So you've been collecting Tamagotchis for how long now...?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soenattchi

Reaction score
So, today my -younger by nine years no less- brother asked me the age-old question... "You're STILL collecting tamagotchis?" and keep in mind that wasn't said with the intention of "you're too old for collecting them" but rather "how many years have you been collecting them for again?" (yeah, Greek is a weird language). And I sit there thinking... wow. I'm... twenty eight years old. I was seven when I got my first P1, fourteen when I bought my first Connexion with my own allowance. And yes, I've been very frugal so my collection is but a very small one (yet all my tamas are dearly beloved) but I have been at it for over TWENTY YEARS? Although if one is to consider when I "consciously" began collecting them it would be fourteen... but this doesn't sound nearly as nice and round.

So my question to you today is... how long have you been playing with tamagotchis? When did you start? What was your first tama? Discuss!

My first was a v3, since those were the first Bandai tamagotchis that we had in Poland. I was in third grade of elementary at the time, I think. Was that 2006? Not sure. If it was, then it would be at least 12 years of collecting by now!

Hey, we're the same age! :3

I got my first one when they first came out in the 90's, so I was about eight years old, and I also had the first Pokemon Pikachu, the gigapets floppy frog, and the Nano Puppy Family. They are all long gone. I got one of the newer Gigapets around 2005, which is also long gone. I've always been fascinated by them. A friend got me the MelodyLand P's in 2015, iirc? I finally started collecting seriously this year. I love them so much. <3

I got started in 1997 when Tamagotchis first came to the West. I was in my early teens at the time, so it's been a really long time. :p I'm enjoying the virtual pet resurgence that's happening in the West at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first Tamagotchi was a V5 celebrity that I got for my 8th birthday in 2008. I just turned 18 this past October, so I've been collecting tamas for about a decade now! It still feels like I discovered them just a couple of years ago...

My first was a v3, since those were the first Bandai tamagotchis that we had in Poland. I was in third grade of elementary at the time, I think. Was that 2006? Not sure. If it was, then it would be at least 12 years of collecting by now!
The v3 is very dear to my heart! A friend actually got interested in Tamas after seeing mine (in our senior year of high school no less!) and we bought a pair together. We would play on them endlessly! Twelve years sounds amazing though! Keep it up!!

Hey, we're the same age! :3

I got my first one when they first came out in the 90's, so I was about eight years old, and I also had the first Pokemon Pikachu, the gigapets floppy frog, and the Nano Puppy Family. They are all long gone. I got one of the newer Gigapets around 2005, which is also long gone. I've always been fascinated by them. A friend got me the MelodyLand P's in 2015, iirc? I finally started collecting seriously this year. I love them so much. <3
Ah!!! Yess!! Hello fellow similarly-aged person! I'm always excited to meet Tama collectors in my age group :p That being said I ALSO had the Pokemon Pikachu! I adored that little one... I would take it absolutely everywhere with me, even in school! I would strap it on my shoes, hoping it would go by unnoticed so I could rack up more steps. It was literally the best thing and I have so many fond memories of it... Also I never had any gigapets, even to this day, I'm not sure why... Personally I might not be after a big collection (I'm a minimalist at heart so anything I don't use to its fullest extend usually ends up going away sooner or later) but I'm a super dedicated fan. I'm glad I didn't give these little guys up growing up because they're an invaluable part of my day and greatly help me with coping with my anxiety when it gets too much.

I got started in 1997 when Tamagotchis first came to the West. I was in my early teens at the time, so it's been a really long time. :p I'm enjoying the virtual pet resurgence that's happening in the West at the moment.
Hello fellow oldie!! I'm also really excited to see the resurgence as well! Several years ago I would have never imagined they would become a thing outside of Japan.

My first Tamagotchi was a V5 celebrity that I got for my 8th birthday in 2008. I just turned 18 this past October, so I've been collecting tamas for about a decade now! It still feels like I discovered them just a couple of years ago...
Oh V5! I still hold it against myself that I never bought the celebrity when it was in stores. It looked so interesting! I feel much like you though. The changing formula for the newer editions really helps to keep things fresh, even if some people are against it.

Oh Last year, primary 4 and five I had my fake, then gradually my friends replaced it!
Ahh! it's always good to see new faces! I hope you really enjoy growing your Tamas! I've never played the fakies so I have no idea how good these are, however I briefly had a Friends and I quite liked it!

I got a Tamagotchi Connection v2 when I was 7 years old and I'm now 21! I've only just started properly collecting them this year though - Before then I'd been just raising my Connection v2 over and over! :D

Let's just say I was an adult when tamas first came to the USA. I bought my first one at Toys R Us when I went there to get a birthday gift for a friend's child, and saw the huge display there. I bought a blue p2 with black around the screen, and yellow buttons. I went back the next week and bought a clear blue p1, a turquoise p1, a clear light blue p2, and a clear p2. I got a blue My Kitten on clearance at Hot Topic soon after. I got a kitten giga pet at KFC about 6 months later. Then nothing til 2004 when the v1 came on the scene, followed by the rest of the connection series. I really started to collect seriously around 2004-05. I bought a brand new green Santaclautch at a Goodwill in 2004 for 25 dollars. What it was doing there I have no clue, but I snatched it up right then. Then I went online and bought Japanese tamas, all different versions I wanted, and have completed my collection for the most part. So collecting since 1997 til 2018---21 years!!!

My first Tamagotchi was a Connection (V3) back in 2006, so that would've made me 7 years old at the time. I got a few more throughout my childhood, and when I moved away at 13, I left behind 3 Tamas. I got back into collecting when I turned 16, and I've been avidly collecting since! ;) I'm now 19, and I own 20 Tamagotchis. They're my babies. They get mixed reactions from others, but I take a lot of pride in them. :wub: I stand firm in my belief that you're never too old for Tamas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back