hwd45

ROM Versions

Posted (edited)

I've ROM tested my V4 and V5 and my brother's V4 (he also has a V5 but I have no idea where it is) and here are the results:

European golden V4:
Version: A4.5 E
Serial number: 0002307
I've also noticed there's a number and a letter on the inside of the battery cover on the right, and on the Tamagotchi behind the battery cover next to the screw hole, and they're different between Tamagotchis, so I'll add them as well
Inside of battery cover: A2
Next to screw hole: D1

European blue swirl V4:
Version: A4.3 E (interesting, this one was actually bought AFTER the golden V4)
Serial number: 0050016
Inside of battery cover: B3
Next to screw hole: D2

European black/gold Gozarutchi V5:
Version: 34.1
Serial number: 0011108
Inside of battery cover: E3
Next to screw hole: B1

Also, I've actually found some differences between both V4s:

When they receive a poop or snake mail, the golden V4 (A4.5 E) drops to 1 happy heart, and the blue swirl V4 (A4.3 E) drops to 0 happy hearts.

When you try to connect both of them but choose "others" instead of "Jinsei" in one or both of them, when you press B on one of them (to change from stand-by to connect), the other one shows an error message which varies:

A4.5 E Jinsei, A4.3 E others:
Pressing B on the A4.5 E: "Select Jinsei to play" on the A4.3 E
Pressing B on the A4.3 E: "Select Jinsei to play" on the A4.5 E

A4.5 E others, A4.3 E Jinsei:
Pressing B on the A4.5 E: "Select others to play" on the A4.3 E

A4.5 E others, A4.3 E others:

I hope this helps! (Also, some of my friends have also had V4s and I've never seen a V4 in Spanish instead of English)

Edited by Juaner33
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Juaner33 said:

When you try to connect both of them but choose "others" instead of "Jinsei" in one or both of them, when you press B on one of them (to change from stand-by to connect), the other one shows an error message which varies:

A4.5 E Jinsei, A4.3 E others:
Pressing B on the A4.5 E: "Select Jinsei to play" on the A4.3 E

A4.5 E others, A4.3 E Jinsei:

A4.5 E others, A4.3 E others:

I wasn't aware of this! Definitely interesting and worth investigating. I'd noticed the letter-number pairs on the battery doors too - no idea what they could mean at this point.

Posted (edited)

Spanish versions are rare enough in English speaking markets that we don't get to see Spanish ROM versions very often - though today a helpful user on the Tamagotchi Collectors Discord revealed two new version screens:

fuboQby.png

The Spanish V1 - assuming there weren't any later Spanish V1 versions - is 4.3. Not exactly surprising, but always nice to know!

qcm5jMH.png

The Spanish V4.5 has a Tougyutchi as its regional character just like the 5.5. By the looks of it, this version is called "A4.5 S·0", which is a little different to the convention used by other V4.5 versions.

---

Hey, while I'm here, let's talk about that "Recognition Codes" thing I mentioned in the patents post. It seems to be the case that all Japanese and international models that used Infrared and could connect to other versions in the connection series had a version in the same version numbering system - the integer part of the version number being the "Recognition Code" of that particular version. The version number was reset from 4U onwards, perhaps not coincidentally at the same time that the connection system was shifted away from IR. I think it's interesting to list all the known recognition codes, because it suggests where the different Deka versions could fit into the numbering (as well as potentially pointing at missing versions?

0 - V1 (Japan)
1 - Deka Plus (Japan)
2 - V1 (Europe, Asia-Pacific)
3 - Deka Plus (European English, unreleased)
4 - V1 (America)
5 - ???
6 - Keitai
7 - ???
8 - Hanerutchi
9 - ???
10 - ???
11 - Ouchi no Dekatama
12 - Akai
13 - ???
14 - Entama
15 - ???
16 - Uratama
17 - ???
18 - Hanerutchi 2
19 - ???
20 - ???
21 - Tamasuku
22 - ???
23 - Tamasuku 2
24 - ???
25 - ???
26 - ???
27 - Tamafure
28 - V5 (Japan)
29 - ???
30 - V5 (Asia-Pacific)
31 - ???
32 - V5 (America)
33 - ???
34 - V5 (Europe)
35 - ???
36 - V5.5 (All regions)
37 - ???
38 - ???
39 - ???
40 - +Color
41 - ???
42 - Hexagontchi
43 - iD
44 - ???
45 - ???
46 - ???
47 - ???
48 - ???
49 - iD Station
50 - iDL
51 - ???
52 - ???
53 - iDL (English)
54 - iDL (15th Anniversary)
55 - iDL (Princess Spacy)
56 - Tamagotchi P's

Missing versions include the Kakeibo, the Shopping Center Deka, the Game Center Deka, the Tamatama Market Deka, the Royal Market Deka, the Gotchi King Deka, the (potentially cancelled?) JAL Deka, the Jukutama Deka, the Otokitchi Dating Station, the iD Spot, the Conan iD (definitely not happening any time soon LMAO), the Lovely Melody iD and the iDL Spot. I think some of the Data Carddass might actually have recognition codes of their own even if they didn't use normal Tamagotchi firmware - they did connect to some of these devices after all, though I can't find much documentation about them.

