KidRetro64

Fake Tamagotchis Are All over the Internet

On 9/3/2021 at 6:33 PM, Eozeda said:

Thankfully there is a "counterfeit" option when reporting those that generally seems to work!

I never knew this existed! I’ll definitely try this when I’m next buying anything on there.

when it's a US seller who paid maybe $1, then relists it for $25 or more... While blatantly claiming it's genuine or playing dumb.

Honestly there are quite a lot of Tamagotchi ‘resellers’ even to this day. I think Etsy has the most, and some of them even sell fakes along with genuine items? I’m not sure why.

Let's cross our fingers the market declines for the sake of less informed individuals wishing to relive their childhoods, and frequently get scammed by "Tamagotchi Connection" titled fakes. 🥺

The amount of videos on TikTok and YouTube with the title of ‘Unboxing my childhood Tamagotchi’ and it being a counterfeit hurts my heart. It’s nowhere near what their childhood was, whatever type of Virtual Pet they had.

• Like 2

Unfortunately there will always be greedy idiots trying to cash in on 90's nostalgia by selling bootleg sub-standard garbage. pretty sure most retailers have a report system for them though as @Eozeda pointed out.

Edited by FurbyTamagotchiGizmoFijits
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, KidRetro64 said:

The amount of videos on TikTok and YouTube with the title of ‘Unboxing my childhood Tamagotchi’ and it being a counterfeit hurts my heart. It’s nowhere near what their childhood was, whatever type of Virtual Pet they had.

This is probably the most tragic consequence, because they're definitely unhappy and disappointed with the quality. They're often confused about it's functions and why it randomly resets, or one of the many other issues we're aware these bootlegs have, which make it feel less and less like the experience they hoped for. It truly is heartbreaking.

4 hours ago, FurbyTamagotchiGizmoFijits said:

Unfortunately there will always be greedy idiots trying to cash in on 90's nostalgia by selling bootleg sub-standard garbage. pretty sure most retailers have a report system for them though as @Eozeda pointed out.

I couldn't recommend report functions enough! No circumstance should you attempt to contact the person, if you think they've made an unintentional mistake. One time before I was wiser, I tried to respectfully but subtly request a clearer image of the back cover to see Bandai year of make, in order to figure out which Connection version. 😅 Her high seller rating and bio seemed innocent and friendly enough.

I was more foolish than anything. She deleted her listing, yelled at me on one of my own items, then relisted at the same outrageous price an hour later – while using only an image of the front and the new description, "It says Tamagotchi Connection on it." Better to act dumb than obviously con? 🦝 It got taken down two more times finally.

They know what they're doing, even with a bio that depicts an innocent parent selling outgrown toys like her. My own fault, but it was hurtful, and it taught me to 100% use the report and block functions. I feel so dumb admitting it, but it's a lesson to anyone with like-minded good intentions.

Edited by Eozeda
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Eozeda said:

I feel so dumb admitting it, but it's a lesson to anyone with like-minded good intentions.

Don't feel dumb - you did the right thing. Sometimes, people genuinely don't know, and it's just unfortunate that the one that you encountered was a bad apple. The lesson is good too - it's better to just report fakes outright.

The funny thing is, I remember seeing these things described with "It says Tamagotchi Connection on it." and similar at one point, and it set alarm-bells ringing more than the usual descriptions do! :o After all, at that point it sounds even more obvious that they know they're selling a fake.

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

Don't feel dumb - you did the right thing. Sometimes, people genuinely don't know, and it's just unfortunate that the one that you encountered was a bad apple. The lesson is good too - it's better to just report fakes outright.

I really appreciate you saying that. 🥺 In general I rather forgive and go benefit of the doubt, since I've had positive outcomes through contact. Though after that person, and seeing similarly priced/described listings, I'm simultaneously afraid of the sellers as well as guilty to make quick judgements. But we're all much better off protecting ourselves and potential victims than to worry about the individuals selling fakes.

12 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

The funny thing is, I remember seeing these things described with "It says Tamagotchi Connection on it." and similar at one point, and it set alarm-bells ringing more than the usual descriptions do! :o After all, at that point it sounds even more obvious that they know they're selling a fake.

That's how I felt too! Acting exceedingly ignorant to a product's functions or origin is probably one of the most suspicious things a seller can do. :kusatchi: Not always of course, just something to be wary of.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eozeda said:

But we're all much better off protecting ourselves and potential victims than to worry about the individuals selling fakes.

Realistically, scams and fakes are unavoidable. Even for people like me and you who know their Fakes from their legitimate items, there will be people who false advertise. I have definitely been scammed before, and also overcharged. Ebay is full of people like this.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, KidRetro64 said:

Realistically, scams and fakes are unavoidable. Even for people like me and you who know their Fakes from their legitimate items, there will be people who false advertise. I have definitely been scammed before, and also overcharged. Ebay is full of people like this.

It's an unfortunate truth, but I completely agree. We can only keep doing our best to look out for one another and avoid what we know to be a scam. Worrying about scammer's feelings about being reported shouldn't be the priority after all. I'm just sad we've all been through those major letdowns at some point. 😞

• Like 3

Hey, I see that this is an old thread, I'm a collector of many things and I'm just getting into tamagotchi. I saw one on ebay that advertised as rare and is quite expensive. Is there a way to DM any of you to chat about it? 

1 hour ago, Adama said:

Hey, I see that this is an old thread, I'm a collector of many things and I'm just getting into tamagotchi. I saw one on ebay that advertised as rare and is quite expensive. Is there a way to DM any of you to chat about it? 

It would be best to make a thread over in the "What's On Your Mind?" or "Seriously Tamagotchi" sections of the forum for this, so that others in the community can benefit from the same advice. You don't have to post the link to the listing, though of course if you're looking for specifics then pictures and descriptions will help a lot! :)