What do you collect? Show it off!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I don't have any pictures unfortunately, but I like to collect foreign money and plush toys.
The plush toys one is a bit more specific as its only certain characters that I want a plush of. so far my fave one is a white Glaceon

I collect assignments.

paperless_office.jpg

When I started talking with my father about collections, I had the startling realization that I have collected allot of things throughout my life. First it was rocks, specifically the ones that glistened in some way. I even got my father to take me to a park with a beach just so I could collect more interesting rocks. I filled my fancy leather bag with rocks - it was the biggest bag I had back then - and then came home and cleaned them. I was pretty young back then and I still have a big bin of rocks.

And while I'm still on rocks, let me mention a childhood "tragedy". When K. B. was barely out of kindergarten - a place her homeschooled-self would never see - she was playing with a bunch of wooden blocks in the living room. Brother Ballad (who was not much older) was spinning in a desk chair across the room. Up jumped K.B., block in hand, and she chucked that block straight at her brother's head (I learned at a recent wedding my father had done the same thing to one of his brother, but with a chair). She threw it not in anger but in humor (so did Papa Ballad) and it missed (the chair too) - thank God! Brother Ballad told Papa Ballad that K.B. had thrown a rock not a flimsy piece of wood and despite K. B.'s continuous defense and pleadings, out went her innocent rock collection into the flower bed. (For some reason it never occurred to her to go pick it up again.) Brother Ballad still laughs at that and I try not to think about it, because after all these years I am still a little sore (and that was more than 10 years ago).

Rocks are cool and all - especially with some geological knowledge - but picturing a bin of rocks is all anyone will need for that. I don't collect rocks anymore but I would probably if I was in another country. They come in handy since they are nature's paperweights. Why would anyone buy a paperweight when they can go out and find a big rock for nuthin'? They come in all kinds of styles too.

At one point I started a chopstick collection when we ate out at various Asian restaurants that would always give out chopsticks. Only Papa Ballad can use them so that meant three would come home. That tapered off but Papa Ballad would still want chopsticks ever so often, so my collection has shrunk a bit. My mother also bought me a few chopsticks and most of the ones I have are the cheap, wooden kind. It served as a weak conversation topic between myself and a shy Japanese man at the ESL (I teach there, as I already know English). That quickly fizzled out when he asked me if I knew what I presume is some general brand of Japanese chopsticks. Of course I had never heard of them.

Here it is in all its peculiar glory:

lfTAQWQ.jpg

I have probably repeated this a dozen time already but I collect dolls and I have been doing so since 2013. Once I found second hand stores had dolls for around $2 each, everything snowballed. Of course, they were missing lots of things a new product would have like accessories and sometimes clothes, but that was fine with me as my main interest is making doll clothes (that has led me to have quite the fabric collection, as well as all kinds of bits and bobbles). Unfortunately, I don't quite have the time to attend them and I haven't made an outfit in months. Next to that, I also haven't perfected my display of them as quite a few are lacking stands - that's going to be a big DIY project. My room has been rearranged just to house all my dolls and I've also started an inventory. That inventory is far from complete being currently at 79 entries, which is anywhere from a half to a third of my collection (it was primarily used to keep track of their names as I like to give them names).

I've got dolls of all kinds and while most of them are dolls that can be found in any toy store, I've got a decent collection of bootleg/cheap ones (a fascination of mine), quite a few porcelain dolls (likely from the houses of old ladies who donated to second hand stores), really tiny ones, and a handful of pricey collector dolls. My interest runs so deep that I intend to eventually create a blog about my doll collection, like so many other people have done (fun fact: Bonjour Blythe is a blog that is dedicated equal parts to Tamagotchis and dolls, and it just recently started updating again, whoo!).

As it isn't quite in a presentable state, the pictures here aren't so spectacular (and part of it is my laziness). Also, they were taken on my 2DS's camera, which works better for closeup things than vast things. Also this is only a sampling but yada, yada, here are the pictures:

ABH8Ubl.jpg

x1ywJOb.jpg

The above is my Pullip (and family) collection with my two Tangkou dolls (far left). (I made the clothes of the grey-haired one, white-haired one, the two girls next to him, and the boy on the end, but this isn't a good representation).

Now besides Tamagotchis, my most recent collectible has been Shopkins, miniature anthropomorphic figures of everyday objects (kitchen appliances, vegetables, sunglasses, clothes, etc.). One of the big appeal of them is that they could easily double as good doll accessories or even little miniature objects for doll photography. Beside that, they are so cute - a cashier at Toysrus even told me so (yeah, I was clearly an adult buying toys there). My collection is all packed away but I thankfully took a group photo awhile ago. Things have expanded a bit since then and also in the picture are a few fakes I bought off ebay (they cannot compare to the real ones).

oSnPS7J.jpg

The inner row is my Hanazuki figures, a venture that obviously failed because it was so overpriced (I got these figures on a discount). There is a real glut of blind bag collectibles, as my father/Papa Ballad remarked. One of my little joys in life is making displays of Shopkins with various miniature props. I cycle it daily and put the display in front of my desk.

What's childish about snow globes? They're often pretty and rather whimsical.

