Help with identification

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iza

Reaction score
I saw two ads on ebay with a similar vpet, looks like some kind of duck/chicken. In one of them ot comes with a gyaoppi, in a really good price. Has anybody seen them?

Thanks ^^

23hot52.png

20jqs1f.png

I'm doing further research at the moment, but this looks like both of them do, and this looks like a japanese version perhaps? It came up when I searched "Piyo Digital Pet", it says Piyo Piyo Man in the item title. I'll keep looking into it though, this is fun, haha

EDIT: I actually think these are two different toys, the Bird Chic and the Tomin Piyo Piyo Man. I'll keep investigating but! Hm! Interesting, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a "gyaoppi?" :eek:
Gyaoppi (pronounced like "Gyow-pee") is one of the families of 1990s virtual pets. As Eggiweg's link alludes to, the Gyaoppi programming was used in various different virtual pets that were sold under various different names.

The original was a dinosaur, and then came other variations, such as birds, dogs, and so on.

I own a Super Gyaoppi 9 in 1, myself. It offers the options of alien, cat, chicken, dinosaur, dog, duck, frog, panda, and penguin, and it's one of my favourite virtual pets.

Not all Gyaoppi-based pets are the same, though, and not all of them are good - some alter the programming in ways that make them less fun to raise by introducing bugs or by making things too unreasonable, or separate out features and meters so as to make it look like the pet has more functions than it really does. (I own two of these - Chuppi, and Penpy. They are awful. Avoid.)

Good Gyaoppi-based pets are well worth your time, though. :tarakotchi:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Iza
I did a small research on the gyaoppi chicks and didn't like them so I ended up not bidding for that.
I'm curious, now: What didn't you like about them? :huh:

Are you going to consider other Gyaoppi virtual pets in the future?

I'm curious, now: What didn't you like about them? :huh:

Are you going to consider other Gyaoppi virtual pets in the future?
Hmm mostly because of the animations. I don't like it when the character changes in the same generic chicken/blob for all the evolution stages, when it eats or plays.

I don't like it when the character changes in the same generic chicken/blob for all the evolution stages, when it eats or plays.
I'm not a big fan of that either, I must admit. And it's true that this is generally a thing with Gyaoppi-based pets - there are only two forms for feeding for all of the options on the Super Gyaoppi 9 in 1, for example.

That said, they're a lot of fun to raise, and have a lot of possible transformations, so I tend to make an exception in their case - it feels to me like they sacrificed a little bit of detail for feeding/playing to allow for slightly bigger growth-charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back