Sign in to follow this  
Porg

Is this pet (Gyaoppi) salvageable? :(

Hi everyone!

Its that time again! Time for Porg to make yet *another* thread asking for help. I’m so sorry about this guys, I am convinced that this site is going to be covered in threads made by only me before long. *Facepalm*

Right! Onto the issue- I am basically looking for answers as to whether or not this particular virtual pet is salvageable or not. The pet in question is my Super-Sized Super Gyaoppi. I’ve been very eager to play with this again, especially as when I received it, it was right at the end of my initial run, before life got busy. I haven’t opened it up before now and oh my goodness… I wish I had!

The back of the case was stained with a weird deep chestnut brown colour- which thankfully came off very easily. Much to my horror, that same deep brown stuff was inside on the battery terminal- mostly on one side. I’ve been scrubbing at it with white vinegar and rubbing alcohol- and I’ve managed to get quite a lot off, yet not all of it- given its on the spring coil and behind it and I don’t want to ruin anything. I have no idea what this brown stuff is- I assumed battery corrosion or rust at first. I’m assuming it is not rust, given when I scrub it off, the contacts are silver underneath.

After scrubbing at it to a point where I was willing to try some batteries, I popped them in and to my delight it beeped. Success! Or so I thought. Upon turning it over, the screen appears to have pixels missing and is pretty much unusable because of it. :( Buttons and sound are good, however.

Now, whilst scrubbing at my pet, I felt the case creek a little- so I am wondering two things- the first of which is, is this pet salvageable? And if so…. What can I do to save it?

The fading I will just have to put up with, as I am assuming this is due to age, yet the missing pixels are another story. Is it possibly caused by the remaining stuff left on the battery component? Or is it something to do with the screws holding the pet together (in which case, should I tighten them or open it up? I haven’t done so yet, as the screws are hidden in incredibly deep holes in the back). Is there something I can do internally to solve this- or is it simply down to the battery area (I am assuming not, given the sound works and it does turn on now). Or is it simply that this Virtual Pet is… Well… Sadly done for? :(

Any advise would be fantastic and very much appreciated. I am a worrier by nature and I am gutted to see that a pet I was looking forward to playing with isn’t working as desired- especially not as I have had issues with several pets I have booted up recently. :( I am really hoping that this is simply down to something as simple as tightening the screws…

Thank you in advance and sorry again for posting so many ‘help’ topics! I’ve posted pictures below of what the screen looks like and I have tried to take a photo of the brown side of the battery area. Unfortunately it doesn’t look brown on my camera, but it was hard to get it in the right angle to take a photo. You can see where I have cleaned it and removed some of the offending substance.

bmFYgXG.jpg

HIaNkbJ.jpg

WKP0LXY.jpgBqgcju5.jpg

I think the best you could do is opening the pet completely and seeing if the corrosion is anywhere else on the board. Sometimes pixels look like this due to a not tight enough casing, so maybe putting it back together could help too. And if you manage to take it apart maybe you would be able to remove the battery terminals and give them a vinegar bath for a longer while so all of the corrosion comes off.

• Like 2

i would open it up and look inside too, if not jsut for the fact that you'd be moving things inside around. Sometimes, you jsut need to realign things, and that might fix all your problems! of course, there could be corrosion inside, which you can also deal with that way as well.

• Like 2

Jhud/Pirorirotchi - Thank you so much for the advise and help. :wub: I think I will have a rummage in our toolbox tonight and see if I can find a screwdriver that will not strip and be able to get down the tiny screw holes. They are so deep and narrow, my usual 'Tama' screwdriver won't go down them. :( Fingers crossed I can find something and hopefully fix this critter.

I'll post here and keep things updated as to what I do, heres to hoping!

