Digivices!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoky

TamaTalk Lifetime Angelkusatchi
TamaTalk Angelgotchi
Reaction score
So, in addition to my old tamagotchis, I also had an original digimon. I never got as into it as I did my tama, but I haven't been able to found it as I've scrounged around my house during my return to the fandom. Just curious if there are other digivice fans out there among the tamagotchi fandom, and if so, what do you guys consider the best ones? I've seen a lot of people singing praises of the Burst (IG burst?) but it seems those are either only in Japanese or ludicrously expensive.

But yeah, either way, what have I missed in the last 20 years? :D

Digimon is something I've been on the fence about since although early Tamagotch bloggers have the original and consider them a decent virtual pet, they are quite expensive today (starting at the higher Tamagotchi prices) and one needs two to get other evolutions (the same hangup with the Osutchi and Mesutchi). I suppose price is gradually becoming a flimsy, relative thing as I get used to price ranges (mostly for dolls). Anyway, when I went up to see my relative for Christmas and got to show of my Tamagotchis, one of my cousins reflect fondly about his Digimon - including telling a story of how he and his friend had a battle and then his friend lost, grabbed his Digimon, locked himself in the bathroom, and reset it. I'd imagine his fondness is a testament to the quality of the original Digimons, although it might have also been the first virtual pet he had too.

There's not really much I can say since I never had one but I did come across this handy website which will probably help me decide on what Digimon I would like to get, if I ever do. Most of them seem to be pedometer pets and I'm not sure how I feel about pedometer pets. I hear lots of people swing their arms around to use them rather than walking; I even came across an anecdote during a review where the reviewer mentioned as a kid he was so puzzled why Digimons were made to be swung around, till he saw one with a clip and he realized it was meant to go on a belt.

(P.s. I have no problem watching the Digimon anime - especially since I found the Japanese with English subtitles - but I have no desire to watch the Tamagotchi anime. Interestingly, it seems that's how it's cut for the anime fanbases as well.)

Yeah, I watched the first 2 series of Digimon anime as well. I remember really liking it, and being surprised they didn't completely americanize everything like other late-90's anime did.

The original Digimon didn't have a pedometer in them that I can remember, and even though you had to have multiples to get all the evolutions, each one still had more than a P1 or P2 tama did. Sadly, I didn't get anything past that.

I did end up impulse-buying a Xros Loader because they're pretty cheap yet, and the microphone feature to unlock more 'mon sounded kinda fun. Where it's not time-intensive, that also fits my tamagotchi schedule better.

Past that, Japan You Want has Pendulum X 20th Anniversary digivices, and while I'd rather have a D3 or original digivice 20th anniversary, it sounds like the Pendulum X's have even more. I figure JYW won't have them until JUne, so by the time I get them I'll be ready for new stuff in the rotation.

Thanks for the site as well! I was stumbling across that as I was reasearching yesterday, but I didn't dig much deeper. The digimon wiki, Wikimon, has some good high-level overviews, but this looks way more useful. :D

I'll take your word for as it's too far back in my memory to remember what the dub was like XD I found it rather funny early imported anime had to coverup that it was Japanese, such as Tokyo Mew Mew being renamed Mew Mew Power (I never watched it) and then Brock and his "jelly donuts".

Based on what you said, I looked up the growth chart of the original Digimon and discovered that only the three post-adult evolutions actually require battling a second device. Because of that, I might consider buying on in the future, although it kind of gave me the impression of a regular dino pet. Previously, I was thinking of getting a Xros Wars Mini just because they were cheap and the evolution feature looked like it gave some variety. I'm beginning to think it might be allot like the Tamagotchi Mini and it is even said to start out with full-grown which takes away from the life-like feel.

Glad the website was of use to you :^)

EDIT: This "my posts are coming up blank after I type them" is really about to make me cry at this point. I don't know why do I even bother making lengthy posts anymore...

Anyway...

Since I've played Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth on my Vita, I've been interested in Digimon, especially since considering my Tamagotchi obsession I thought it's sacrilegous that I haven't had a Digimon yet. I also watched both season of the anime (with subs) and I LOVED it. Please don't ever watch this anime with dub. It really takes away the whole drama and characterization. Especially the movies. They made all of the movies into ONE movie and ruined it, especially the music. Digimon music is BEAUTIFUL and I really wish anybody could watch the anime, even if you're not an anime fan.

