Tamagotchi m!x question

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flossie12345

Reaction score
I've ordered myself a m!x which I'm really excited about. I showed my daughters a couple of YouTube videos to explain what it is (they already have the new Chibi's so are somewhat familiar with Tama's). My eldest is 10 and my youngest is 5 and they have both decided they want one for their birthdays. My concern is that they're not in English and as far as I can see there isn't an English patch for the m!x? I'm worried that perhaps they're too young to get much use out of them. Are they quite simple to use despite being in Japanese? From what I've seen they're really animated which is good! Their birthdays are soon so I would have to order in the next few days for them to be here in time as we're in the UK and I'm ordering from Japan which seems the cheapest option inc customs.

There's a fair amount of Japanese in the mixes. Some of the menus are picture-based, but most are written. Also, tamas talk to each other in Japanese a lot during little scenes. That said, there's guides out there for it, too!

https://vpets.org/guides/tamagotchi-mix-guide has a good menu translation and breakdown, while https://virtual-bailey.tumblr.com/post/149049333041/english-tamagotchi-mx-manual has a link to an english version of the manual.

It might be worth printing out the English manual so they can have one on hand. Once you get the hang of where things are, it's not that hard. I think a 5-year-old might have a tough time with it, but your older daughter will probably be fine.

I've been managing mine for about a month despite knowing basically no Japanese, so I hope the links help!

If you're just looking for a more "modern" Tamagotchi with colour then you could always buy one of the Tamagotchi P's with an English patch? In my opinion I was slightly disappointed by the M!X and got bored pretty fast. Plus, with the P's, you feel more interactive with the Tama as you're able to understand what's happening lol!

I never saw the Japanese as a problem. I have a P's with an English patch and the things they say isn't really interesting, and honestly it was more fun to memorize the menus than to see them. I don't know, the toy seemed... more "full" when it was in Japanese, lol. Tamagotchis aren't text heavy toys. The most text heavy from the color versions would be the 4U but even it is perfectly playable.

I got my first Japanes tamagotchi, a Keitai Akai, when I was 13, and it wasn't hard at all.

The M!X could be a cool opportunity for your kids (especially the 10 year old; probably later on for the 5 year old) to start learning how to read basic Japanese along with some vocabulary to help get them through the menus. As someone who's currently studying Japanese in university, I can say that the sooner you start learning, the better for the long term. If you wanted some advice about how/where to start, I and many other users with JPN tama experience could help you out.

That's true! Since there's no kanji in the menus, it's easy enough to find a hiragana/katakana chart and then use translation sites to figure out what things mean. That might be fun in and of itself on top of the actual tama!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back