hwd45

ROM Versions

20 hours ago, Kuchipetchi said:

the hanetobi shell is the white and red dragon(they only came in two colors of the same shell type) my Uratama is the Pink frill design with a character and it says "ura" on top.

Thanks for the help! If there are any version differences between different waves then maybe we'll find them.

---

Here's the ROM version list so far, as well as any other known version differences:

Kaettekita! Tamagotchi Plus / Tamagotchi Connection / Tamagotchi Connexion (V1)

0.0: The original Japanese release.
2.0: An international release, probably European. Features a multitude of changes from the previous version.
2.1: Seems to be present in both European and Australian models, so both of those regions probably used the same ROMs. Differences in this version are unknown.
2.4: Apparently, the time during the day at which the Tamagotchi's age number increases was changed in this version.
4.0: Probably the first US release. Main differences are in the form of text changes.
4.2: Apparently, the connection feature cannot be used while the Tamagotchi is a baby on any version prior to this one. This is the version this feature was changed.

There's also a rare "GLAY Expo Edition" that probably uses another ROM version.

Keitai Kaitsuu! Tamagotchi Plus (Keitai)

The only known version is 6.1, currently.

Haneru no Tobira Tamagotchi (Hanerutchi)

The only known version is 8.0. Given that this version was a sort of spin-off and only had a single wave, I think it's likely that this is the only version.

Keitai Kaitsuu! Tamagotchi Plus Akai Series (Akai)

Currently no ROM versions are known.

Chou Jinsei Enjoi! Tamagotchi Plus (Entama)

The only version currently known is 14.1. The ROM versions of the CYOI Change models are currently unknown.

Ura Jinsei Enjoi! Tamagotchi Plus (Uratama)

16.0 is the only known version as of yet.

Haneru no Tobira Tamagotchi 2 (Hanerutchi 2)

The only known version is 18.0. Given that this version was a sort of spin-off and only had a single wave, I think it's likely that this is the only version.

Oden-Kun no Tamagotchi (Oden-Kun)

No ROM versions are currently known.

Tamagotchi Connection Version 2 / Tamagotchi Connexion Version 2 (V2)

Three versions - A.3, A.4, and A.5 - are known. The differences between them are not currently known, though it is known that some versions of the V2 featured a variety of different item names, and there are differences between the US version and international versions of the V2. Whether or not these versions correspond to one of the three known ROM versions is unclear, but it does seem to be the case so far that the first wave of V2s in the USA was split into two groups - an earlier group and a later group - where the most noticeable difference is subtle changes in how the packaging looked. The later group were the ones most seen in promotional material for the V2, and it seems as though the earlier group - what I'm calling wave 0 - was probably like an initial production run that was merged with another group of shell designs for unknown reasons (perhaps they anticipated that more people would buy the V2 than they were expecting so they expanded the lineup somewhat). It seems to be the case that some of the wave 0 models were given the earlier ROM version featuring the earlier item names.

There's also a PUMA Edition that probably uses another ROM version.

Tamagotchi Connection Version 3 / Tamagotchi Connexion Version 3 (V3)

The only known versions are A3 0 and A3 2 and their differences are unknown. A3 0 seems to be the US release so A3 2 may have been the European or Australian release.

Tamagotchi Connection Version 4 / Tamagotchi Connexion Jinsei Version 4 (V4)

A4.2 U, A4.3 E and A4.5 E are the only known versions. It seems to be the case that U models are the USA versions and E models are European. The main differences between them are probably bug fixes.

Tamagotchi Connection Version 4.5 / Tamagotchi Connexion Jinsei Plus Version 4 (V4.5)

A4.5-3E and AUV4.5-.2 are the only known versions so far. I'm not so sure about the latter one, I feel like it was probably meant to be A4.5-2U but it was written wrong. The letter at the end seems to represent exactly what it did before.

Tamagotchi Connection Version 5 / Tamagotchi Connexion Familitchi / Family Iro Iro! Tamagotchi Plus (V5)

34.1 is the only known version so far, and it corresponds to a European model. This was the first international model to receive a release in Japan since the V1, so there's a number of different versions of the V5. Main differences include language changes and changes to the Unchi-Kun item.

Tamagotchi Connection Version 5 Celebrity / Yume no Royal Family Tamagotchi Plus (V5.5)

No known ROM versions yet. The English version apparently had two more games than the Japanese version, though, and some of the parent characters changed between versions.

Tamagotchi Music Star (V6)

6.0 00 32.0 0 and 6.0 01 32.0 0 are the currently known versions. The latter was a wave 2 model, so they probably correspond to the two waves of the Music Star. Region functionality seems to be separate from version numbering, now (the ROM test screen lists the region separately). Known differences between versions include changes to how much money is passed down each generation (if I recall correctly, no money is immediately passed down upon starting a new generation on the original models, whereas half the money is passed down on the first generation only on the wave 2 models) and also changes to how expensive the Wild Guitar item is (from 100,000,000 points to 40,000,000).