To my knowledge digivices are different from the v-pets, as digivices are often pedometers. And it's true that the original v-pets are rather pricy and you need at least 2.... that's good that we got the 20th anniversary edition v-pets, then.I got mine not too long ago and I'm in LOVE. The 20th anniversary improved SO much. You can raise Digimon from all versions of the v-pet (there's over 100 of them), you can raise TWO at the SAME TIME and the battles are completely in-game. You can even battle with them online via D1 Grand Prix using a password. I REALLY reccomend this version. The first wave is pretty pricy on ebay, but the second wave is a bit cheaper, about 60$. It's way more exciting than your usual P1-P2, so it's really worth having. And the only thing you'd need more than one for is to unlock the special Digimon which needs you to connect a few times, but honestly it's fine without it, it's just one out of 100's obtainable Digimon otherwise.

They're also releasing the 20th anniversary Pendulum, which to my knowledge isn't much different from the v-pet, but it will have all-new characters and can connect to the v-pet. I'm definitely getting one if they won't be sold out on Tuesday...

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: This "my posts are coming up blank after I type them" is really about to make me cry at this point. I don't know why do I even bother making lengthy posts anymore...

Anyway...

Since I've played Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth on my Vita, I've been interested in Digimon, especially since considering my Tamagotchi obsession I thought it's sacrilegous that I haven't had a Digimon yet. I also watched both season of the anime (with subs) and I LOVED it. Please don't ever watch this anime with dub. It really takes away the whole drama and characterization. Especially the movies. They made all of the movies into ONE movie and ruined it, especially the music. Digimon music is BEAUTIFUL and I really wish anybody could watch the anime, even if you're not an anime fan.

To my knowledge digivices are different from the v-pets, as digivices are often pedometers. And it's true that the original v-pets are rather pricy and you need at least 2.... that's good that we got the 20th anniversary edition v-pets, then.I got mine not too long ago and I'm in LOVE. The 20th anniversary improved SO much. You can raise Digimon from all versions of the v-pet (there's over 100 of them), you can raise TWO at the SAME TIME and the battles are completely in-game. You can even battle with them online via D1 Grand Prix using a password. I REALLY reccomend this version. The first wave is pretty pricy on ebay, but the second wave is a bit cheaper, about 60$. It's way more exciting than your usual P1-P2, so it's really worth having. And the only thing you'd need more than one for is to unlock the special Digimon which needs you to connect a few times, but honestly it's fine without it, it's just one out of 100's obtainable Digimon otherwise.

They're also releasing the 20th anniversary Pendulum, which to my knowledge isn't much different from the v-pet, but it will have all-new characters and can connect to the v-pet. I'm definitely getting one if they won't be sold out on Tuesday...
Yeah, Japanyouwant had the 20th anniversary Pendulums, and it looks like those are still vpets but also have the pedometer stuff as well... I need to walk more, so I preordered a couple XD I might get one of the 20th anniversary ones around tax refund time since the Pendulums won't be out until June. Either way, it'll be a good supplement to the Tamas I've been running.

Cyber Sleuth is great! I grabbed it for $15 out of a bargain bin, and it was totally worth it. I really need to go back and beat that....

Also, sorry to hear about your posting troubles. That really sucks. Have you tried reinstalling your browser/using a different browser/clearing cache and cookies? I'm sure people have already told you that, so hopefully I'm not being a broken record or annoying, but I'd give those things a shot if not. :)

I'm considering pre ordering one of the new pendulums while they are still available. I am afraid of having regret if they sell out now and I find myself wanting one, but the prices are wildly inflated later on. However, is the Digimonpendulum ver. 20th an actual virtual pet, a pedometer, or what? I'm not actually sure lol.

Either way, I think that the Buyee page for the Bandai Premium store might be a slightly better price deal than Japan You Want, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It would probably also depend on the shipping options for where you live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried clicking "More Reply Options" to preview your posts? I've done that after I've been on a page for awhile and haven't posted yet and it "safeguards" my post. As "More Reply Options" creates a new page, you could always paste your post into another tab, click "More Reply Options", and then paste in your post if you need to. After a few disastrous attempts on other websites with posting, I usually always copy my content, go to the page in a new tab, and paste it in again to post.

I also watched both season of the anime (with subs) and I LOVED it. Please don't ever watch this anime with dub. It really takes away the whole drama and characterization. Especially the movies. They made all of the movies into ONE movie and ruined it, especially the music. Digimon music is BEAUTIFUL and I really wish anybody could watch the anime, even if you're not an anime fan.
Part of this made me laugh XD I didn't find the Digimon dub that bad but I do agree the sub is way better, especially since I don't get irritated by the voices since the tone is half-buried in the language (I can still tell apart the individual voices). Another thing I love about the sub is the Japanese opening which is so much more musical than the droning chant of "Digimon, digital monsters, Digimon are the champions" (I started skipping the opening in the dub since I hated it so much). Actually, overall Japanese anime themes are better than the English ones - although there is a trend of leaving in the original openings - with Pokemon being the odd deviation (there is so much passion in the English opening while the Japanese is a bit more subdued and has an older sound to it, but I still like it).