Shopkins are obviously aimed at a young audience, as evident by all the silly names : Sloppy Jo Jo, Sneaky Sally, Jenni Jelly Slice, Chee Zee, Besty Butter, etc. But they are quite creative - such as Melon Minutes (a favourite of mine from season 9) being a watermelon clock - and highly, highly detailed even at such a small scale. Those two qualities make a collectible worthwhile and impressive. I like telling my father all their silly names just to see the face he makes XD I also use them as pieces for card games that make the loser put in a penny and they would also work well as game pieces in board games.

As well as collecting cuddly toys, I also make some. x3 Depending on what I'm making I may also make some cute clothes and yeah. I don't use patterns, I just do everything by eye. (I do crochet, 4mm hook) I like adding lots of small details too. If anyone wants patterns I could probably think up something (I promise it'll be a good pattern xD).

I COLLECT ROBOTS!

Well, I collect action figures. But like 90% of them are robots with a few Aliens and Predators thrown into the mix. My transformer collection OFFICIALLY started 20 years ago as of last month.

I have a room for them!

4VXi7Yvl.jpg

Here's the room. It's always in a state of half-put-together-ness because I need more shelves.

OXW6eyBl.jpg

Here's some of my oldschool G1 stuff.

yMvn1f6l.jpg

Here's Maketoys Pandinus, which is the most expensive Transformer I've ever bought. The little white guy in the lower right is Rippersnapper, the first Transformer I ever owned! (If you look through the pics, you can see I have a few different Rippersnappers because I like him so much)

eqa9vxll.jpg

Here are my Mugenbines, which are what GoBots became in Japan in the early 2000's. They're super modular, so you can combine them in as many ways as you can think of (that's actually what 'Mugenbine' means: unlimited combination!)

S0Xsr0Jl.jpg

Here's my desk at work, too. This is an old pic. It has way more robots on it now. >> The blue one in the bottom left can only be purchased at a Universal Studios theme park (well... or their website), and it was 90% of the reason I went to Universal. XD

:edit: Fixed the picture sizes

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a lot of different things I collected when I was younger, but I've gotten rid of most of them as I've gotten older (I only kept my absolute favorites from each collection).

First, I collected a lot of Littlest Pet Shops from as far back as I can remember until I was around 11 years old. Not much to say about this particular collection because I had just accumulated a bunch over the years until I got bored of them and threw them out. :p

Second, I collected a lot of Beanie Babies when I was like 7 or 8 years old. My family and I did a lot of thrift shopping back then (we still do, but not as often) and thrift stores always had an abundance of Beanie Babies at cheap prices. I collected a lot of them, but when I was 10 I got rid of most of them because I lost interest.

Third, I collected a TON of Webkinz. My Grandma got me my first one for Christmas when I was 8 and I was obsessed with them until I was like 13. Most of my allowance and Christmas/Birthday present requests went to collecting these plushies. Also, like I mentioned before, we did a lot of thrift shopping when I was younger and during that time I found a surprising amount of Webkinz with the codes still attached and unused. I'd say that by the time I decided to get rid of most of the collection, I had about 50+ of them. Now I only have like four or five that I'm too fond of to toss out.

Now I collect Pokemon cards and I've been collecting them for about a year. Unlike my other collections, this one doesn't take up much space in my room. I think running out of space was a big factor in why I grew tired of my other collections... Well that and growing older I suppose. Currently my favorite cards are my Shiny Azumarill, Ultra Prisim Darkai, Evolutions Charizard (basically a remake of the original one), and Seedot. I got Seedot from a friend I had in the first-grade way before I was collecting cards or even into Pokemon in general, so naturally it's one of my favorites. :p

EDIT: Spelling mistakes. -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a collection of Lilo & Stitch merchandise, mainly Stitch-themed stuff. Here's a photo of the plushies (and the plastic figure) I currently own:

XNT2tqj.png

The photo doesn't have all of the stuff I have at the moment since gathering it all for one photo would be a bit of a hassle. I happened to have the plush photo on me since a person asked about it on another forum. :)

I can't exactly call it a collection since it's not permanently with me. But I like to collect memories of motorcycles I've ridden. I'd buy motorcycles, "dress" them up, ride and keep them for as long as I'm capable or interested, take pictures with them, then when the time eventually comes they either go to another owner if I can't afford it or the scrapyard if they physically don't make it. Then I print those pictures into an album and write down all the quirks I remember about them as well as the period I owned them.

Also anime figures from certain lines, atm i'm focusing on the Little Armory figma line. And coins. I like shiny bits.

That is definitely quirky about your motorcycles but also rather interesting. I think some people have done the same things with their Tamagotchis, although usually in a solely literary manor and often as a memorial.

Yea, I definitely would have loved to actually physically collect the machines themselves, but living in a flat has made it kind of impossible to store them, so photos and a history log are kind of a second best thing.

I collect and customize Breyer horses. I have nearly 300 of them, all sizes, from Mini Whinnies to Traditionals. I show in model horses shows as well, and many of my customs have won prizes. I also collect Swatch watches from the 1980s. I have about 50 of those, and still wear them.

I don't have any photos at the moment, but I've been collecting records for about 5 years now (it was pretty much what I exclusively spent money on before I started collecting tamas). I have probably 600-700 in my collection currently, which ranges from the early 60s to more modern stuff. Just like tamas, I've met so many cool people because of this hobby and I'm very happy to have built up the collection that I have.

I also have a pretty extensive record collection (about 500 albums and 45s.). I don't add to it any more though. I buy mainly CDs now. Mine is mainly 60s, 70s, and 80s rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back