Alright so, I'm not very good at telling things apart at first glance, especially not Mini's and Original P1/P2s. There's this listing on eBay, and I can't tell if it's a mini or a P1. It has the same shell as a few minis ive seen but I know that minis are based on the original tamagotchi's, so I'm not sure. Also, since they're photos on eBay, i can't physically discern the size of the listed tamagotchi vs a tamagotchi mini. This listing itself is probably a P1/P2, as it has 1997 on the back, but sometimes listings don't include photos of the back, so.

How can I tell the difference between a Tamagotchi P1/P2 and a Tamagotchi Mini?

I mainly ask because I want to know for future reference even though I can tell in this particular scenario so I don't have to worry too hard about it on a later date and can solve the mystery on my own. Does anyone know an effective way to tell P1/P2s apart from Mini's without using size?

You can show us a picture and we will probably know.

As for visible differences, I'd say that Minis seem more "round" and seem to have a slightly smaller screen-to-shell ratio?

Also the packages are different, if that helps.

P1/P2's usually come in packages like this:

https://pixelsandplastic.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/p1tama1011-boxset1.jpg (USA)

Or this:

img_0753_resized_by_tamagotchiocean-dbjf (Japan)

While Minis come in a white blister, which is based on the European release- European releases are the rarest of the three and usually come for way more than USA/Japanese versions.

That's how the European release P1 looks like, notice that it's not necessarily a blister:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/tamagotchi/images/8/80/European_tamagotchi.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20131009004935

Edited by Jhud
  • Like 2

Thank you! I'll probably just post a picture and ask for help in the future if I really can't tell, but I don't want to bother people with it every time I come across one I just can't make out, y'know? Anyways thank you so much! :wub:

The other big tell that I've seen is that if you can see the item icons on the packaging or a screenshot, then it's not a Mini. Also, if there's any characters from the P2, since the mini only has characters from P1.

• Like 1

I just want to add to what Jhud says about packaging: The Japanese version of the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini actually comes in a replica of the Japanese packaging from 1996. The big tell in that case is that, as far as I know, the Mini has a different copyright year printed at the bottom of the packaging. (The same goes for the "Shuku 20 Shunen" P1 and P2 replicas, too.)

Edited by Penguin-keeper

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By TamaTom95
      Hi there, recently I got myself a second-hand tamagotchi P1 (gen 1) re-released version. The case design indicates that it's a Japanese version. It's pinkish-red, with blue clock numbers and blue buttons, and black arrows. At the back, there is the usual "Bandai, Wiz 2017" and below some Japanese wordings. However, the language in the game itself is in English. I don't think it's a fake since the gameplay is similar to the original P1. I'm curious as to why this is so. Anyone has any insights? Thanks :)
    • By ꌃꍏꌩꂦꍟꈤ_꓄ꍏꂵꍏꁅꂦ꓄ꉓꃅ
      while i was browsing ebay, i noticed a tamagotchi mini but there was something on the screen(some type of animation)i haven't seen before.. 
      https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bandai-tamagotchi-Mini-2004-2005-Pink-Working/193109311605?hash=item2cf6364075:g:rM0AAOSwMSddgfM7 (since i'm canadian i use ebay.ca)
      if you look at the photo's, the screen has something on it I never seen before, idk if this is a secret character or a dummy animation.. can anyone explain this please?
      another thing is an unusual color of a tamagotchi angel... bronze with silver wings?? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bandai-Tamagotchi-Tenshitchi-Angelgotchi-1997-Virtual-Pet-Brand-New-Japan/174003103131?hash=item288364a59b:g:ErYAAOSwYVFdW3ul
    • By 98mametchi98
      I would be interested to know which Tamagotchi her qualitatively and quantitatively better. The old from 1997 or the rerelease of 2018?
    • By Reyvateil
      It appears that a Pokemon cross over with Tamagotchi was recently leaked! (See source at Serebii and Siliconera here: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/11/06/a-special-eevee-and-tamagotchi-collaboration-digital-pet-appears-to-be-in-the-works/ , https://serebii.net/news/2018/06-November-2018.shtml ) This hasn't been announced officially as of yet, so lets hope for more news.

This is like a dream come true. I can't even describe the excitement. I also have no idea when the release date will fall, but hopefully we'll see more of this soon.
    • By tamapalace
      If you’ve been drooling over the images GameStop has released of the P1 & P2 replicas this week, then boy do we have some good news for you! You may recall that these devices will not be available for sale until October, but if you’re in the San Diego area you might just be in luck.
      If you’re attending the San Diego Comic-Con this year you will be able to purchase 2 exclusive Tamagotchi’s straight from Bandai’s booth (#3535). Bandai will be selling exclusive metallic Tamagotchi P1 & P2 replicas. These devices feature the same programing as the original P1’s and P2’s back in the 90’s. The packaging is merely identical to the packaging GameStop released, but note that the top features the “Convention Exclusive” verbiage.
      The P1 features a purple metallic shell, where as the P2 features a blue metallic shell. Both devices feature yellow buttons. These models are completely exclusive to the San Diego Comic-Con. Bandai will be selling them for $40 USD, and there will only be a limited number of them available each day of the convention. The San Diego Comic-Con starts on Thursday July 19th, and wraps up on Sunday July 22nd.
      So if you can’t wait until October to get your hands on the replicas, then we hope you’ve got tickets for the San Diego Comic-Con and a few extra dollars to get your hands on one of these! We want to hear what you think in the comments below, which shell is your favorite?