Buying a Devilgotchi -- New or Used?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Watabou

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post here but I've visited the forum for years to get Tamagotchi tips. I hope I'm posting this in the right spot.

Anyway, to celebrate a recent accomplishment I want to buy myself something frivolous, so I'm thinking about finally getting a Devilgotchi off eBay.

My question is, should I go for a *new* Devilgotchi or used? My gut of course is to go new, but given the age I'm concerned about battery leakage and the screws. On the other hand, used comes with the caveat of being, well, used.

Two decades later, is the threat of battery leakage in unopened Tamas very likely? Are the screws likely to have crumbled? I've heard that some people have had success going to jewelers -- do you leave your Tama with them or do they do it while you're there?

I've set up eBay email alerts for Devilgotchis but I never see a price below ~$320. Is that pretty much the lowest new price I'll find?

Lastly, is the rarest Devilgotchi the black one? That's my preference but it looks like I'll probably go white or pink instead.

Thanks for your help!

You can usually find a small selection of Devilgotchis up for sale on places like ebay, they are a popular / sought-after vintage and so all are relatively "rare" - the asking price is usually around the £295-£395 mark (in the UK - where I live) for unopened ones. Opened ones can be a little less. The best advice is to be patient and keep an eye on the market - see what comes up and if you see something that is within your budget then make a bid.

Most often I see the other shell design colours offered - not the black one - perhaps because black is the most popular shell design? I don't think it's particularly rare just not offered on the open market so often.

As for "new in package" versus "used" - New in package certainly comes with a (small) risk of ageing battery damage and will also be devalued when you open it (so you can't ask a seller to check it before shipping to you).

My thinking is basically, why pay more for one new in the package when you are going to open it and run it?
On that basis I would be inclined to buy used (opened) - as long as you are satisfied that it is working OK - and this is something you can ask the seller to verify - even ask for more photos of any scratches or marks, ask if they have ever changed the battery themselves / had problems with the screws, etc. At least you know what you'll be getting for your money.

Good luck - hope you find one you like :)

Hi, TamaMum. Thank you very much for your post! Everything you said made a lot of sense. I'll probably just keep my eye out for a good, used Devilgotchi. Your point about having more leeway to ask the seller of a used Devilgotchi questions is a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back