hwd45

ROM Versions

What's interesting about the "diet soda" item is that not only is the name different, it also looks different which is actually pretty cool. The earlier version has what looks like a scale in the middle while the later version just has the regular bubbles.

dietsoda.jpeg

The left one is my early wave, different item name V2. The right one is presumably from a later batch. I actually like having the quirky one in my collection because it's kind of unique, haha.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rjalda100 said:

What's interesting about the "diet soda" item is that not only is the name different, it also looks different which is actually pretty cool. The earlier version has what looks like a scale in the middle while the later version just has the regular bubbles.

dietsoda.jpeg

The left one is my early wave, different item name V2. The right one is presumably from a later batch. I actually like having the quirky one in my collection because it's kind of unique, haha.

They seem to be really rare too! I really don't know that many people that own a V2 like this.

Adding to the list of ROM versions, the Entama I received today is version 14.1. Not a CYOI Change one though, just a regular Entama.

2 hours ago, hwd45 said:

They seem to be really rare too! I really don't know that many people that own a V2 like this.

Adding to the list of ROM versions, the Entama I received today is version 14.1. Not a CYOI Change one though, just a regular Entama.

Would you like me to ROM test my "Haneru no Tobira" tamas? 

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one fascinated by early versions and builds of things. This is really refreshing. Thought I was weird for that interest. TCRF is the best website

Edited by Kuchipetchi
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Kuchipetchi said:

Would you like me to ROM test my "Haneru no Tobira" tamas? 

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one fascinated by early versions and builds of things. This is really refreshing. Thought I was weird for that interest. TCRF is the best website

If you wouldn't mind ROM Testing it then I'd be really interested in seeing the results! Keep in mind that you'll lose all your progress though.

4 hours ago, hwd45 said:

If you wouldn't mind ROM Testing it then I'd be really interested in seeing the results! Keep in mind that you'll lose all your progress though.

it doesnt look like i can do it, my version is the haneru no tobira entama, its not working.

22 minutes ago, Kuchipetchi said:

it doesnt look like i can do it, my version is the haneru no tobira entama, its not working.

It took me a few attempts tbh, it's pretty tricky. Just make sure you're holding down all three buttons for a little while before and after pressing reset, and it should bring up a black screen. Press A, B, C and then A again and it should bring up the version number.

19 hours ago, Kuchipetchi said:

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one fascinated by early versions and builds of things. This is really refreshing. Thought I was weird for that interest.

Not at all! It's human nature to be curious about creative processes, really - that's why they examine old paintings to see what's beneath the paint, too, after all.

19 hours ago, Kuchipetchi said:

TCRF is the best website

I've lost count of how many hours I've sunk into reading random things there. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Penguin-keeper said:

Not at all! It's human nature to be curious about creative processes, really - that's why they examine old paintings to see what's beneath the paint, too, after all.

I've lost count of how many hours I've sunk into reading random things there. :lol:

I've sunk pretty deep into researching stuff from Spyro 3 to put on TCRF and I've ended up losing hundreds and hundreds of hours to it. It's just so deeply enthralling and interesting. I love being able to share the findings I come across with people, too!

Another ROM version update, courtesy of rjalda100: the Hanerutchi 1 has a ROM version of 8.0. I assume this was the only ROM version associated with this release.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it's like this for all Japanese connections, but when I ROM tested both my Keitai and Hanerutchi 1 (which is based on the Keitai's programming), holding all buttons while resetting didn't work for me. I had to hold only B and C while pressing the reset button. It might just be a quirk with the Keitai line but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rjalda100 said:

I'm not sure if it's like this for all Japanese connections, but when I ROM tested both my Keitai and Hanerutchi 1 (which is based on the Keitai's programming), holding all buttons while resetting didn't work for me. I had to hold only B and C while pressing the reset button. It might just be a quirk with the Keitai line but I'm not sure.

I feel like I've heard somewhere before that that's the case. I had a bit of trouble ROM testing my Entama too, it took a few attempts before I got what I was looking for. I guess that's something to test out.