There's also a few slightly unusual devices which could potentially use the same kind of version numbers?
- Tamagotchi Resort (I've not heard much about this one, perhaps it was cancelled?)
- Tamagotchi Music Fever
- Tamagotchi School Championship (some sort of plug and play??)
- Tamagotchi Restaurant (???)
- That one Chamametchi thing (??????)

Are there any other devices I might be missing? It seems to me like there's an awful lot of gaps.

Edited by hwd45
extra devices added to the end of the post
  • Like 1

i kinda wanna do this with a p1 but i highly doubt it'll work with any 90's tama's.. but what about watchlin? will there be any rom checks discvoered... and how do i get a rom check for the tamagotchi connections? considering 1 of mine is on debug mode.

4 hours ago, ꌃꍏꌩꂦꍟꈤ_꓄ꍏꂵꍏꁅꂦ꓄ꉓꃅ said:

i kinda wanna do this with a p1 but i highly doubt it'll work with any 90's tama's.. but what about watchlin? will there be any rom checks discvoered... and how do i get a rom check for the tamagotchi connections? considering 1 of mine is on debug mode.

- Vintage Tamagotchis do have a test mode, activated with A+Reset. However, only the screen is tested in this mode - no version numbers.

- I'd not heard of Watchlin before, but yes it probably does have a test mode. I don't think any device so far has been found to not have a test mode.

- Connection versions that are debugged cannot access the test mode, as far as we can tell. Not really sure why. Usually the button combination for Connection devices is A+B+C+Reset or B+C+Reset depending on whether it's an international version or a Japanese-exclusive respectively. The reset button should be pressed while the other buttons are being held down.

• Like 1

So! One more gap filled in - a user in the Collectors Discord just tested their Tamatama Market Deka, revealing that its version is 15.0!

I guess this position makes the most sense considering the Entama corresponds to 14 - it seems like the first Deka corresponding to each main release takes on the version after the initial version.

Hopefully some of the remaining Dekas - the Deka Plus, Shopping Centre, Game Centre, Royal Deka, King Deka and Jukutama - can also be tested soon.

On 1/4/2019 at 2:54 PM, hwd45 said:

A few small updates:

Firstly, it turns out some Ketais have the ROM version 6.1. I haven't found much else about ROM versions and version differences in Japanese models, so any help with those would be greatly appreciated. It looks like the Japanese models might have continued using the numbered version notation the Plus / V1 used:

Plus / V1: 0.0, 2.0, 2.1, 4.0, 4.2
Keitai: 6.1
Famitama / V5: 34.1

I guess we'll see if the pattern continues as we collect more version numbers.

Another thing I thought it might be insightful to mention is the prototype version of the Tama-Go:

tamatowngallery01.jpg

If you were around for the build up to Tama-Go's release you might remember that the shell designs completely changed. Firstly, the shells seen here used a more of a matte colouring scheme than the glossy shells we got in the final version. The faceplates were entirely different (I think I prefer these faceplates), the bases of the figures shown are more translucent than the final design of the lite figures, the packaging is a little different and it looks like the IR slot is transparent here (the three Tama-gos which aren't in use have completely opaque IR slots, I think they might just be mock-up models though. The pink one also seems to be missing part of its top).

tamatowngallery13.jpg

Even the figures got prototype models! Gorippatchi never got her own figure. I wonder if this one is a functional figure, or just another mock-up? We'll see in a bit that it's probably the latter. There's also another image of a Mamametchi figure, which also never got released.

Memetchi's seen here again, but with a different design to the one in the previous image. I don't think this figure design was ever released.

tamatowngallery26.jpg

This last image is of particular interest to me. First and foremost, we can see that despite the figure clearly being on, the device has other ideas. In a video of the event we also see that no "Welcome!" image comes up when the figure is placed on the Tamagotchi. I guess that either confirms the figures being mock-ups or the device still not being fully programmed as of yet.

You might also notice it says "cartridge" instead of "character". I'm really curious about this - I wonder what other differences this version contained? Do you think these prototype Tama-Go models still exist somewhere in the world? Or, indeed, any other prototype Tamagotchis?

If people want, I could continue updating this thread with interesting stuff about version differences as I learn more. That's kind of what this project is, after all - an attempt to document all the different versions that were released.

I think KidRetro64 had one.

also, for the sake of science i will sacrifice my ID L and MEets (once i get them :P ) also, how does one go about rom testing the meets and id l?

btdubs i found one of those music fever things on amazon for a cool 90$

On 7/9/2019 at 10:44 PM, Kurb said:

highly doubt that.

