Sign in to follow this  
ashi.thyst

Did I make a mistake purchasing a brand new Angelgotch in its packaging?

I am pretty sure it is completely unopened. Will the batteries have corroded and rendered it unplayable?

And a side question. Can I use a #0 Phillips screwdriver or do I need to prioritize searching for a JIS one?

Hi. I have personally had great luck with batteries. I've bought tons of NIB vintage tamas and never once had a corrosion issue. So, hopefully you'll be fine. It is wise to change the batteries when you do get it though.

As for the screw driver, anything that's small enough should work unless the screws are super soft, which happens sometimes with those tamas. I don't have a JIS and I've been ok.

From what I've read, corroded batteries are a possibility but not likelihood. Additionally, it seems that corrosion can be chipped off and thus it is possible to make corroded contacts usable.

As for the screwdriver, my practical Father proved to me that the screws of vintage tamas are not special when he unscrewed them easily with our set of small Stanley screwdrivers (I think Stanley might be some Canadian brand, and not necessarily special). The screws he took out were from an English P2 and English Angelgotchi, which I'm assuming are the same as the Japanese ones since I've never read anyone mentioning the screws were different between localizations. Additionally, he summed it up that it would be impractical to use special screws for a toy like that as it would be too much of a hassle.

One thing I should mention is that my father has likely perfected his technique for taking out screws since he remarked, when I asked him to take my Angelgotchi's screws out again, that I may not be used to doing it. Another thing, save the tab from your Angelgotchi since I've heard of many people putting it back in to save battery power. It shouldn't do any harm if it is used with new batteries, although I hear storing tamas long term with batteries in them is not recommended.

Thank you both.

I'd quote, but I'm on mobile.

Edited by TamaMum
Two consecutive posts merged
  • Like 2

I had some trouble with battery leakage on my unopened angelgotch when i bought it, but i was able to clean it up and it works just fine.

I had some trouble with battery leakage on my unopened angelgotch when i bought it, but i was able to clean it up and it works just fine.

Can you tell me what battery leakage looks like and do you have any tips on how to clean it if it comes that way?

Can you tell me what battery leakage looks like and do you have any tips on how to clean it if it comes that way?

In my experience you will know when you see it. The color will be odd, it may appear damp, etc. If you need to you can open up another tama of yours and compare. As for cleaning it my dad has advised me to use ACF50 (or something else that says 'anti corrosion') and some q-tips. Be gentle and make sure to allow the tama to dry fully before putting the battery back in.

Edited by cheesy-tchi

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Pogostix
      I've been slowly converting my large Tamagotchi Connection series collection onto rechargeable batteries to save on my pocketbook and help the environment, and I mistakenly purchased some Zackees brand rechargeable 2032 batteries on Amazon. I was on a budget and they were cheap.
      Don't repeat my mistake! Stay far away from these things XwX
      - I bought 8 batteries, only 3 worked. That's less than 50%. Not Good.
      - One of the ones that did not work tried to BURST INTO FLAMES. (My Tama was unharmed, thank goodness, but I did burn my finger)
      Sadly they didn't qualify for a refund >:T I will be leaving an unhappy Amazon review.
      If anyone knows what brands/where to buy GOOD rechargeable batteries, please let me know.
    • By QueenRita
      I'm debating purchasing a new tamagotchi. I haven't finished my collection of Connections yet (need a V1, any .5's and a Music Star, then any Japanese 'connections', I just don't know what to really call them generally) but I think I would like a vintage right now to be honest. I have a lot of free time when, I have free time, as I'm a senior in high school so I still have to attend all my classes and whatnot.

I'm curious if a vintage tamagotchi would be good for me or not... I don't think I want a P1 or P2 (though I'm not opposed), and I know how busy an Ocean is so I'm not even gonna try. A Devil would be nice but those are so expensive I'm not gonna mess with it, but on the other side of that I think I would enjoy an Angel or a Forest! Maybe even a Mesutchi and Osutchi, I'm not sure.

