Why So Much hate for LPS Tamas?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KidRetro64

Reaction score
Ok so I just got a LPS (Littlest Pet Shop as some of you may know) Tamagotchi last night, and as soon as I googled LPS Tamagotchi, a bunch of stuff came up like LPS tamas are stupid or like LPS fake tamas suck.

Now before a BUNCH OF YOU go crazy in the comments telling me Theyre not fakes there just cousins to tamas! And stuff like that, Im already aware so I do not need a reminder. (This happens quite a lot in my fake tamagotchi post)

I feel like the LPS Tamas are so much more hated than other VPets! Why? Whats so bad about them?

And why are they so cheap and so many on eBay for sale?

Maybe it's the search term you're using? "LPS tamagotchi" kind of implies that they're looking for a tamagotchi-like experience and were disappointed, not to mention they were produced while tamagotchi still had the monopoly on the virtual pet market and hence were the gold standard to which virtual pets were compared to. Try searching "LPS virtual pet" instead.

Maybe it's the search term you're using? "LPS tamagotchi" kind of implies that they're looking for a tamagotchi-like experience and were disappointed, not to mention they were produced while tamagotchi still had the monopoly on the virtual pet market and hence were the gold standard to which virtual pets were compared to. Try searching "LPS virtual pet" instead.
Ok the search results seem less violent, but still, everyone seems to look down on them as a VPet. Why?

Ok so I just got a LPS (Littlest Pet Shop as some of you may know) Tamagotchi last night,
Congratulations on the new addition to your collection! :D

and as soon as I googled LPS Tamagotchi, a bunch of stuff came up like LPS tamas are stupid or like LPS fake tamas suck.
Stuff like that is an unfortunate side-effect of poor education about the differences between fakes, generic items, and competing products.

The other part of it is just a side-effect of fanboyism, though - I'm sure that we've all come across numerous old sites and postings where people decried competing virtual pets just because they weren't made by Bandai. :lol:

Now before a BUNCH OF YOU go crazy in the comments telling me Theyre not fakes there just cousins to tamas! And stuff like that, Im already aware so I do not need a reminder. (This happens quite a lot in my fake tamagotchi post)
This is part of the problem with people calling non-fakes fakes - it creates confusion for those who are trying to search for information about a particular virtual pet.

Now that you've fallen foul of it, it should be clear why it's worth putting in the effort to ensure clarity when writing about the subject of fakes. ;)

I feel like the LPS Tamas are so much more hated than other VPets! Why? Whats so bad about them?

And why are they so cheap and so many on eBay for sale?
I don't have one myself, but I did look into them at one point. What I found is that they don't seem to be bad, but that they're more game-like and less virtual pet-like than they appear to be - from what I could tell, they're more about searching for items than raising a virtual animal (this being why I passed on getting one).

I've seen people praise them for what they are. I would imagine that the complaints just stem from people expecting them to be like a more "standard" virtual pet.

This and the lower brand-recognition for Littlest Pet Shop in the electronics space is probably why they're cheap on eBay. After all, Littlest Pet Shop is better known for its tiny-sized animal figures, and possibly for its 1995 animated TV series, than it is for virtual pets.

I have to second this. Tamagotchi is the brand for Bandai's virtual pets, and not a generic term - it's not really going to generate useful search results in cases like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're nothing like a tamagotchi or most virtual pets, that's why.

There's no evolution or death, feeding, cleaning up and grooming them is purely cosmetic. You mostly walk around town, play some games, and connect with others to collect stamps.

I guess people who wanted a Tamagotchi back when they were big but got an LPS were simply disappointed.

I had one when I was small and I played with it only for 5 minutes.

Plus you can't turn the sound off, they're quite loud.

They're just... not great virtual pets, but what they are? They're okay.

I also don't like when people use "tamagotchi" as a generic term, when it's a brand name.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're nothing like a tamagotchi or most virtual pets, that's why.There's no evolution or death, feeding, cleaning up and grooming them is purely cosmetic. You mostly walk around town, play some games, and connect with others to collect stamps.

I guess people who wanted a Tamagotchi back when they were big but got an LPS were simply disappointed.

I had one when I was small and I played with it only for 5 minutes.

Plus you can't turn the sound off, they're quite loud.

They're just... not great virtual pets, but what they are? They're okay.

I also don't like when people use "tamagotchi" as a generic term, when it's a brand name.
What? So do I need another one of these to actually play it? And it’s not a vpet? Oh right ok. That’s wired!

No, you don't need another one, I don't think collecting the stamps does much.

Yeah, it's not really a "vpet" in a tamagotchi sense. It's still a pet and is virtual, but... it's still more of a game than anything you're "raising". You're stuck with one pet forever, it doesn't "hatch" or grow up at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back