And it's true that the original v-pets are rather pricy and you need at least 2.... that's good that we got the 20th anniversary edition v-pets, then.I got mine not too long ago and I'm in LOVE. The 20th anniversary improved SO much.
You make it sound amazing and it already sounded amazing to me when I heard two could be raised on it, a couple of months ago. I checked the prices and it fits into my "twice a year special occasion" purchase bracket so probably it'll gradually make it onto my Odd Pet wishlist (which I would like to clear out faster than my Tamagotchi wishlist). I'm thinking of once I get enough odd pets, I'll start an odd pets log because I've always wanted to read one and in a way, that might fulfill that.

The first wave is pretty pricy on ebay, but the second wave is a bit cheaper, about 60$.
I've now put this on my wishlist since the recommendations and the price are fitting (the price is equivalent to a J-Doll so not too bad). I don't really care which version I get since I'm sure they all have appealing characters.

However, is the Digimonpendulum ver. 20th an actual virtual pet, a pedometer, or what?
Based on this page and the growth chart that can be found there, I'd say it's a Vpet. Even if it is a new edition, it will probably follow the original closely.

Based on this page and the growth chart that can be found there, I'd say it's a Vpet. Even if it is a new edition, it will probably follow the original closely.
Ah, thanks for the link! I would imagine that you are right. Having read over all that, I do hope they changed the bit where it says "If the Digimon dies, the Pendulum will beep regardless of whether or not the sound has been turned off." :p

I'm considering pre ordering one of the new pendulums while they are still available. I am afraid of having regret if they sell out now and I find myself wanting one, but the prices are wildly inflated later on. However, is the Digimonpendulum ver. 20th an actual virtual pet, a pedometer, or what? I'm not actually sure lol.

Either way, I think that the Buyee page for the Bandai Premium store might be a slightly better price deal than Japan You Want, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It would probably also depend on the shipping options for where you live.
JYW has 'em for $50, just like the Bandai store. Not sure on shipping, but JYW is a flat $8. Either way, they look cool.

I hear you guys on sub v dub. I watched the dub when it was on the air the first time, so I'm kinda attached to it. I need to watch Tamers (since it was made by the team that made Lain) and Frontier, just to see 'em. Also, I need to finish tri (watching the sub there). That series is greeeeeeeeaaaaaat.

Since today was payday, I ended up snagging one of the anniversary original digivices. I got the Omegamon one because I liked the color scheme. Figure it'll tide me over until the Anniversary Pendulum comes out. Oh, also, i thought that one had pedometer stuff because I thought 'jogress' evolutions were related to walking (jogging). Turns out I should have just read into it. That's the term they use for the fusion digivolutions. NOW I KNOW. I wish the anniversary D3's weren't crazy expensive. I always liked that design.

This hobby has ate my other hobby budget in the last few weeks, but considering if I want a nicer 3rd party or Masterpiece Transformer I have to drop like $200-300, it's nice not to have to save forever to get cool things. XD

JYW has 'em for $50, just like the Bandai store. Not sure on shipping, but JYW is a flat $8. Either way, they look cool.

I hear you guys on sub v dub. I watched the dub when it was on the air the first time, so I'm kinda attached to it. I need to watch Tamers (since it was made by the team that made Lain) and Frontier, just to see 'em. Also, I need to finish tri (watching the sub there). That series is greeeeeeeeaaaaaat.

Since today was payday, I ended up snagging one of the anniversary original digivices. I got the Omegamon one because I liked the color scheme. Figure it'll tide me over until the Anniversary Pendulum comes out. Oh, also, i thought that one had pedometer stuff because I thought 'jogress' evolutions were related to walking (jogging). Turns out I should have just read into it. That's the term they use for the fusion digivolutions. NOW I KNOW. I wish the anniversary D3's weren't crazy expensive. I always liked that design.

This hobby has ate my other hobby budget in the last few weeks, but considering if I want a nicer 3rd party or Masterpiece Transformer I have to drop like $200-300, it's nice not to have to save forever to get cool things. XD
Yup the pendulums are the v-pet style ones, not the pedometer style ones so you're good. I only hear positive things about the anniversary v-pets.

As for anime do yourself a favour and watch Tamers, I remember liking it the most as a kid because it went more into the sci-fi aspect of it and seemed a little more mature than the other seasons. Plus Guilmon is voiced by Steve Blum, and therefore can do no wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back