people think if I'm having a good time? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back