How many fandoms have you’ve been in?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many fandoms have you?ve been in?

• 1-10

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • 10-50

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • 50-infinity

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breadcrumbs

Reaction score
just a poll guys.

personally, i dont know how many fandoms i was in. (better off not talking bout some...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Way too many to count. But the most major ones have been Ace Attorney, League of Legends, Persona, Vocaloid, Digimon, Tamagotchi (obviously), Pokemon, Zero Escape, Homestuck, Undertale, Monster High... I feel like I'm missing something.

When I get into something, I get into it HARD. I grew up super poor, so I think now that i can actually afford stuff as an adult, I tend to swing a little too hard when I get into new things. The thing for me is that I'm a fan of things, but I generally don't get deep into a fandom, because that's where you start running into apologists that defend things even if they're objectively terrible, or can't accept when stuff changes. Honestly, as far as associating with other fans go, Tamas and anime are probably the deepest I've ever gotten. As far as actually collecting, I mean... I have an entire room in my house for my Transformer collection, so there's that. XD

And for me, my main 'fandom' goes beyond a single franchise because I like mecha. I love big robots, and so I take a little from everything, diving DEEP into the things that REALLY grab me, such as Transformers, Mugenbine, and Gundam.

I guess I'm a little funny about this sort of thing as, similar to Hoky, I like things but don't really participate in fandoms (probably because I don't use social media). The only real fandom I qualify for is Tamagotchis as practically everything else - be it dolls, animanga, video games, books - I take the solitary route for. I do like looking at fanworks (largely confined to fanart as I no longer read fanfiction) but I will hardly go three days straight looking at it. Fandoms really seem to be an online extension of a club for similar enthusiasts, which seems to result in both social benefits and problems. I could imagine myself reading a blog focusing on a certain fandom or perhaps writing one myself (I briefly considered making an animanga blog); however, I'm more interest in entirely creative subjects, so I rarely stray from crafting blogs.

I don't really get into fandoms, but I'm a huge fan of Pokemon, Steven Universe, Animal Crossing, Blythe-style dolls, Tamagotchis, I can't think of it all, but I think that's the main stuff.

I have BPD and Bipolar Disorder, so when I get manic and get into something i get REALLY into it for about a week or two, then I'm good for a couple months. lmao

The fist fandom I was part of was the Furry fandom. I'm not a die-hard fan of it anymore, and I don't really

engage myself into it, anymore.

I accessed them through the Amino app and have joined Photography, Art, Tamagotchi Amino, and Furry Aminno.

I'm thinking about getting rid of the app altogether, however. I'm liking Insta for my art and TamaTalk for my Tamagotchi.

But, yeah, I think Furry and Tamagotchi only count as fandoms.

I like Tamagotchi more than Furry, though. :wub: Kinda outgrew Furry. I just liked the bird stuff. I love birds.

Oh yeah, I like Devilman in general too (though honestly manga more than Crybaby, but I mean, it is good too). It really was a very chill fandom before Crybaby happened and it actually got popular in the west, which is a shame.

And I completely forgot western cartoons. I used to really love Steven Universe, now I still watch it but I am more critical about it. I also watch OK, KO! Let's be heroes!, but honestly I find it kind of stupid, I'm only here for Professor Venomous and Lord Boxman.

I was also briefly into Vampire Chronicles.

And guess I'm... kind of a Marvel fan? A lot of Marvel cartoons were my childhood, though I haven't read the comics much, and I watch almost every movie from the MCU but somehow I really don't like the fandom.

That being said, I don't really... interact with fandoms much either. I don't read fanfiction and I have to be REALLY into something to actively look for fanart for it, I usually just follow one or two people on Tumblr that post that particular thing. But not too often.

Either way I always end up liking characters nobody does fanarts of so, lol.

I also when I get into something, I get into it HARD, which can really suck when you have literally nobody to talk about that thing with.

Like Hoky and Knighttchi's Ballad (is it ok if I call you KB? ^_^ ), I'm into a LOT of things, but don't actively participate in most fandoms because people on the Internet can be rude, elitist, cringey, or all of the above. Heck, people can be that way in person - I've been to some pretty hideous fan gatherings. And like you said, Raichuu, there are darker sides to every fandom and I try to avoid those as best I can, because...ick o_o;

The only fandoms I participate in actively are Tamagotchi, Splatoon, Elder Scrolls, and the Soulsborne games...but I'm also WAY into Game of Thrones, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, "spooky" or mythical type dolls (Monster High, Enchantimals, etc.) and a loooot more :p

I'm autistic, so I need an outlet to share my interests and hobbies (read: ramble on and on about them to most people's displeasure), but I do that in person rather than within fandoms. Thankfully Mr. Yatagarasu and my best friends are all autistic themselves or have autistic siblings, so they're more than happy to listen.

(is it ok if I call you KB? ^_^ )
Yep, KB's fine. I call myself that sometimes (along with my other pseudonyms) :wacko:

Its interesting that quite a few of us don't go very deep into fandoms. Before I thought practically everybody did, as if at some time they would be scrolling deeper and deeper into some fanatical gathering.