My schedule is this-
      During the school week, from 8am to 4pm, I'm at school. I always set my connections to sleep in until 10:30am because my first period classes are too demanding for me to bother my Tamagotchi's, so I can easily set my time on Tamagotchi's a bit late. I usually only care for one tamagotchi at a time while I'm at school because they click together on my belt loops, but if I can figure out a way that they don't make noise I can easily care for multiple at a time. After school I'm free until I go to bed. Sunday mornings I have work (9am to noon, I'm usually not busy though and have taken fine care of Tamagotchi's during work before). Sometimes I have DnD in the evenings but my other players know that I play with my tamagotchi's so that's not a distraction from the game.

If a Vintage wouldn't do well with my schedule I'm curious what other Tamagotchi's would do well with me. I already have 2 M!Xes, so I'm good on that front... Plus I just, don't want another color tama for now. Any tamagotchi suggestions? I'd also take tamagotchi cousin suggestions too, like I think qpets are really cute and I'd honestly order the dog one if I knew where the find it...

In short, I'm a senior in highschool with a lot of free time looking for another Tamagotchi. I would prefer a vintage but any other Tamagotchi or Tama Cousins recommendation would be just as good as well. I am not looking for a colored Tamagotchi.

Thank you so much!
    • By TamaZo
      So I apparently left some old batteries in my Tamagotchi Friends and they leaked. I cleaned out the corrosion as best I could with vinegar but it still won't turn on with new batteries. Is this a hopeless cause? or are there any tricks to getting my Tama to work again?
    • By Kira_glow
      I got a blue angel a few years back. After a while, it stopped reacting to my tapping, and it became difficult to care for it as i couldn't chase away bats trying to torment it. I tried opening it up to fix it, but i couldn't find the damaged part and upon reassembling it, i found that it no longer worked correctly. (as in, screen flickering, erratic movements and random resets)

I've decided that i want to see if i can repair it. This post is gonna be me documeting my findings! I would post pictures, but my camera is out of batteries and i don't want to wait for it to recharge.

step 1: open the batter cover. Right off the bat, one of the battery contacts has a tiny bit of green corrosion on it. It hasn't had a battery in, and i don't know if that was there when i put it away after i broke it. I got some rubbing alcohol, but i accidentally spilled some on my desk. now my workspace is clean!

step 2: open the body. There's some sticky business inside, but i know i didn't get it wet when i had it running. Is that normal? I'm wiping off the sticky stuff. it feels like dried up mechanical lubricant. the speaker's also a little grimy... there's a fingerprint on it, and i'm almsot certain it's not mine! wiped that off.

got msot of the fine corrosion off the battery contacts. I'm going to look closer at the rest of it to see if i see anyhting wrong. Also, has anyone actually found what in an angel senses the tapping? I don't see anyhting that looks like a motion sensor, except maybe the speaker, but that's the speaker.

step 3: put it back together. I wiped down the circuitry with alcohol, let it dry and now everythign is abck in place. i don't see any kind of weirdness elsewhere, so i can only hope the errors were from the corrosion i wiped off. my batteries are a little iffy, so i'm going to put in new ones.

also, side note: the little plastic wishbone shape that goes in along the screen is a pretty pearly pink color. Is this the same color as the pink angel's body? wouldn't that be neat if the pink one had a blue piece in it as well?

MOMENT OF TRUTH,,,,

IT WORKED

I'm so excited! it looks like i got it working again, its screen is staying on with no flickering and, after a little drop test on my desk with no reset, it looks perfectly fine! In fact, once i got my obake 2, i found that the tap sensor works too now! This literally could not have been more successful!

Something to note, this angel was pretty quiet when it was last working, and now it seems that wiping the grime fof the speaker has made it a little louder as well.

Thanks for reading my journey! I was expecting it to end in failure, but sometimes things just work out.
    • By merpirate
      Hello, I bought a tamagotchi off eBay a month ago and when I replaced the batteries the new ones seemed to be a bit loose. I played fine for two days but then the screen just went blank and when I pressed on the back it restarted. Now it won't last through a day. I placed some eyeglass pads behind the batteries to make the case for tighter but that only helped for a day before it reset. Any advice?
    • By Dordtchild
      I am so proud of getting this one.
      I combed through so many pages on Ebay trying to get something that was mint and wasn't going to drain me
      Now I have a MINT Tamagotchi Angel English, what a find