Should I buy Japanese Tamagotchi?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditto

Reaction score
Hi,

I would be in Japan in November, in Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo. Can you answer these questions:

1) Should I buy a Japanese Tamagotchi (Tamagotchi Mix) or just order an English one (Tamagotchi Friends)? Will there be any issues for me understanding the Japanese Tamagotchi as I do not speak Japanese? I would prefer the Mix as it has a color screen and the Mix breeding.

2) Where do I find modern Tamagotchis in Japan?

Thank you!

1) You don't really need to know Japanese to play it for fun. I can read, albeit limited to hiragana and katakana and extremely slowly (pre-school level). It helps but unnecessary since once you memorize the menus with the help of many online guides you pretty much scroll through everything on autopilot. There is some dialogue in them, but they tend to be really simple things like "Let's play with this toy together." or something similar, so nothing terribly important to read and if you really wanted to you could just use your phone and take a few pictures as the dialogue scrolled through (pretty slowly so you have time) so you can translate it on Google later.

2) You can get them at any Kiddy Land store in Japan. They're like the Toys 'r' Us of Japan.

Agree with reize, you don't need to know Japanese to run a m!x, and there is such a large variation in characters.

It's worth pointing out that the Tamagotchi Meets (the successor to the M!x, which retains its features and builds upon them) is due out in Japan in November, so it may be worth considering one of those instead of a M!x.

The currently-known information about the Tamagotchi Meets can be found here.

Yeah, you don't need to know a lick of Japanese to enjoy these. It's not like you read a novel on the toy- it's all just menus, and honestly memorizing menus is fun. Once I patched my P's to english it started feeling more empty to me when I could see what everything is for some reason.

You'd be severely disappointed with the Friends.

Japan has Toys R Us (yes, international Toys R Us haven't closed) and they do sell Tamagotchi there, other than KiddyLand. Probably most toy stores carry them. But you can also order them easily online.

I think you should, it'd be a great souvenir if you like Tamagotchis, and you don't really need to know the language to know how to play the toy.

Incase you need a guide, go ahead and look at this website, it has a lot of guides on it that could be very helpful:

https://fuzzy-n-chic.com/content/7-tama-downloads-guides

You should definitely get a M!X over a Friends if you're having that debate.

Hello, I just got my m!x yesterday and let me tell you something. Throughout the first hours of playing it, I got used to the menus and where everything is pretty quick. Trust me, all you need is a little playing around with a japanese tama to figure everything out. Then everything is a piece of cake because the pictures and animations do help you out :) The only thing you are missing out on are the long conversations they have between characters (which really, I would honestly skip even if it was english >.<).

Additionally, I have both the m!x and the friends and I would recommend getting the m!x since theres so much more features, it is easier to see (the colour screen is the most updated one) and has a lot of cute animations that make it worthwhile. Plus right now, a new tamagotchi friends is almost the same price as a new m!x so why not go for that?

P.S. I also believe the new tamagotchi meets is released during that time. So if you're interested, you may want to look into that as you get closer to the date. Or, you can still stick to the m!x since maybe the stores might want to clear their stock out, so you might find them for a good price :) Plus, you can get used to the m!x faster since theres so many accumulated resources over the past two years of the release.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick note to say that I've been checking out a ton of toy stores here in Japan lately, and tamagotchis are pretty rare. The only ones I've seen on the shelf at all are the Dream varieties, and even then, out of 5 places I went to, only 1 place would have any in stock. Don't be surprised if you have a hard time locating any tamagotchis-- I expect they're just going to get rarer and rarer as bandai gets ready to launch the Meets.

Also, tamagotchi stations are being removed around the country. I called every toy store in Osaka but one, and they've all removed the tamagotchi mix stations. The official website with information about where the stations are located has also been taken down. So, even if you buy a Mix, you probably won't be able to connect to any Mix Stations.

BUT!! If you are in Japan after the "meets" launches, then you might be able to pick up one of those and use it at the new stations they're setting up!

(Oh, I've also seen plenty of Gudetama mini tamagotchis but those are different.)

This is true, I've been to the Venus Fort Kiddyland and I asked the lady about the Tamagotchis and she said there were none. And she was right, except for the Gudetama Nano which was in the sale pile. It cost only about 10$! Kind of bummed I didn't take both of the shells honestly now that I think about it.

They didn't have Station there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back