Bandai's Plans for Tamagotchi in 2018+?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatareyoutalkingabout

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get opinions on what you all think Bandai's future plans with Tamagotchi is, from 2018 and beyond.

In Japan, but also especially in the USA, where it seems to be dead except for the mini anniversary versions. Just curious to see what other people are thinking, or what they think would be the best route for Bandai to take.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get opinions on what you all think Bandai's future plans with Tamagotchi is, from 2018 and beyond.

In Japan, but also especially in the USA, where it seems to be dead except for the mini anniversary versions. Just curious to see what other people are thinking, or what they think would be the best route for Bandai to take.
The best route they could ever take is to bring Tamagotchi back to its former glory. Tamagotchi was a great invention that should never ever die.

Reactions: Iza
There was a sighting of what might've been one of the Shuku 20 Shunen Tamagotchis (replicas/remakes of the originals, which have less-scheduled pooping, misbehaviour, and sickness, and who can die from being overfed snacks during the child stage) at a UK toy trade-show back in February, so I'm hoping that we'll at least get an English release of those sometime this year! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if there will be something new in the works since they've milked the M!x pretty hard, but on the other hand the M!x is a pretty good 'platform' setup for a tamagotchi, and they can just release new ones with more content rather than a whole new Tamagotchi...

On the other hand, as PK said, hopefully minis everywhere means they're testing the waters for international again. Seeing the boom even on these boards of new blood... it's not impossible, even if we're still a pretty niche group.

All I hope is that they keep coming up with new stuff... and maybe re-release the P's so I can get a new one at non-insane prices. XD

On the other hand, as PK said, hopefully minis everywhere means they're testing the waters for international again. Seeing the boom even on these boards of new blood... it's not impossible, even if we're still a pretty niche group.
Don't forget the "rule of tens", though, which kind of applies to this. Most people won't join an online discussion forum about something, but that doesn't mean that they're not out there - we know that the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Minis are selling well, after all, because they keep making more of them. ;)

There was a sighting of what might've been one of the Shuku 20 Shunen Tamagotchis (replicas/remakes of the originals, which have less-scheduled pooping, misbehaviour, and sickness, and who can die from being overfed snacks during the child stage) at a UK toy trade-show back in February, so I'm hoping that we'll at least get an English release of those sometime this year! :D
Very cool! I hope something like this happens. I just think Bandai needs to do more than just released an app. I had Tamagotchi Forever for literally like 1 day then deleted it. Just not the same. I haven't heard much buzz about it either so it must not have connected with audiences very well? I don't know.

I hope they bring the older ones back. I haven't had the change to explore the varieties of them, since I'm

not a 90's kid. Maybe they could update them or simplify them like the Mini? Or maybe relaunch them altogether.

People did seem to like them in their day.

It'd be tricky to do a lot of re-releases since there have been so many different versions. But I'd like them. XD

As I've mentioned elsewhere, they could do something like the Digimon 20th annniversary Digivices and just cram basically v1-v3 into one device.

Maybe they'll wait to do anything big until the next iteration of Tamas? It seems like the M!x is running towards the end of its lifespan, though it works as a really solid platform overall. They could easily do a 'M!x v2' that just expands on locations, jobs, pets, clothes.... all the stuff PK doesn't want in a tama. XD

On the other hand, they could make a pretty legit black and white tama that really nails the nostalgic experience (like I said, something like a v1-3 combo device).

The app is a good idea, but yeah, apps just don't FEEL like vpets, and it's just not the same. It might be a good idea to integrate the vpets with the apps, though (like Tamatown, basically, where the app is Tamatown), and so you can have the app but expand play with a vpet...

Just rambling in between meetings at work, but I'm excited to see what's next since there hasn't been a *NEW* tama since Gudetama, and that was really just a slightly more complex Mini (good though).

It'd be tricky to do a lot of re-releases since there have been so many different versions. But I'd like them. XD

As I've mentioned elsewhere, they could do something like the Digimon 20th annniversary Digivices and just cram basically v1-v3 into one device.

Maybe they'll wait to do anything big until the next iteration of Tamas? It seems like the M!x is running towards the end of its lifespan, though it works as a really solid platform overall. They could easily do a 'M!x v2' that just expands on locations, jobs, pets, clothes.... all the stuff PK doesn't want in a tama. XD

On the other hand, they could make a pretty legit black and white tama that really nails the nostalgic experience (like I said, something like a v1-3 combo device).

The app is a good idea, but yeah, apps just don't FEEL like vpets, and it's just not the same. It might be a good idea to integrate the vpets with the apps, though (like Tamatown, basically, where the app is Tamatown), and so you can have the app but expand play with a vpet...

Just rambling in between meetings at work, but I'm excited to see what's next since there hasn't been a *NEW* tama since Gudetama, and that was really just a slightly more complex Mini (good though).
I like the idea of the M!x v2 being brought to the United States, because I think the "mixing" feature would draw customers. Maybe they could combine this with some nostalgic factor as well, because I think that would help them sell.

Although, if it is only marketed toward young kids and they are made all girly like in Japan I doubt that they would do very well. One thing I miss about the Connections are the unisex aspect of all of them. All of my friends in elementary and middle school had Tamagotchis, because they were never marketed toward one specific demographic. It is beyond me why they decided to completely go 100% girly instead of keeping their neutral appeal like they used to.

It was because most of the fan base for a long time was/is women. I mean, just on this board I already feel like a grown man such as myself playing as tamas is the exception. Not that it matters, because tamas are great and everyone here is fun to talk to. XD

That said, I do wish things were a little more unisex as you say. I got my first P's off ebay last night, and one thing that appealed to me is that all the glitter was worn off of it. XD
And honestly, right now in the US there's more of a push to make gender-neutral stuff for kids and young adults, so it's the right time to give it a shot. I think that's part of while the bulk of the minis are pretty 'basic' in terms of decos. Don't get me wrong, I love my flame v4.5, my grey-and-purple camo v2, and my black-and-gold v5, but some cool, old-school two-tone shell designs are welcome as well.