9 hours ago, Kurb said:

also, for the sake of science i will sacrifice my ID L and MEets (once i get them :P ) also, how does one go about rom testing the meets and id l?

See my post in the other topic.

• Like 2

Lately I've been looking more into the version numbers of recent releases. This was probably triggered by the realisation that the Tamagotchi Meets is already available in at least 9 different variants, likely with more to come in the future depending on the success of the Tamagotchi On and Tamagotchi Some.

There's more gaps than there are in the Connection era list, and I'm not really sure what could go in those gaps. Some of the version numbers have been found in the Tamagotchi Meets app's coding - they're grouped in with other versions which make it seem as though they're alternative version numbers for versions that have already been recorded. I've marked these ones in yellow, so take them with a pinch of salt as they might not correspond to the name listed next to them. Despite this all of the version numbers observed on actual devices match up with the version numbers in this list.

001 - Tamagotchi 4U
002 - ???
003 - ???
004 - ???
005 - ???
006 - ???
007 - ???
008 - ???
009 - ???
010 - ???
011 - ???
012 - ???
013 - ???
014 - Tamagotchi M!x - Melody M!x
015 - Tamagotchi M!x - Anniversary M!x
016 - ???
017 - Tamagotchi M!x - Sanrio M!x
018 - ???
019 - ???
020 - Tamagotchi M!x - Dream M!x
021 - Tamagotchi M!x - Gift M!x
022 - Tamagotchi M!x - Sanrio M!x
023 - Tamagotchi M!x - Dream M!x V2
024 - ???
025 - ???
026 - ???
027 - ???
028 - ???
029 - ???
030 - Tamagotchi Meets - Fairytale Meets
031 - Tamagotchi Meets - Magical Meets
032 - ???
033 - ???
034 - Tamagotchi Meets App
035 - ???
036 - ???
037 - ???
038 - ???
039 - Tamagotchi Meets - Pastel Meets
040 - Tamagotchi Meets - Sanrio Meets
041 - ???
042 - ???
043 - ???
044 - ???
045 - ???
046 - ???
047 - Tamagotchi Meets - Fantasy Meets
048 - ???
049 - ???
050 - ???
051 - ???
052 - ???
053 - ???
054 - ???
055 - Tamagotchi Meets - Pastel Meets
056 - Tamagotchi Meets - Sanrio Meets
057 - Tamagotchi On - Fairytale On
058 - 
???
059 - Tamagotchi Meets - Pastel Meets

One noticeable unusual quirk of the numbers so far is that Fantasy sits in the middle of the gigantic gap between the original Meets and the Pastel version. Even weirder is that its version number is lower than that of the Pastel and Sanrio versions which were both released before the Fantasy Meets. That, combined with the fact that there's huge gaps in the numbering and potentially multiple different version numbers for each version, means it's safe to say that there's something going on here that we don't quite understand yet. Perhaps it'll become more apparent as more new versions release.

The following versions are definitely missing from the list above:

Tamagotchi 4U+
Tamagotchi M!x - Spacy M!x
Tamagotchi M!x - Sanrio M!x
Tamagotchi Meets Station
Tamagotchi On - Magical On
Tamagotchi On App
Tamagotchi Some - Fairytale Some
Tamagotchi Some - Magical Some
Tamagotchi Some App

It's probably worth testing more of the devices that we already have, too, to confirm that they do indeed come with a variety of version numbers.

@hwd45 - I'm just curious, what's the "Tamagotchi Some"? Going by the versions that you've listed, I'm assuming that it's another localised version of the Meets - am I right on that? This is the first time that I've heard of it. :P

10 minutes ago, Penguin-keeper said:

@hwd45 - I'm just curious, what's the "Tamagotchi Some"? Going by the versions that you've listed, I'm assuming that it's another localised version of the Meets - am I right on that? This is the first time that I've heard of it. :P

Yes! It is the Korean version of the Meets :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iTamannadi said:

Yes! It is the Korean version of the Meets :) 

Indeed, I've not really heard it being mentioned much around here but I believe display units are already playable in some Korean stores.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hwd45 said:

Indeed, I've not really heard it being mentioned much around here but I believe display units are already playable in some Korean stores.

Yes that’s right! It seems to have the same proggreming as the Meets ( excluding the language ) and being honest there probably won’t be much of a difference.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:44 PM, Kurb said:

No, I don’t own a TamaTown. So I can’t help with that side of the project.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:18 PM, Kurb said:

I’m not an expert on the IDLs and Meets, but they have pretty much opposite programming (making sense from there release gap.). Whatever results you get will probably be diffrent, if you manage.

yeeeeet

three gens down the drain

On 7/21/2019 at 9:49 PM, Kurb said:

yeeeeet

three gens down the drain

Do keep us updated on what you find.