Not a Fan of the New Characters

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuchikid

Reaction score
Potentially-controversial opinion: I don't like most of the new Tamagotchi character designs. I'm sure there's a fair bit of nostalgia at play, but I think there's more to it than just that. I really don't hear anyone talking about it, so here I am.

First, I notice that they've become much more complicated appearance-wise than the simple shapes and few colours that made up the older Tamagotchis. Even the babies and toddlers are over-designed. Remember back when babies and toddlers looked like blobs that might have appendages if they're extra lucky? I really don't find that cute. It feels to me like Bandai is trying so hard to be "cutesy" that they miss the mark on "cute."

They also wear clothes now. Kuromametchi was just passable in my eyes because it had one simple accessory, but some of the new characters (especially the female ones with their generic cutesy eyes) would look almost-identical if you took off their clothing and accessories. If you look at the newer growth charts, the older characters stick out like a sore thumb because they're simplistic and naked.

It further annoys me that they're all bipedal. Granted, most Tamagotchis have always been bipedal, but it seems that they're all bipedal now, and take heavy inspiration for Mametchi's figure.

The new teens confuse me, as well. They're nearly indistinguishable from the adults because, again, they're largely bipedal and Mametchi-inspired.

My final grievance (for now) is that the old characters keep getting dropped. Mimitchi, for example (the former mascot of Tamagotchi), was dead from 2010 - 2017. What gives? Of course, you need to add new characters, but why kill off old ones when you could simply recycle them every couple releases?

I actually like the direction they took with Tamagotchi, making the more human-like, they never really were very pet-like in a lot of the source material anyway so I always thought there was a weird disconnect. The CD-ROM implies that they have human-like personalities as well and that's from the Vintage era... A lot of flavor text in general regarding the characters implies that they are intelligent. I do like the new designs too, but I do feel like you're right on them falling into a same-y trope. They do all have "sameface" syndrome which is kind of annoying, but there could be a reason for that, such as the sprites being small (for the most part, MIX sprites are larger it seems), so their designs are simplified.

Also totally with you on older characters being dropped. I want Mimitchi back ;_; I love Meloditchi, Lovelitchi, and the others as much as anyone else, but I do miss some of the classics, and not just those, but characters that don't appear as often.

So all in all, I like the new designs, but there are a couple missed marks and a lack of classic characters that I'd like to see again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can completely agree with you, Kuchikid. I personally feel the same way...

I think you said it better than I ever could. I, too, feel they all look almost identical to one another- just with different hairstyles, clothes, etc.. While I do feel nostalgia plays a role in my preferences as well, I also tried giving them a chance; I just couldn't get attached to them. Now, it's not to say I despise them (I mean, Coffretchi and Himespetchi are too cute to hate!), I just don't find them to be the most appealing to me. I miss the days of the original trio: Mametchi, Memetchi, and Kuchipatchi! :wub: But, all at once, many do like the new Tamagotchi, and this will one day be nostalgic to this generation of kiddos! ♥

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like them either. I prefer the simpler characters, like the originals and V1-2.

I like the new characters personally but more variety would be nice.

I have two new 20th anniversary Tamagotchi chibies, after a while of taking care of one of them, I got a new character. I looked it up, and turns out the new character's name is Bill. It's for 20th Anniversary Tamas only, and only with good care can you get it. Idk how I feel about it, but it looks kinda weird.

Here's a light of some the the characters, Bill is at the bottom of the list:

https://tamagotchi.wikia.com/wiki/Tamagotchi_Mini/Character_List

I have two new 20th anniversary Tamagotchi chibies, after a while of taking care of one of them, I got a new character. I looked it up, and turns out the new character's name is Bill. It's for 20th Anniversary Tamas only, and only with good care can you get it. Idk how I feel about it, but it looks kinda weird.

Here's a light of some the the characters, Bill is at the bottom of the list:

https://tamagotchi.wikia.com/wiki/Tamagotchi_Mini/Character_List
Bill was in the P1 (English) and V3, as well.

If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take your Mametchi to turn into Bill? I'm waiting for mine to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back