Sign in to follow this  
AnniChu

Tamagotchi for the Gameboy

I haven't seen any recent posts about this game, so I thought I'd make one! Does anyone else have this game? And if so, do you like it? Also, I haven't seen any growth charts of it at all. Does anyone know of any?

• Like 2

I don't have the game, though a relative owned it back in the day. We felt that it was a bit too fussy and over-complicated compared to the Tamagotchi toy-line, but it was at least its own experience.

I remember finding the

to be a real downer - I mean, yes, you'd expect it to be, but I've got a distant recollection that the Game Boy game was a bit in-your-face with it, as compared to the more understated nature of the regular toys, which I think is why it stuck out to me. (EDIT: In looking this up, I can see that I remembered this correctly.
shows how long the death sequence goes on for, and how the game rubs it in your face by showing the Tamagotchi's spirit being confused and upset about having died, before eventually leaving its body.)

I don't know of any growth-charts (I wasn't a big fan of it, so I've never looked into it), but if it's of any interest, The Spriters Resource has rips of the game's sprites, backgrounds, and other assets, which at least show which characters appear. :)

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 2

That death scene is quite scarring.

• Like 2

Yeah, it is! I think it says it all that that's the one thing that I remember the most about the game. :lol:

It definitely is! My friend and I were messing around with the game when I first got it, and got a black egg and named it Death. Ironically, Death died not too long after we got him. We were both really surprised at how dark the death scene was!

• Like 1

Well, AnniChu, your thread inspired me to track down and order a used copy of the game online. :lol: Thanks. :D

I think that it's time for me to give it another try!

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 1

Well, AnniChu, your thread inspired me to track down and order a used copy of the game online. :lol: Thanks. :D

I think that it's time for me to give it another try!

Oh how cool! I hope you have fun with it! ^_^

• Like 1

Oh how cool! I hope you have fun with it! ^_^

Thanks! It should be an unusual addition to my virtual pets collection, if nothing else, right? :lol:

• Like 1

My apologies for double-posting - unfortunately, I cannot edit my previous one any longer!

Anyway, I would like to introduce Bobbo, who I hatched from a star-patterned egg yesterday evening;

21gHtZS.gif

This video was taken shortly before he evolved from a Shirobabytchi into a Marutchi, because in the Tamagotchi Game Boy game, Gen 1 characters and Gen 2 characters can evolve into characters from the opposite group. ;)

I definitely appreciate this game more as an adult. Whilst it's definitely more fussy than the original toys are, as I recalled previously, it's not really in a bad way - it makes good use of what the Game Boy hardware offered over the standard Tamagotchi hardware of the time, and a lot of what is in here came to be used in many later versions of the virtual pets themselves! (I once saw Jhud mention in another thread that the colour Tamagotchis are a somewhat similar experience to the Game Boy game, and I can now see those parallels easily.)

There are even things in here - such as dying easily from too many snacks - that were implemented in the recent Gen 1 and Gen 2 remakes!

There's even a speedrun category for this game which takes advantage of this in order to compete for the shortest Tamagotchi death-time! :o

I never knew that the game doesn't run in real-time. Though I suppose that that's for the better - a real-time clock would've killed the save-battery by now, and I would've had to obtain a Gamebit in order to open up the cartridge to replace it. :P

I did remember that the game's translation is a bit iffy in places, and now that I own a copy of my own I can now also see that it's sometimes outright unhelpful. It's not terrible by any means, but sometimes a bit more information would be useful. To that end, there's one good FAQ out there, which can be found here.

Unfortunately, from the transcriptions that I've been able to find online, the manual was no better, and the game actually features some hidden meters that don't seem to be mentioned there. This page says how to enable them;

View Fear and Mine Status Indicators

Enter the status screen and then hold Down+Select. Press A to toggle the extra status indicators at the bottom-left.

Contributed By: Eevee-Trainer.

I don't know what these hidden meters do yet ("Fear" seems to be more self-explanatory than "Mine", but I haven't yet seen anything that would cause the meters to change), but that's how you reveal them. ;)

Moreover, though it is entirely non-obvious, I was eventually able to find out that the game actually does include a means to erase all save-data from a used cartridge (though not after hatching an egg to quickly check that all was well with the cartridge - sorry Fluffy!). If you want to know how to delete a save-file and start fresh, the same page as above will see you right;

Clear Game Data

At the title menu, go to the options and then to "Memory." Hold Up+Select and press A. The game will reset with all data cleared.

Contributed By: Eevee-Trainer.

So far, I'd have to say that the Tamagotchi Game Boy game is an interesting step in the evolution of the vintage-era Tamagotchis, and the line in general. There seems to be quite a lot in here that we still see in the toy-line today, and which set the direction for how things would go during the Connection era and beyond.

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 1