I got a new Tamagotchi and went to clean it... But...

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porg

Reaction score
I've found that every… single… screw head on the inside is completely threaded/stripped! ARGH! :(

I’m quite saddened by this, as its a shell I’ve been wanting for a while (its the closest I can find for sale that replicates my original Tamagotchi- plus yellow and pink is just gorgeous! :wub: ). The seller mentioned that the buttons do not work so good in the listing (I can’t get them to respond at all), which is fair enough, but they also mentioned cleaning. Now I’ve got some stuff to do it, but how am I supposed to sort it if I can’t even get into the Tama? :(

My questions in regards to this are:

- Has anyone got any ideas on how to open it? I’m considering buying a Dremel, but I am not entirely sure on which model to go for (I’ve been googling for help on this)- given I have a few virtual pets with screws that have been damaged. Yet if I totally decimate the screw heads, will I be able to gently pull it apart? Like you can with the back plates?

- Also, does anyone know anywhere that sells replacement screws for the inner Tamagotchi? :huh: As I am guessing the ones used on the backplate may be too short? (If I am wrong about this, please let me know!).

The seller has been good and offered me the option to return it, but I want to see if there is absolutely anything I can do to save/keep it before I take up that offer. :( As I say, this is a shell I am particularly fond of- but I am not sure what to do, given I can’t play with my new little buddy :(

2MX6db0.jpg

I've removed a stripped screw from an old tama but now it doesn't look good. I just dug into the plastic with a sharp tool and a hammer, then grabbed the screw with pliers. I wouldn't recommend that method.

Eggiweg had good advice, you can also try to take it to a jeweler, maybe they can help.

Thank you so much for the replies Eggiwegg and Iza! I really appreciate them!

Eggiwegg- thank you for the links, I'm going to go and have a hunt on eBay for the 1.5x1 mm replacement screws you mentioned. I'm also going to take a look at the other links you sent me- stocking up on these doesn't sound like a bad idea to me, as a couple of my Tamas need replacement screws.

I do have some screw grab- I used it on my Tama screwdriver with no luck, sadly. :( Maybe I should try a slightly larger screwdriver? Given the holes are pretty big and rounded in this. :( Screwgrab has helped me out loads with vintage Tamas in the past- its a Godsend! :wub:
I only have one place in town that will touch Tamagotchi screws. All of the jewellers either turn their noses up (as it is a 'toy') or say that they don't do that kind of thing, due to the possibility of them ruining it further. The shop I tried before with a different Tama sadly couldn't get the screw out, despite his best efforts (bless the man, he was there for ages trying and seemed genuinely sad that he couldn't help me). He was the one who suggested the Dremel.

Thank you so much for the help again, I really appreciate it! :wub:

Iza - at this rate, as long as I can replace the screws, I am considering trying most things. Its either that or I sadly get a refund. :(

Some good news and some bad!

In regards to what Jhud said, I decided to do a bit more googling and found a place just outside of town. So, I decided it wouldn't hurt to try there and I took my original Tamagotchi (not the one from eBay), as it had a damaged screw on the back plate. The people that ran the place were absolutely lovely and very helpful- he couldn't get the screw out by non-invasive means, but he did offer to drill it out. I took him up on this offer and he managed to remove the damaged screw without damaging any threads or the Tamagotchi itself. Yay! :D

However, upon getting my Tamagotchi home, I have found that its one of the ones with the slightly longer screws- which my replacements I got from JYW do not fit. :( :huh: I also pulled out the backing screws of another Tamagotchi (not the one in the photo) to look compare the length and they are also quite a bit longer!

So... I am going to have a look for the 1.5 mm screws mentioned above on eBay, as well as order a selection of watch/eyeglass ( I think they are called called?) screws from eBay and my local watch repairs shop. Other than that... I really don't know what to do. :( I mailed JYW and they say that they rarely encounter the longer screws, however, I have quite a few now in my collection with them. :huh: So I am looking to replace two different types of screw. I'm honestly wondering about a refund in regards to the original Tamagotchi, given I'm not sure I will be able to find screws long enough to hold the insides together. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back