Tamas used to be gender neutral, but Bandai just realized that it's mostly girls that play with them, so they decided to aim tamas more and more at girls while making Digimon the "boy" franchise. Though now that Digimon is an adult franchise (they decided that they just can't sell Digimon to kids anymore) it would make sense to make tamas more gender neutral again... Though I'm personally not too bothered about them being "girly", I'm quite a girly guy myself. :p

As for tamas being taken down altogether, it is a fact that tamagotchi hasn't been doing too well as of late. I can understand closing of TamaDepa, but closing the online store as well is a bit less understandable, in my opinion... Things are definitely not doing that well. And there hasn't been any new anime in the works either for now- anime has been a big selling point for tamagotchi for a while but it has been discontinued.

No franchise can last forever. Plus toy companies haven't been doing too well in general as of late. Instead of promoting the toys for kids.... toys are promoted for toy review youtubers now. Statistically, actual kids and parents of kids don't buy that many toys anymore, the majority of sales are made up of toy review youtubers. At least in the US, not sure if it is also true for Japan.

It was because most of the fan base for a long time was/is women. I mean, just on this board I already feel like a grown man such as myself playing as tamas is the exception. Not that it matters, because tamas are great and everyone here is fun to talk to. XDThat said, I do wish things were a little more unisex as you say. I got my first P's off ebay last night, and one thing that appealed to me is that all the glitter was worn off of it. XD

And honestly, right now in the US there's more of a push to make gender-neutral stuff for kids and young adults, so it's the right time to give it a shot. I think that's part of while the bulk of the minis are pretty 'basic' in terms of decos. Don't get me wrong, I love my flame v4.5, my grey-and-purple camo v2, and my black-and-gold v5, but some cool, old-school two-tone shell designs are welcome as well.
Don't worry. I'm also a grown man. We can be out of place together.

I hope they bring the older ones back. I haven't had the change to explore the varieties of them, since I'm

not a 90's kid. Maybe they could update them or simplify them like the Mini? Or maybe relaunch them altogether.

People did seem to like them in their day.
That's what the Shuku 20 Shunen Tamagotchis are - slightly-updated replicas with a bit more randomness in their daily routine. :D

all the stuff PK doesn't want in a tama. XD
;)

I'm not so sure that that is a good idea, myself, at least not if the "integration" is anything more than superficial. The trouble with such things is that the mobile-gaming market is so ephemeral, that it's guaranteed that one day that functionality will be lost, because once it's not the "latest and greatest", it'll quickly fall from grace.

I saw something saying tamagotchis are being taken down altogether. Is this true?
Can you provide a source for that, please?

Tamas used to be gender neutral, but Bandai just realized that it's mostly girls that play with them, so they decided to aim tamas more and more at girls while making Digimon the "boy" franchise.
See, I've always found this approach to be a little bit weird. Not all girls and women want pretty-in-pink and glitter. Personally, I couldn't think of anything worse! :lol:

Plus toy companies haven't been doing too well in general as of late. Instead of promoting the toys for kids.... toys are promoted for toy review youtubers now. Statistically, actual kids and parents of kids don't buy that many toys anymore, the majority of sales are made up of toy review youtubers. At least in the US, not sure if it is also true for Japan.
I don't suppose that you've got any links for further reading about this, have you, please? :eek:

I'm interested in learning more about this, especially since my understanding is that the tiny minority of the market that are YouTube reviewers actually get samples, freebies, and handouts, rather than having to actually buy stuff for themselves (I even know some people whose businesses have gotten cookie-cutter e-mails asking for such). But even if they did have to buy things for themselves, they're still a drop in the ocean compared to the market as a whole - those few YouTubers can't possibly account for the volume of sales that mass-production leads to.

Tamas used to be gender neutral, but Bandai just realized that it's mostly girls that play with them, so they decided to aim tamas more and more at girls while making Digimon the "boy" franchise. Though now that Digimon is an adult franchise (they decided that they just can't sell Digimon to kids anymore) it would make sense to make tamas more gender neutral again... Though I'm personally not too bothered about them being "girly", I'm quite a girly guy myself. :p

As for tamas being taken down altogether, it is a fact that tamagotchi hasn't been doing too well as of late. I can understand closing of TamaDepa, but closing the online store as well is a bit less understandable, in my opinion... Things are definitely not doing that well. And there hasn't been any new anime in the works either for now- anime has been a big selling point for tamagotchi for a while but it has been discontinued.

No franchise can last forever. Plus toy companies haven't been doing too well in general as of late. Instead of promoting the toys for kids.... toys are promoted for toy review youtubers now. Statistically, actual kids and parents of kids don't buy that many toys anymore, the majority of sales are made up of toy review youtubers. At least in the US, not sure if it is also true for Japan.
Hearing all that makes me worried about the future of Tamagotchi.

They did just release those new M!X's and the 20th Ann. Tama, so maybe they're going to take

it easy before figuring out what Banai wants to do next?

I hope it lasts a few more years, at least, before Tamagotchi decides to die out.

Hearing all that makes me worried about the future of Tamagotchi.

They did just release those new M!X's and the 20th Ann. Tama, so maybe they're going to take

it easy before figuring out what Banai wants to do next?

I hope it lasts a few more years, at least, before Tamagotchi decides to die out.
With the current nostalgia resurgence for the 90s and even early 2000s, there is no way they die out any time soon. In my opinion anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back