• Like 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Namekkin
      Hi everyone, it's a pleasure to be here.
      A little about me - I am a 36yo who never had his own gotchi back in the 90s (my sister had the chimp and kitty Giga Pets - the only ones our parents could find😅)
      At this stage in life I am longing for my own family but it hasn't happend, so... I have picked up virtual pets as a hobby!
      First I got a series 2 original Tamagotchi reissue, then a lavender Wonder Garden On.
      But my biggest obsession is Piccolo/Namekians from Dragon Ball Z, and in the absence of licensed DBZ pets, I have been looking at other units that allow you to raise aliens (want the alien Giga pet but y'know... EBay prices😑)
      But in my online browsing I found the Wave UFO from Bandai in the 90s, and something struck me on the back packaging... One of the alien transformations looks JUST like Piccolo! (I can't upload pics to this message maybe bc I'm new... Haven't used invision forum software in years)
      So now I have my pet alien that sometimes transforms into Piccolo when the device pics up a signal from my phone or the WiFi!
      (The fact this is from Bandai and 1997 let's me pretend the Piccolo design was accidentally on purpose a shoutout to Big Green Dad👽🐌💚

• By Eggiweg
      I got this odd pet in a lot, and it initially didn't work, but after disassembling it, I found that one of the capacitors on the board had come loose and the metal part that connects the two LR44 batteries together was missing.
      It comes in a dinkie dino shaped shell, and from the sprites, I think that this pet is a gyaoppi variant called the 'cute pet' listed on tamenargerie's odd pet page (links under the spoiler).
      There are 4 buttons, the first scrolls through icons, the 2nd and 3rd seem to have the same function, which is to select options and bring up the clock screen. The 4th button is the cancel button. The sound is quite loud, I've tried pressing combinations of these 4 buttons, but haven't found a way to turn off sound or reset the clock.
      The hatching animation showed a volcano erupting, and then a screen with a pulsating egg. Strangely enough, my pet hatched sick, with a skull icon above it's head.
      There are 10 icons, in order they are:
      Food (two options, a rice bowl? and seeds?) Lights Game Exercise (I've also seen this exercise animation on the cyberpet) Medical cross (brings up an animation of an ambulance, increases health bar but decreases happiness, can be used even when pet it not sick) Toilet Status Book (decreases happiness) Attention icon (non-selectable) Door The stats screen displays your pet's age, weight, hunger, EQ, happiness, health and IQ.

Selecting the Education and Door icons doesn't seem to do anything, maybe they only work when the pet calls for them. In the game, a heart flashes between two boxes and you have time your press to 'capture' the heart in a box. You can easily win by spamming the 1st button, as the heart will always spawn in the left box first. Winning increases both happiness and IQ.
      Edit: I tried the door icon today, and a box/door appeared onscreen, which the character went into. Maybe it acts as a sort of daycare function, as I now cannot do anything to the pet with the exception of checking the status. Clicking on the door icon again does nothing.
      Has anyone heard of this pet before? (Images under the spolier)
    • By PeteyPiranhasGF
      Hello! 

Recently I've been debating on purchasing a AngelScope virtual pet. Whenever I look up any information on it though, there's very little on it. One being from this site many years ago stating that it's a fortune teller? So I was hoping to make a more recent post on it and see if anyone has anymore information on it! Any bit helps! 
      One of my own personal questions is, what is the purpose of the three holes on the side of it?

Thank you!

• By missusmelty
      So I recently got a QT Rabbit Pet! All the pixels work, it's cute- but sadly there's two things wrong with it. 🥺 It's touch screen yet it doesn't work at times and sometimes it does if I'm lucky. It's also suppose to play music, which I'd like to try and fix too, but if not I would really like to get the touch screen working.

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to help/suggest anything! Thank you in advance!

ALSO! Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this in- I didn't know where else to go and ask this and thought this was my best bet!

• By kimcherries
      I remember owning a penguin virtual pet around 10 years ago, but I have no clue what it's called and have had zero success finding it online. It was white and the shape of an igloo, I believe about 4 inches long. It had a fairly large screen and a few buttons below the screen (I think there were 4 or 5?) I'd love to know if anyone owns one of these or knows what I'm referencing! I don't have a photo of it unfortunately. 
    • By 98mametchi98
      Hey I have just bought a Tamagotchi Gen1 in a good condition. Yesterday, when I start it, I saw a Box around the egg. I took apart the Tamagotchi and cleaning up the contacts from the screen. And last but not least: Its the same result.
      In this Video, you can see my Problem. (10:55)
      How can I fix it?
      Mametchi98