Sign in to follow this  
patitchu

Tamagotchi and mental health

I'm a Certified Anxious Wreck 24/7 and Tamas help keep me sane. Caring for anything (my real pets, my house plants, my virtual pets...) really helps keep my anxiety down and stops all those negative thoughts from swirling around in my head.

I can't haul my cats to the research lab with me (darn) but I always have a "Therapy Tamagotchi" on my person - scientific research can be hard for me because I often have to wait for hours, sometimes days, between beginning an experiment and seeing the results, and I find that period to be ABSOLUTE TORTURE if I don't have something to keep me mentally occupied.

I feel yeah.... There is nothing like waiting all week to find out if your experiment worked or not and as much as I would love to bring my fluffy cat to the lab with me he would hate it, he would get fur everywhere and just being in the lab could ruin all of my research but no one can blame my collection of pixels for a gel not running, or a PCR not working or science hating me for weeks on end -- it gets really hard to be motivated when nothing works the waiting gets even worse. (side note you would absolutely loathe and hate how my masters went then in a couple hours is torture)

And I also agree they do cut down on my millions of thoughts (the bad, the mean, the what if I die, a tree falls on me that car hits me.. I fall on the ice too hard, and so on) they don't get rid of those thoughts all the way but they do help (especially when the thoughts get real bad).

I love that you can them a "therapy Tamagotchi" I might have to use that one :)

• Like 2

It's very intriguing to see that there are other people too who experience the same! I have suffered from anxiety for years now (also depression in past, but not currently).

Taking care of Tamagotchis seem to have a very soothing effect on me. It gives me something nice and safe to think about when I'm feeling bad.

Also, all the little daily surprises in Tamagotchis (such as evolving, trying out new items, getting mail etc.) are always something that makes my day a little bit.

Therefore I carry them in my pocket to literally everywhere. :D

• Like 1

I live with multiple mental illnesses (BPD, ADHD, Bipolar, C-PTSD), and I haven't had my Tama help with them yet, but I have had them be my "obsession of the week" multiple times. I wanna start seriously collecting them, though. Maybe that will help with some of my weird anxiety/dissociation issues.

My Tama did kinda help at work the other day, though. I had a woman tell me she was going to report me to corporate, and I was really anxious about that. Covering my hair also helps with my anxiety, cause it helps with pressure, and reduces outside stimulation.

• Like 1

I'm glad this topic exists! I struggle with social phobia & mood swings. My tamas are a source of uncomplicated joy. Sometimes I think they are my caretakers rather than vice versa ^_^ I run them when I need a regular distraction from my thoughts. I agree wholeheartedly that they feel both safe & surprising (and also that they are like therapy animals!) Their evolution patterns give me something to look forward to; everything about them fosters a more positive understanding of time (i.e. that ephemerality is not always bad - there are so many mysterious new things to anticipate!) I've come to see tamagotchis as a source of changeful constancy, if that makes any sense. They're always there, if/when I need them.

• Like 2

I've been dealing with depression, burnouts and psychosis and I feel like my tamagotchis have helped me a lot. Especially during those days when I've been feeling totally useless and terrible.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say I struggle with mental health, as such, and I have never been diagnosed with any sort of condition. So hats off to you guys who go through those daily struggles and come out at the other end still fighting!

However, I have my 'down days' and also have days where I struggle with panic attacks, the constant thought of not being good enough and the constant thought of no one liking me. Tamagotchis, although not a direct source of help and solace, allow me to feel relied upon and important - and of course, even if you accidentally kill off your little friend by being useless, there is no judgement whatsoever! You can carry on raising another little friend and they will still like you in their own digital way.

I have found that they calm me, de-stress me and help me to relax if I have had one of my difficult or 'down' days.

• Like 1

I don't really suffer from anything, as described above, but I just thought life was so boring and Tamagotchi kind

of made me look more forward to tomorrow, even if my friends think I'm weird for owning a zillion of them. :wub:

Edited by Verklighet
  • Like 1

well, to be fair i cant compare to the mental health part, but for some reason, my tamagotchis make me feel calmer. It may have to do with the fact i am constantly bullied, and in general when i get home i can feel calmer. My tamagotchis calm me, maybe its because it feels nice to have something that depends on you, and thats what sooves me...

• Like 2

I have depression and some anxiety, and Tamagotchis DEFINITELY help. I love animals, and having a Tamagotchi with me is like having a weird little alien animal at my side and it's amazing. It definitely cheers me up just watching their sprites go around the screen. I try to take as best care as possible, but I usually sleep in on the weekends and in summer and also I have issues with motivation, so sometimes it's hard. (The mini has been perfect though, because it's so low maintenance.) I always try to keep one on my during school because for some reason I don't have ANY of my friends in the same classes as me, and they keep me company.

• Like 2

I have severe major anxiety and collecting stuff helps ease it. Tamagotchis can be a help of sorts.

I'm retyping this again as it didn't post, butI have really bad depression, as in I don't want to live bad. I also have ADHD and anxiety. I don't have any tamas, but I really want one. I find the thought of tamagotchis calming. Without them, IDK where I'd be at now. I have no friends, very little social life - no, wait, practically no social life - parents who sometimes seem to hate me and no way of getting away from them. Sometimes I think I should've died all those years ago (I nearly died ages ago in an accident and am now extremely cautious). Tamagotchis help a lot with that. I just wish I had one. :(

I'm retyping this again as it didn't post, butI have really bad depression, as in I don't want to live bad. I also have ADHD and anxiety. I don't have any tamas, but I really want one. I find the thought of tamagotchis calming. Without them, IDK where I'd be at now. I have no friends, very little social life - no, wait, practically no social life - parents who sometimes seem to hate me and no way of getting away from them. Sometimes I think I should've died all those years ago (I nearly died ages ago in an accident and am now extremely cautious). Tamagotchis help a lot with that. I just wish I had one. :(
I hope you get one. Keep a lookout in thrift stores also. It's rare but you might get lucky and find a classic gen 1 or 2.

Ty, but I can't go in thrift stores. :(

I feel like they gotta help me a little, I always seem to run them during more stressful times and as someone who does suffer from a fair amount (depression, anxiety, schizophrenia) they seem to give me something else to concentrate on. And with work now instead of school its harder for me to justify running one, but holding one makes things seem easier I feel like. Plus I Love Himespetchi and seeing her always makes me feel better

Oh, and with the the little attention calls the Tama Friends does, its like they just want to remind you they love you and that helps

Tamagotchi just distracts me from my family problems. I'm happy to have them and they just make me so happy.

I don't like it when people say that tamagotchis are a kids toy.My tamagotchis help me cope with the issues I have in my life.And my other problems I have as well as my coloring helps me.And I can't have a pet here so I have my tamagotchi as my personal friends and pets etc.I always have and I always will love tamagotchis.I am also suffering with mental illness as well.

Edited by cherryvanilla