Tamatown Tama-Go (V7)

7.0 01 32.0 is the only known version.

Tamagotchi Friends (V8)

8.0 00 is the only known ROM version, though it's known that international releases of the V8 featured different games to the US version. There's rumours of a Russian language version, too.

Tamagotchi Friends: Dream Town Digital Friend (V9)

No ROM versions are known yet.

I think this covers everything so far! It should also give us an idea of where to look for more information.

Edited by hwd45
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2019 at 2:55 PM, rjalda100 said:

What's interesting about the "diet soda" item is that not only is the name different, it also looks different which is actually pretty cool. The earlier version has what looks like a scale in the middle while the later version just has the regular bubbles.

dietsoda.jpeg

The left one is my early wave, different item name V2. The right one is presumably from a later batch. I actually like having the quirky one in my collection because it's kind of unique, haha.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:15 PM, hwd45 said:

They seem to be really rare too! I really don't know that many people that own a V2 like this.

I may have found where the diet soda came from. This item on the keitai called "diet pills" this was the Japanese equivalent to the v2. 

IMG_20190119_143334.jpg

• Like 2

Oh that's very interesting! That further proves my theory that the V2 I have is from a very early wave (I haven't seen too many V2s out there like mine, so the batch with the different names must have been pretty limited) .That item must have been directly translated from the Keitai, and I do wonder why it was changed in the later, more widespread release. Either way, it's quite cool.

Anyway, I was able to ROM test my CYOI Entama (the character on it was already dead, so no tamas were harmed in the process):

cyoi.jpeg

It's ver. 14.5. I'm assuming that's the only ROM version for the CYOI since it only had one wave and three shells.

Edited by rjalda100
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, rjalda100 said:

That item must have been directly translated from the Keitai, and I do wonder why it was changed in the later, more widespread release.

My best guess here would be that someone figured that "Diet Pills" probably wasn't the best idea for an item-name on something aimed at kids. :P

Edited by Penguin-keeper

3 hours ago, rjalda100 said:

Oh that's very interesting! That further proves my theory that the V2 I have is from a very early wave (I haven't seen too many V2s out there like mine, so the batch with the different names must have been pretty limited) .That item must have been directly translated from the Keitai, and I do wonder why it was changed in the later, more widespread release. Either way, it's quite cool.

Anyway, I was able to ROM test my CYOI Entama (the character on it was already dead, so no tamas were harmed in the process):

cyoi.jpeg

It's ver. 14.5. I'm assuming that's the only ROM version for the CYOI since it only had one wave and three shells.

Woah! We're really filling in the gaps in our data now. I wonder if there were any versions between 14.1 and 14.5?

• Like 1

One more ROM version confirmed: the Oden-Kun uses version 0.2.

Little bit surprised, really. So far the Japanese versions have been going upwards in a mostly linear fashion (0.0, 6.1, 8.0, 14.1, 14.5, 16.0, 18.0), so I wonder why they started so low for this version? I assume it's because it was such a dramatic departure from the previous Entama versions that they felt it necessary to start from 0. But why 0.2?

I think I'm probably gonna start doing some more research into the V1 if possible. I really want to figure out what the differences between all those different versions are! If you've got a V1 and you know its ROM version you could be of a lot of help to me - there's a bunch of differences I wanna check.

---

Did you know? The Tama-Go has a whole bunch of unused characters.

If you go back to threads from 2010, you might find people talking about characters appearing on their Tama-Go that weren't raiseable. If the figure is incorrectly placed on top - for example by putting on the figure, quickly taking it off and switching it out for another one, the data corrupts and you start seeing sprites that you're not supposed to see. As it turns out, a lot of those sprites are of characters other than the ones normally obtainable wearing the items of clothing that some of the figures offer.

wOBY2zJ.png

When Natalie Silvanovich dumped the Tama-Go's ROM as well as a few of the figure ROMs, it was discovered that the Tama-Go contains a full set of animation sprites for 18 unobtainable characters, on top of the 36 normal characters and Nazotchi. Every figure contains all the sprites necessary for these characters to use the features of the figure. The characters are as follows:

IJc7vkX.png Pachikutchi

1vCuv3o.png Pichikutchi

2bvphru.pngHanepatchi

idAfSuh.pngSakuramotchi

bL1PRee.pngObotchi

Al3Gqaa.pngOjyotchi

JcIIYm1.pngSukatchi

q2torZE.pngTogetchi

DYUDVjL.pngDebatchi

vm3f5uy.pngAndrotchi

tdNdQJl.pngPaparatchi

YtJ8Ua5.pngKabukitchi

lH5Q8OI.pngMimitchi

JJ4fa7x.pngMaidtchi

ITzDmha.pngYattatchi

TzYcMgI.pngPukatchi

n10aCPI.pngMasktchi

Tl96OJi.pngPonytchi

Why are these characters even here? There's a few possibilities - first off, these could have been characters that were planned to be used but got cut. When looking for secret characters in the code of the Tama-Go, Natalie noted the following:

I suspect these got removed at some point late in development (maybe they weren’t working), because there’s a lot of situations in the evolve function where a condition branches to the same function regardless of what it evaluates to, which seems like a ‘quick fix’ to remove characters.

So, there's some evidence in the code that maybe these characters were used at some point but cut from the growth chart. As far as I know though, the characters are not raiseable via debug mode - unlike every other character, none of their character names are contained in the sprite set. Even Nazotchi's name has its own sprite.

jMfkLRw.png

In fact, this sprite is duplicated for some reason. Maybe if the unused characters are accessed they use the duplicate Nazotchi label?

On the other hand, the characters could have been planned to be on a "Tama-Go 2", or a V7.5. Including the sprite sheets in the Tama-Go would mean it wouldn't need to use Nazotchi sprites when connecting with a future version containing these characters (though this doesn't explain why the Tama-Go contains sprites for animations that it'll never need to show, like the close-up animations).

U89bz2R.png

Furthermore, the figures could contain the sprites to future-proof them - the figures need to contain the sprites of whatever Tamagotchi character is going to be using its games and items. If it doesn't, the figure won't be compatible with that character, and by extension it probably won't be compatible with that version.

Indeed, there are even sprites in the Tama-Go which would've been used had more figures been released after the V7:

JGJxmRY.png

Apparently this would show up occasionally if the figure isn't working properly.

While looking through the sprites I found this, too, which I assume is unused:

tTPl8Wa.png

Pause-debug perhaps?

The Tama-Go continues to fascinate me with its mysteries! What thoughts do you have about why these characters might be here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got a few more ROM versions! Thanks again to the two people from the Tamagotchi Discord group who helped supply me with this information:

Oden-Kun: 0.2
Akai: 12.0
V5 (US): 32.1
one of those V3-looking Deka Tamagotchis: 11.1
one of those V4-looking Deka Tamagotchis: 1.0

Yeah, I don't know all that much about Deka Tamagotchis; I don't even know what these ones are called, lmao. But this was really cool to find out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was directed here here by penguin-keeper due to some observations i made with my assorment of v3s. One of them, my pink translucent, has a slightly lower key than the other three. That being, all of its sounds are slightly lower than the same sounds of the others. I decided to rom test all four of them, and i had some pretty interesting results!

First off, let me talk about my tamas.

pink ice cream - US version, normal sound, blue and yellow box background, "tamagotchi connection" logo with mimitchi

Green hibiscus - US version, normal sound, blue and yellow box background, "tamagotchi connection" logo with mimitchi

translucent pink - US version, lower than normal sound, pink and yellow dots background, "tamagotchi connection" logo with mimitchi

Zebra - US version region-changed to UK, normal sound, blue and yellow box background, "tamagotchi" logo with mametchi

So, I went through and rom tested all four of them. The first three are all A3 0 or A3 2, including the deep-voiced translucent pink. However, my zebra was A3 3, which is a version that's not included in the list above!

gBCsm3Gl.jpg?11WUeIcel.jpg?1boJYEfZl.jpgtQ1oXKhl.jpg

NOW, there's obviously something different about the zebra. I region changed it using a similar method to debugging (taking a pencil to the correct broken circles on the chip). When I undid the region change, however, it was back to being an A3 2!

3FX6rkV.jpg

For my next trick, I attempt to region change one of my A3 0s. I tried doing it on both of them, but even after filling in the circles, it didn't actually take. I checked, and it was still and A3 0. It might have been the way I did it (my pencil could have been sharper), but i digress.

Theory: there are four US rom versions. I've confirmed that A3 2 isn't a UK variant as theorized above, because all of mine are american, came with american chain styles and have US logos. However, A3 3 (and very likely A3 1) are region-changed variants of 0 and 2.

also, now i have even less of a theory as to why my pink sounds like that.

Edited by Pirorirotchi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Woah! Interesting stuff!

22 minutes ago, Pirorirotchi said:

Theory: there are four US rom versions. I've confirmed that A3 2 isn't a UK variant as theorized above, because all of mine are american, came with american chain styles and have US logos. However, A3 3 (and very likely A3 1) are region-changed variants of 0 and 2.

also, now i have even less of a theory as to why my pink sounds like that.

