Sumikko Atsume

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkalila

Reaction score
Sumikko Atsume is a virtual pet based on Sumikko Gurashi, a set of characters produced by San-X. I've been considering getting this v-pet but I'm still unsure because it goes for around $60, which is on the higher end in my opinion. (But it's just so cute!) Do any of you guys have a Sumikko Atsume? What do you think of it?

sumikkoimag.jpg

I love the Sumikko Atsume characters and I sorta kinda really want one of these. But it would be the first non-Tamagotchi virtual pet I'd have ever bought, and part of me says that the money spent on it could go towards, y'know, expanding my actual-Tamagotchi collection. The struggle :p

I love the Sumikko Atsume characters and I sorta kinda really want one of these. But it would be the first non-Tamagotchi virtual pet I'd have ever bought, and part of me says that the money spent on it could go towards, y'know, expanding my actual-Tamagotchi collection. The struggle :p
I understand that! I worry I might lose interest since I know it's supposed to be very easy to care for, and I don't think you can die at all. But from what I've seen, the games look really fun, and the mechanic of shaking it to make things happen occasionally looks really unique!

I think it's more of a game than a virtual pet.

I think it's more of a game than a virtual pet.
Yeah, you could say that, since a major point seems to be collecting things (hence the name "atsume"). I just think it's fair to call it a v-pet since you still are taking care of the sumikko gurashi characters like pets! I wonder what defines a v-pet if it being a pet isn't enough? Regardless, I would be very interested to see more modern devices similar to this with focus on being a cohesive game that you could complete over a longer period of time.

Yeah, good point, I guess what I wanted to say that that it's more of a "virtual pet game" than a Tamagotchi-style virtual pet! You know, like you wouldn't call the Neopets website a "Tamagotchi" style virtual pet either.

I just ordered one and I can't wait to get it! I'm a little worried about the language barrier but I think I'll figure it out. Once I get it and test it out I'll update.

Ordered one too. I've been um-ing and ahh-ing for ages but finally did it after seeing some instagram posts and watching YT vids (because what else changes your mind, right?).

They look cool, but I should probably dig up some of those vids. Got any links on hand? (I'm at work and not paying attention to a meeting I'm in, so I can't dig right now. :D )

These are so cute. <3 Has anyone watched the show they are from (or is it a show?)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone watched the show they are from (or is it a show?)?
The Sumikko Gurashi franchise originated from a series of giftwares that's based around a tendency towards being shy and reserved, and consequently hiding in corners, that's widespread in Japan (the name translates to something like "Adventures in the Corners", "Hiding in the Corners" or "Corner Creatures"), which are popular because they're cute.

Sumikko Gurashi items used to only be available in Japan, but can now be purchased in some countries outside of Japan (though I doubt that this would lead to a Western release for this particular game).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,

So I got my Sumikko Atsume yesterday and have been playing with it since after work. A few things I've noticed so far:

1. It has a nice color screen, "proper" sounds (i.e. not various beeping tones like the Tamagotchi, which my bf hates), and utilises shaking/movement for many of its features.

2. You're looking after numerous characters, not just one. Simple feeding, petting, etc. Looks like you can also unlock clothing items for each one.

3. There are 6 mini games, which are all very short. I like the fishing game, where you 'flick' the toy to catch the fish.

I'm still trying to figure out things - you collect or 'capture' versions of each character type? You also have to figure out what each character's favourite food is? Still working on it, so I can report back here if anyone wants (someone will probably make a guide eventually, though - right?)

I'm enjoying figuring it out and translating things as I go. It's at about a 8/10 cute level - it's cute in that the animals are adorable and do adorable things (there also appears to be a 'pork cutlet' [tonkatsu] character?), but they don't interact with you the same way a tamagotchi character does.

A couple of Sumikko Atsume videos in English for those a little more curious, too.

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png

There's no growth/evolution/life cycle, right? You catch stuff and it just stays that way forever?
That's correct. No growth. You don't get to play with the character versions, as far as I can tell (i.e. there's the core characters that are always there and they have versions you 'catch', but it just adds to a gallery - a super cute gallery though).

By playing with it you're supposed to be able to unlock new things - food, traps, clothing/hats - but so far I've only unlocked a couple of things. Everything else has been purchased through points I've earned in the mini games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back