On 1/5/2019 at 1:45 AM, Penguin-keeper said:

Sometimes it takes years for prototype toys or games to surface again after being seen at trade-shows or in other venues, but they may very well do at some point. These things certainly aren't always lost.

Absolutely true. You see it all the time in my other hobbies. Just a couple years ago, someone who used to work for hasbro came out of the blue and started putting thousands of dollars worth of unreleased Generation 2 Transformer prototypes on ebay. I'm sure if we wait long enough, we'll see those tama-gos pop up. The one tricky thing will be that they'll probably pop up on a Japanese site. XD

This is a really cool thread. I'll have to check the rom versions on my connections the next time I run 'em. :D

• Like 2

While we're on the subject of prototype Tamagotchis I thought I'd talk a little bit about the cancelled version that was to be released in 2009.

The Music Star World Tour Edition was revealed early in the year and was said to be the next iteration upon the Music Star. Planned to be released in the summer of 2009, it was assumed that the World Tour Edition would be like a "V6.5", which everyone sort of expected after the V4.5 and the V5 Celebrity.

Nothing ever came of the announcement. After the press release, Bandai went completely silent on the project's progress. It wasn't until around July that emails to Bandai were being answered with the phrase "Unfortunately, the Music Star: World Tour Edition was never produced". We never found out anything more about what this version would've included - new music genres? New characters? More online features? New items?

1947712851_Underconstruction.jpg.18868a2442026c8160ee101c130af383.jpg

We do at least have some idea of what might been planned. Firstly, Music City had featured an "under construction" area since it first released. All that was known about the area was that supposedly if you donated enough gotchi points to Prince Tamahiko, you might have the area named after you. The area was eventually released in the summer of 2010 as the immensely underwhelming "Flower Hills Park". There wasn't really anything special about the area and the donation incentive was never mentioned again. I mean, you could still donate, apparently, but it's not like it was going towards anything. It seems like a reasonable assumption to me that their original plans were more closely tied to the then-upcoming World Tour Edition, so when the version was cancelled a more generic location associated with the Tama-Go took its place.

758741872_FlowerHillsPark.jpg.b70c6fcd5ee9460255e46dc3f8fb8788.jpg

Curiously the Music Star itself provides us with additional evidence of potential features of the World Tour Edition - world tours! The Music Star has a bunch of unused ticket items - specifically an NY Ticket, a Tokyo Ticket, a London Ticket and a Sydney Ticket.

446592451_TokyoTicketLarge.png.4d036d3f6ac8ee935f7c20177a584edb.png

Here's the sprite for the Tokyo Ticket. You can actually still obtain these items by getting lucky on the item password screen (it's a lot easier than it sounds, trust me!) but there was never any method to obtain the items using the website. The items themselves aren't that exciting - they function identically to the concerts that play out during the day (so I guess it's an extra opportunity at getting trophies). It's not really very clear why these items were never intentionally made obtainable, but it seems like an obvious choice that they'd be included on WTE.

It's still a mystery just how much of the version was developed, so I can only hope we'll find out more about this elusive Tamagotchi, some day.

• Like 2

Oh man, I remember being so disappointed when World Tour Edition was cancelled.... That's very interesting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jhud said:

Oh man, I remember being so disappointed when World Tour Edition was cancelled.... That's very interesting.

Funnily enough while looking for info on the WTE to refresh my memory I found a thread we'd both commented in, lmao. We were both pretty disappointed.

good news, i was able to ROM test my Hanetobi entama. VER 18.0 and my Uratama is VER 16.0

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kuchipetchi said:

good news, i was able to ROM test my Hanetobi entama. VER 18.0 and my Uratama is VER 16.0

Thanks for the help! I wonder why all the version integers have been even so far? Maybe the odd numbers are reserved for prototype builds.

What shell designs do they have?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hwd45 said:

What shell designs do they have?

the hanetobi shell is the white and red dragon(they only came in two colors of the same shell type) my Uratama is the Pink frill design with a character and it says "ura" on top.

• Like 1