I'm not really sure why I speculated A3 2 was a European release, all the A3 2 ROMs I've seen so far have been in US versions. I guess I got a bit confused. It's interesting that your zebra shell has a different logo, it's part of the same wave as the transparent pink one.

I'm yet to see what the European ROM versions are like, but part of me wonders if maybe some ROM versions really are designated for region changed models. I guess that's a new thing to investigate, the effects of region changing on the ROM version! Perhaps some versions come with multiple ROMs built in and the one that's loaded depends on whether the region change feature is enabled. I guess in the case of the zebra one, it was packaged with A3 2 and maybe A3 3 was a later European ROM that was added to models later in the V3 production run?

• Like 1

Did you know? English and Japanese are not the only languages Tamagotchi are available in.

None of this post is my own findings! Lots of helpful people in the Discord introduced me to what I'm about to show you.

So, there's this video of a few Tamagotchi V2 glitches, and one of the glitches results in the Tamagotchi playing a sound I don't think I've heard anywhere else. It kinda sounds like the "victory" sound slowed down, to me.

I'd seen this video before, but upon rewatching last night I realised something I must have totally forgotten about: the Tamagotchi is in Spanish. I don't think I've ever seen a Spanish Tamagotchi anywhere else, but apparently most of the Connection versions had a Spanish release. I doubt a release like this is rare, but finding them on the English-speaking internet? Probably not so easy. There might be a whole treasure trove of version differences here which are yet to be uncovered - the Spanish versions also leave a bunch of gaps in the ROM versions list that we can hopefully fill in.

Spanish wasn't the only other language that got its own Tamagotchi release. Have you ever seen a Russian Tamagotchi Friends before? Later Tamagotchi releases had fewer revisional differences so I imagine the Russian version would play identically to an English Tamagotchi Friends aside from the language (though, the games did differ between the European and American releases - I guess, judging by the shell and the date format, that the Russian version was built upon the American version's ROM).

Got any more info on foreign language Tamagotchis like the Spanish releases? Aware of any other obscure Tamagotchi versions? I'd love to hear more about them.

• Like 2

It's actually Ukrainian, not Russian. 

I've hard of the Tama-Go being released in Portugese and I think I've seen screenshots of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jhud said:

It's actually Ukrainian, not Russian. 

I've hard of the Tama-Go being released in Portugese and I think I've seen screenshots of it. 

See I'd heard it was actually Ukrainian because there were rumblings about it on the wiki, but I'd also heard that it was actually not Ukrainian and it was Russian, and the channel that uploaded the video I posted is called "Tamagotchi Russia" so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe it is Ukrainian, but whatever it is, it uses the Cyrillic alphabet.

The Tama-Go did have a release in Brazil so a Portuguese version would make sense - I've never seen the Brazilian ones in action though, only ever seen the packaging.

Edited by hwd45
  • Like 1

Funnily enough, pretty sure the title of that video is in Ukrainian, and while I'm not that much of an expert, the person sounds as if they were speaking Ukrainian rather than Russian as well... Odd. Might be wrong, it's hard to differentiate sometimes.

I've seen Tama-Go packages in Japanese, though I'm pretty sure the actual unit in them is english, which is even stranger. Did that version even come out in Japan? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jhud said:

Funnily enough, pretty sure the title of that video is in Ukrainian, and while I'm not that much of an expert, the person sounds as if they were speaking Ukrainian rather than Russian as well... Odd. Might be wrong, it's hard to differentiate sometimes.

I've seen Tama-Go packages in Japanese, though I'm pretty sure the actual unit in them is english, which is even stranger. Did that version even come out in Japan? 

It didn't release in Japan, but it did release in Singapore with Japanese packaging. Not sure if the toy itself was in Japanese though.

I'd guess it's in english since that's the more or less main language in Singapore. Odd that they got the Japanese packaging though. 

4 hours ago, Jhud said:

Odd that they got the Japanese packaging though. 

I would've understood that if it was Hong Kong, since a number of video games and the like used to release there with Japanese packaging and English text, if memory serves.

7 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

I would've understood that if it was Hong Kong, since a number of video games and the like used to release there with Japanese packaging and English text, if memory serves.

You mean Chinese? I'm not really sure why they would release in Japanese there. The Connection actually did release in Hong Kong with a Chinese instruction manual, and judging by the manual the text was in English. I've heard they came with the shells used by the Tamagotchi Plus though, so they're a unique combination of a Japanese shell and an English board. I feel like ROM tests would spit out the same versions as the rest of the European models, but it'd be interesting to confirm this in the future just in case the Hong Kong version uses a unique ROM version, or something.

Edit: here's the instruction manual of the Hong Kong version.

Edited by hwd45
  • Like 1