B+W vs Coloured Tamas?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamagotchirocks

Reaction score
Hey all,

If I'm being honest, I was into tamagotchi's approximately 4 years ago. A couple days ago, I've inserted batteries on two tamas, but I don't find myself enjoying them anymore. (yikes, I feel like an outsider on this forum now >.<) Maybe I've grown up? Moved on? I don't know. The game play just seems pretty repetitive to me.

But I've always wanted a coloured tama because of the cool features. I've only ever had the original tama, Tama-Go and Friends. Recently, I've been interested in the tamagotchi m!x, and I've been meaning to get one for the past week :)

Thus, I was wondering, are coloured tamas (m!x in particular) very different from the b+w ones I have? I just don't want to spend so much on one, only for me to shelter away my m!x for the next 4 years again haha.

What are your opinions on this, if any? Do you think the m!x could outweigh the ones I have in particular, in terms of gameplay and features?

Last edited by a moderator:
They are pretty different, to say the least. The core features are the same, but there are features that are exclusive to them.

It's hard to say which one is "better". It really depends on what you like. M!X is actually one of the simpler colors in a way that it doesn't have too many extra features. The most key one is the genetic mixing, and there is a different way to find a partner than in previous versions.

There are so many versions it would be hard to break their features down honestly, I recommend reading about each version on the tamagotchi wiki.

I find the m!x gets repetitive, and it's more like a waiting game to see the results of mixing. If you want something with more gameplay, a tamagotchi P would be the best option, especially with an IRDA phone. I would also recommend an IDL.

I find the m!x gets repetitive, and it's more like a waiting game to see the results of mixing. If you want something with more gameplay, a tamagotchi P would be the best option, especially with an IRDA phone. I would also recommend an IDL.
P's! P's is the full name, not a plural.

I would also recommend an iD L. These don't get too expensive compared to other color versions (at least when they're used) and are quite good.

Oh man I can relate so much. I can't stay into tama's for a long period of time anymore, and feel like I HAVE to run a colour version to enjoy it.

Definitely give an IDL a go, they are good fun for the price range.

I have tried to get into the color Tamas, I've got an IDL and a 4U, but I can't for the life of me enjoy them as much as I do the black and white ones. I don't know what it is about the colors but I have them up and running for about a week or two and they get left behind, while I've been running a couple different black and whites for nearly a year! (My longest current running is actually a Friends Dream Town haha.)

Maybe it's because they're in Japanese? Maybe I just enjoy the simplicity of older gens? I keep trying to love the color ones but I don't know what's holding me back!

You should get some Japanese connections (which are nothing like English connections, so you won't be getting any doubles, unless it's a V1 or v5) to see if it's because they're Japanese.

That said, even most hardcore Color version fans aren't fans of the 4U. It was just a bad cash grab. I think you would enjoy a +C or a P's if you ever had a chance! But I feel you, while I personally like color versions I always have less patience for them than for the B+W tamas.

The Mix versions are actually quite entertaining and if you have a few different models you can mix characters that you generally wouldn't have been able to before, like say Hello Kitty and Mametchi...you get the idea :) I love waiting to see what the next line of adults will look like too. My favorite version so far is the Dream Mix due to the cuteness factor. My close second would totally be the P's because I have them patched to English. They are quite involved and with all of the little extra pierces you can buy to expand the game further just make it all that much better. It is however hard to find them affordable, but not impossible if you have some patience. I've collected a handful of pierces to go with my pair and don't regret it. It's even more fun when you have someone to play along with. Whenever my niece comes over I pull them out and start them up again because she loves to play along.

The original and color models are somewhat repetitive in nature as you're taking care, feeding etc. However with the color ones, it is more labor intensive as there are places to go, characters to meet and the meters take a little more work to complete. I've tried the P's, 4U+, and Mix so far of the color versions.

I agree with Eggiweg that the Mix will eventually get repetitive since there really isn't anything worth doing except to breed and see the results after 3 days then immediately breed it again. The minigames eventually become muscle memory since they don't vary much in between sets and just raising tamas to adults are better at getting points. Also the points you earn have very little value besides dressing up your Tama and room, since the toys really have very little effect on happiness compared to candy, and it's not hard to just use the original building blocks to befriend characters. Buying food and candy is kind of pointless too since the onigiri and lolipop work just as well for free.

Then again, I'm still having fun with it 4 weeks in since I'm a working adult and really only check in a couple times a day to clean the poopers, feed it a bit, push it to play with characters, then breed it once it hits adulthood, so I'm far from getting burned out. Would quickly bore a child with lots of free time on their hands though.

I actually enjoy both color and b&w tamas equally, depending on which version I want to run. I do like the fact that color tamas are backlit so they can be seen when it's dark. I'm not buying any more color ones though, since the prices are so astronomically high now. I'm collecting older pets that are becoming more scarce as time goes on that I can get for a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back