MellowMood

What game are you currently playing?

39 minutes ago, Eggiweg said:

Mad envy on the micro front,

Haha, thanks! :) I got this one brand-new for a very small sum (I think about £30?) after they were clearanced because almost nobody wanted them at the time, and it's proven to be a really good little device (it used to pull double-duty as an MP3 player, with the Nintendo MP3 Player cartridge, which was the cut-down Western version of the Play-Yan - it's always had some form of keychain attached to it, though the current parts were newly-attached just last week, because I wanted something sturdier than what I'd used before). I wouldn't've gone with pink as my first choice back then, but it certainly turned out to go well with the third-party faceplate that I got for it at the time. :D

and yeah, I agree, the price of a backlighting kit is a big barrier (although the work put into them certainly justifies the cost).

Oh, definitely! It's something that I'd love to do, honestly, though it can wait for now.

I've seen some GB Boys transplanted into GBC shells, but the screen ratio always feels a little bit off, athough you are absolutely right, the price point is unbeatable.

Yeah, I've seen that, too! The aspect-ratio issue is perfectly livable for me, so it's a no-brainer to add one to my collection. Maybe a Game Boy collection shot deserves to be taken, at some point? :lol:

Of course, I also really hope to be able to get an Analogue Pocket, which looks fantastic!

Incidentally, Eggiweg, I didn't expect that someone else here would be a bit of a Game Boy enthusiast, too. :lol: Naturally, I test out the Tamagotchi Game Boy game on every unit that I have - it deserves way more exposure within the community, I think, and I guess that that's one way of doing that (I'm sure that there will be more hardware seen running it in my log at some point). :D

I've been playing more stuff since I posted last, too - a stack of Game Boy games that I've been wanting arrived (some are part of an ongoing rebuild of what I regret trading in as a kid, others are completely new to me because my Game Boy collection is my focus at the moment and I'm not all about nostalgia), and I had to test them all. One of them was a combined grail and trade-in-regret, too - Metal Gear Solid for the Game Boy Colour. :D

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 3

Hmmm. My brothers have PlayStations and a lot of games. :lol: 

• Like 2

I adore the GB Micro. It's a big shame it kinda floundered because it's my favorite way to play GBA games.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

Yeah, I've seen that, too! The aspect-ratio issue is perfectly livable for me, so it's a no-brainer to add one to my collection. Maybe a Game Boy collection shot deserves to be taken, at some point? :lol:

Of course, I also really hope to be able to get an Analogue Pocket, which looks fantastic!

I'd love to see your GB Boy mod when you get round to it :lol:I'm patiently waiting for everyone to get their analogue preorders so I can finally see footage of the thing in action, the mock-ups look so good.

Incidentally, Eggiweg, I didn't expect that someone else here would be a bit of a Game Boy enthusiast, too. :lol: Naturally, I test out the Tamagotchi Game Boy game on every unit that I have - it deserves way more exposure within the community, I think, and I guess that that's one way of doing that (I'm sure that there will be more hardware seen running it in my log at some point). :D

I've been playing more stuff since I posted last, too - a stack of Game Boy games that I've been wanting arrived (some are part of an ongoing rebuild of what I regret trading in as a kid, others are completely new to me because my Game Boy collection is my focus at the moment and I'm not all about nostalgia), and I had to test them all. One of them was a combined grail and trade-in-regret, too - Metal Gear Solid for the Game Boy Colour. :D

I'm surprised there aren't more of us actually, given the huge overlap I've seen on other social media sites, also I've only heard good things about MGS for the GBC, hope you enjoy it!

16 hours ago, Tacoburritotchi said:

Hmmm. My brothers have PlayStations and a lot of games. :lol: 

Kinda wish my PSP wasn't broken so I could try out Azure Dreams for the PS1.

1 hour ago, Eggiweg said:

I'd love to see your GB Boy mod when you get round to it :lol:

I'm not modding it, I'm just leaving it as-is, when I get it. :)

I'm patiently waiting for everyone to get their analogue preorders so I can finally see footage of the thing in action, the mock-ups look so good.

Yep, same here!

I'm surprised there aren't more of us actually, given the huge overlap I've seen on other social media sites,

I didn't know about that, but I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised - the eras of the devices in question overlap, too, after all! :lol:

also I've only heard good things about MGS for the GBC, hope you enjoy it!

Thanks! Looking back on it as an adult, I really regretted trading it in back in the day. It's great to have it again. :D

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 1

Zl3YTBf.jpg

Well, I got that GB Boy Colour! :D (And I played through Kirby's Dream Land yet again - it never gets old. :))

I've written up some thoughts about it in my log, but long story short, it's no substitute for a real Game Boy due to a handful of quirks and what appears to be incompatibilities with some popular titles, but it is a really nice cheap secondary unit with some nice features that cost a lot more to mod into an official machine than this entire pretty-well-made ready-to-go unit costs.

Iy6SxpO.jpg

I've got to say, the screen really is surprisingly nice for the price, in spite of the aspect-ratio not matching that of the original hardware. :)

Anyway, I have been playing one game in particular lately, and I brought it out again after I got the GB Boy Colour, and that game is Worms. I had it back in the day, and have long since regretted trading it in, so I got it back. :D It's just as great as it ever was, and for me the well-balanced simplicity easily outdoes the wealth of impenetrable in-jokes and unintuitive items and features that mar the more recent Worms titles.

Earlier, I set up a match between team Vintage (Gen1-2, Angel, Mori, and Ocean) and team Modern (Connectn, so named because of the 8-character limit, Akai, P's, and Meets-On). And the result?

5FsKuKQ.jpg

Team Vintage won. :D

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 3

Rn i am playing Danganronpa 2 ^-^ I am rly enjoying it so far! :wub:

• Like 2

I'm playing Link's Awakening for the Switch, Mario Kart 8, Animal Crossing and New Leaf. My play schedule's been a mess lately