Is this pet (Gyaoppi) salvageable? :(

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porg

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Its that time again! Time for Porg to make yet *another* thread asking for help. I’m so sorry about this guys, I am convinced that this site is going to be covered in threads made by only me before long. *Facepalm*

Right! Onto the issue- I am basically looking for answers as to whether or not this particular virtual pet is salvageable or not. The pet in question is my Super-Sized Super Gyaoppi. I’ve been very eager to play with this again, especially as when I received it, it was right at the end of my initial run, before life got busy. I haven’t opened it up before now and oh my goodness… I wish I had!

The back of the case was stained with a weird deep chestnut brown colour- which thankfully came off very easily. Much to my horror, that same deep brown stuff was inside on the battery terminal- mostly on one side. I’ve been scrubbing at it with white vinegar and rubbing alcohol- and I’ve managed to get quite a lot off, yet not all of it- given its on the spring coil and behind it and I don’t want to ruin anything. I have no idea what this brown stuff is- I assumed battery corrosion or rust at first. I’m assuming it is not rust, given when I scrub it off, the contacts are silver underneath.

After scrubbing at it to a point where I was willing to try some batteries, I popped them in and to my delight it beeped. Success! Or so I thought. Upon turning it over, the screen appears to have pixels missing and is pretty much unusable because of it. :( Buttons and sound are good, however.

Now, whilst scrubbing at my pet, I felt the case creek a little- so I am wondering two things- the first of which is, is this pet salvageable? And if so…. What can I do to save it?

The fading I will just have to put up with, as I am assuming this is due to age, yet the missing pixels are another story. Is it possibly caused by the remaining stuff left on the battery component? Or is it something to do with the screws holding the pet together (in which case, should I tighten them or open it up? I haven’t done so yet, as the screws are hidden in incredibly deep holes in the back). Is there something I can do internally to solve this- or is it simply down to the battery area (I am assuming not, given the sound works and it does turn on now). Or is it simply that this Virtual Pet is… Well… Sadly done for? :(

Any advise would be fantastic and very much appreciated. I am a worrier by nature and I am gutted to see that a pet I was looking forward to playing with isn’t working as desired- especially not as I have had issues with several pets I have booted up recently. :( I am really hoping that this is simply down to something as simple as tightening the screws…

Thank you in advance and sorry again for posting so many ‘help’ topics! I’ve posted pictures below of what the screen looks like and I have tried to take a photo of the brown side of the battery area. Unfortunately it doesn’t look brown on my camera, but it was hard to get it in the right angle to take a photo. You can see where I have cleaned it and removed some of the offending substance.

bmFYgXG.jpg

HIaNkbJ.jpg

WKP0LXY.jpg
Bqgcju5.jpg

I think the best you could do is opening the pet completely and seeing if the corrosion is anywhere else on the board. Sometimes pixels look like this due to a not tight enough casing, so maybe putting it back together could help too. And if you manage to take it apart maybe you would be able to remove the battery terminals and give them a vinegar bath for a longer while so all of the corrosion comes off.

i would open it up and look inside too, if not jsut for the fact that you'd be moving things inside around. Sometimes, you jsut need to realign things, and that might fix all your problems! of course, there could be corrosion inside, which you can also deal with that way as well.

Jhud/Pirorirotchi - Thank you so much for the advise and help. :wub: I think I will have a rummage in our toolbox tonight and see if I can find a screwdriver that will not strip and be able to get down the tiny screw holes. They are so deep and narrow, my usual 'Tama' screwdriver won't go down them. :( Fingers crossed I can find something and hopefully fix this critter.

I'll post here and keep things updated as to what I do, heres to hoping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back