I kinda explained it already when I said I go the solitary route, though in more detail I really keep a "diary" of my thoughts. I suppose if I posted this online and talked a little with other fans I would technically be part of a fandom, but I really feel only I can appreciate it. Even my personal animanga reviews don't even bother anymore with a synopsis because only an outsider would appreciate that. Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if someone is weirded out by all the detail I put into those reviews, but then diaries are supposed to be detailed. In many ways what I'm doing is what other people do but publicly, except I'll never face offending anyone but myself (snort), nor any sort of connection (a mixed blessing).

just a few years ago, i hopped from one popular fandom onto another. like more of a social thing.

i was more interested in the fandom produced content than the shows/franchises themselves. the appeal ranged from really good memes to really good.. uh.. doujins.

with the stuff where i actually love the thing a lot, its different, though i usually still participate in the fandom in one way or another.

still a homestuck in 2018 btw

To me the most annoying part of the Devilman fandom are the people who try to make the relationship between Ryo and Akira as something super problematic you're not allowed to like (and believe me, I'm a kind of a person who is sensitive towards this kind of thing normally, I don't like abusive relationships even in media) or the part who just denies that they are romantically involved at all, even though the mangaka himself keeps saying that Devilman is a love story. I just feel like it was fine and chill when there was just the manga and ovas, people were aware of the bad sides of the story and still enjoyed it, and now it's all debates that were already settled years ago.

To me the most annoying part of the Devilman fandom are the people who try to make the relationship between Ryo and Akira [...]
Ahh, a shipwar. Personally, I don't know why people get so fanatical about romantic pairings, canonical or not. It's not like people can't make fanart, fanfiction, etc. if something isn't wholly one way in the canon, or if the relationship of two characters will really change someone's life. Most of the time this kind of stuff seems like people are fighting over what they want a story to be because they have become so enmeshed in a fictional world it has become a second reality. And because of this mentality, any other view of something appears to be saying, "your world isn't real". In conjunction with people having way too personal relationships with fictional characters, defending a character from criticism is practically the same as defending one's friends - which I know firsthand how extreme that can get. I suppose in a nutshell the main problem is the side effects of obsession, and I suppose secondly that the problem is immaturity (since most of these people are young enough to get wrapped up in things and have enough free time to continue).

It's not really a ship war (unless they throw Miki into this, then it is, but I didn't mention that.) I know what you mean but in case of Devilman it isn't that really. It's people critiquing their relationship and missing the point of it. They make it seem like Ryo only wanted to torture Akira when he really wanted to save him and had good reasons to do all the things he did. And how neither Akira or Ryo are in the right. And I don't think critiquing fictional relationships is something bad honestly. Sometimes fictional relationships can really change the way we look at relationships in real life, not just as individuals but also as a community. So I don't shrug issues like that off. But it's frustrating to see so many people miss the whole point.

I also personally don't consider pairings that are canon "ships".

I don't think this is a place to discuss the relationship between Akira and Ryo because we're already being quite off-topic, but their relationship is definitely something you have to -understand-, and possibly indulge in other resources, like the manga and other series (one of them is... way more hardcore than crybaby when it comes to its content, and even its biggest fans don't reccomend reading it. So there's that. But it has some good points in it). But the whole point of Devilman in general that Ryo isn't the villain, and that he is just trying his best to save those he loves, even if his ways aren't the best.

On the subject of Fandoms, some of my coworkers and I were talking about how fandom loyalty kinda confuses us. Someone at our work who is a diehard Potter fan refuses to read other fantasy, and we just don't get that. Like, take me for example: I love all mecha, and I love all virtual pets. Do I lean more towards Transformers and Tamagotchi respectively? Sure! But like... variety is the spice of life! I don't get that, but then, I think I don't draw as much self from fandoms?

I think, for me, fandom is more the amount of time and knowledge I invest in a subject, but the fandoms themselves don't define me, where a lot of people that's EXACTLY what happens. My love of mecha and virtual pets is an aspect of my personality, but that's not who I am. I'm a writer, and the head of a Quality Assurance team, and a husband, and tall, and genetically 4% Neanderthal. I'm NOT just a transformers fan or a tama fan. It's more like... those are the clothes I wear. Does that make sense? Are we on topic again? XD

I think it makes sense, and it's a healthy way to be to be honest. I'm a huge fan of a lot of things but hardcore fans scare me... I can understand if it's their special interest (I have special interests too- it's an autism thing) but otherwise some people need to learn to chill. It's good to give everything a chance.

I think the biggest example of this are Pokemon fans above all else. Not only are they clinging onto the gen they remember from their childhood and claim it's the best one, but they're also always VERY against other monster-collecting games... Especially Digimon (doesn't help how the English dub really made it seem like it's trying to compete with Pokemon, when it really didn't) but also Yokai Watch, not understanding that these kinda games were a genre even way before Pokemon.

Sadly, while I try to not be a hardcore fan of anything, at the same time I've been finding it hard to define myself outside of my fandoms. A lot of my mental issues have sucked out my personality and passions I used to have, so now... I really don't have anything to talk about with anyone outside of media I enjoy, which is kind of sad.

I'm in quite a few fandoms, but the main ones I'm active in are Pokémon, Undertale (I try to avoid the darker side as best as I can...), Animal Crossing, Harry Potter, Tamagotchi (of course), and Furry fandoms. There are other things that I'm into, I just don't consider myself a big enough fan of them to be part of their fandom. I tend to jump around between them too.

I've been in various fandoms but nowadays I wouldn't want to tell people that I'm in a fandom. I'm a fan of certain franchises, but don't consider myself a member of fandoms anymore. It sounds weird and I wouldn't want to associate myself with the entire huge group of people just because I enjoy similar things.

I honestly wouldn't even consider myself part of the Tamagotchi fandom. I like Tamagotchis, but fandoms are, in my opinion, creepy hiveminds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back