Mini vs Originals

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenRita

Reaction score
Alright so, I'm not very good at telling things apart at first glance, especially not Mini's and Original P1/P2s. There's this listing on eBay, and I can't tell if it's a mini or a P1. It has the same shell as a few minis ive seen but I know that minis are based on the original tamagotchi's, so I'm not sure. Also, since they're photos on eBay, i can't physically discern the size of the listed tamagotchi vs a tamagotchi mini. This listing itself is probably a P1/P2, as it has 1997 on the back, but sometimes listings don't include photos of the back, so.

How can I tell the difference between a Tamagotchi P1/P2 and a Tamagotchi Mini?

I mainly ask because I want to know for future reference even though I can tell in this particular scenario so I don't have to worry too hard about it on a later date and can solve the mystery on my own. Does anyone know an effective way to tell P1/P2s apart from Mini's without using size?

You can show us a picture and we will probably know.

As for visible differences, I'd say that Minis seem more "round" and seem to have a slightly smaller screen-to-shell ratio?

Also the packages are different, if that helps.

P1/P2's usually come in packages like this:

https://pixelsandplastic.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/p1tama1011-boxset1.jpg (USA)

Or this:

img_0753_resized_by_tamagotchiocean-dbjfu95.jpg
(Japan)

While Minis come in a white blister, which is based on the European release- European releases are the rarest of the three and usually come for way more than USA/Japanese versions.

That's how the European release P1 looks like, notice that it's not necessarily a blister:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/tamagotchi/images/8/80/European_tamagotchi.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20131009004935

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! I'll probably just post a picture and ask for help in the future if I really can't tell, but I don't want to bother people with it every time I come across one I just can't make out, y'know? Anyways thank you so much! :wub:

The other big tell that I've seen is that if you can see the item icons on the packaging or a screenshot, then it's not a Mini. Also, if there's any characters from the P2, since the mini only has characters from P1.

I just want to add to what Jhud says about packaging: The Japanese version of the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini actually comes in a replica of the Japanese packaging from 1996. The big tell in that case is that, as far as I know, the Mini has a different copyright year printed at the bottom of the packaging. (The same goes for the "Shuku 20 Shunen" P1 and P2 replicas, too.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back