Which tama should I choose?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berryitchi

Reaction score
Hai! :) Oof it's been a while since I've been on the forums... So last night I was looking through Amazon and saw the most gorgeous tama ever. No reviews. But it was a white tama with cherries. Apparently it's a fake +color. It'd be my first colour tamagotchi! *screams* It looks amazing. How good is it? I've read a few bits about them, and they sound pretty good. The only weird thing is that it'll arrive after Christmas, which isn't a problem, but taking a month to arrive seems a bit long. (I've never bought a tama online before :p ) Else, there's an ID L. Which might turn out to be a Friends (I love the Friends. But I don't own one. xD). I'm fine with that tbh. Otherwise I get the original 1997 tama in The Entertainer. (The game creeps me out. o_O) My fave is the cherry one. Which is the best???

Waiting a month is a standard for ordering a tama from China with cheap shipping. Normally it should take about a week or two.

It's not very good, tbh. I mean, it's decent but it does feel very cheap, character growth is poor or nonexistent (you choose an adult character...), and pretty much all you do in the fake +Color is growing plants and then selling them. It's pretty different from a real +Color.

Don't pay more than 20$ for it (and even that is a big price to pay).

An iD L that might end up being a Friends seems like a decent deal, but of course I would never pay an iD L price for a Friends. Friends are worth like... 10$, that's how much I bought mine for. They are boring but at least well made, while iD L is great.

The original 1997 tamagotchi is nothing special to be honest, but I speak as someone who has no nostalgia associated with vintages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww... shame about the fake +color. :( I'll check the prices for the id l's on amazon. The problem with the id l's is the size... I prefer small things :p Welp, I guess I better check the id l prices. There was also this other fake thing on amazon... It was like a tv remote but with 3 buttons. The writing on the packaging was Japanese (Else Chinese) and it looked kinda cool, but it was probably the normal fake v-pet in a different shell. :/ Anyway, thanks! (If there are more opinions on the +color fake then tell me cuz I really liked how it looked. xD)

I watched a video and the fake actually looks pretty amazing! xDD (Every tama seems amazing since I just have a mini tho. :p ) I'm super tempted by the fakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. IT LOOKS LIKE A 4U BUT IT'S FAKE I MEAN I DREAM OF GETTING A 4U 'o'

It doesn't look like a 4U at all, it looks like a +Color, exactly. And 4U is not worth getting without a compatible phone.

Color versions aren't all that big actually, of course they are much larger than a Mini but even an original vintage is larger than that.

Awww... shame about the fake +color. :( I'll check the prices for the id l's on amazon. The problem with the id l's is the size... I prefer small things :p Welp, I guess I better check the id l prices. There was also this other fake thing on amazon... It was like a tv remote but with 3 buttons. The writing on the packaging was Japanese (Else Chinese) and it looked kinda cool, but it was probably the normal fake v-pet in a different shell. :/ Anyway, thanks! (If there are more opinions on the +color fake then tell me cuz I really liked how it looked. xD)
If you really want an iD L, I'd highly recommend checking out Ebay instead of Amazon. iD Ls are very expensive on Amazon, but Ebay typically has better deals. New iD L's on both sites cost anywhere from $100-$200, but Ebay has a lot of used iD L's that cost anywhere $30-$50. If you really want a brand-new iD L, then I'd recommend looking at Japanyouwant. Typically, the price for new in box Tamagotchis is better there than anywhere else (and their prices for used Tamagotchis aren't bad either).

I agree with Jhud about the price of the fake Plus Color. $20+ is a lot for a fake Tamagotchi. However, if you're really interested in having one, then I'd say go for it! Just try to keep your purchase to $20 or less because anything above that is pretty much a rip-off...

As for the 4U, unless you can find a really good deal or have a compatible phone, then I'd recommend avoiding it. It's apparently not very good without the downloads and not worth the price. However, Ebay recently had a lot of great deals on 4U's/4U+'s, so you may want to look there if you're interested. I don't have a compatible phone either, but I purchased a 4U+ about a week ago because it was available at a super good price and I just wanted to check it out.

All in all, the iD L is probably the best option out of these three. It's the best quality and price wise (if you don't mind used).

From what I know Berryitchi doesn't have access to any websites other than Ebay when it comes to tamas, because her parents don't let her buy anywhere else. Correct?

Sadly that's very limiting to what she can buy, which is a shame becaue ebay or even JYW has way better deals.

From what I know Berryitchi doesn't have access to any websites other than Ebay when it comes to tamas, because her parents don't let her buy anywhere else. Correct?

Sadly that's very limiting to what she can buy, which is a shame becaue ebay or even JYW has way better deals.
Sorry about that! I didn't know she wasn't allowed to purchase tamas from other sites. My parents had the same "Amazon only" rule when I was younger, so I understand completely. :p

In that case, you mentioned you were thinking of getting the original 1997 Tamagotchi, right? Amazon has very fair prices for the 2018 P1 and P2 re-releases, so I'd recommend those! The only differences between the two are the characters and the games. Even then, the games are similar in the sense that they're guessing games. The P1's game is a direction guessing game while the P2's is a number guessing game. The number game is a less random than the direction game, but other than that they're basically the same. The main defining characteristic of each version is the characters, so I would pick a version based on that. The list of characters for both versions can be found here: https://tamagotchi.wikia.com/wiki/Tamagotchi_(1996_Pet)/Character_list.

Sorry about that! I didn't know she wasn't allowed to purchase tamas from other sites. My parents had the same "Amazon only" rule when I was younger, so I understand completely. :p

In that case, you mentioned you were thinking of getting the original 1997 Tamagotchi, right? Amazon has very fair prices for the 2018 P1 and P2 re-releases, so I'd recommend those! The only differences between the two are the characters and the games. Even then, the games are similar in the sense that they're guessing games. The P1's game is a direction guessing game while the P2's is a number guessing game. The number game is a less random than the direction game, but other than that they're basically the same. The main defining characteristic of each version is the characters, so I would pick a version based on that. The list of characters for both versions can be found here: https://tamagotchi.wikia.com/wiki/Tamagotchi_(1996_Pet)/Character_list.
In the UK, The Original Tamagotchi is actually exclusive to a toy shop chain called The Entertainer, so you'd probably be overpaying if you got one on Amazon!

I believe that Berryitchi mentioned being able to obtain one of those from The Entertainer in person, though. :)

I really enjoy them, personally, because they're a nice, clear raising experience with no additional fuss like items, schools, jobs, raising families, and still pooping all over the floor in spite of being dressed for work. :p Progress is clear and easy to understand from a visual and mechanical perspective, and there are no obscure mechanics to get in the way of that. For someone who started with a 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini, as Berryitchi has, it's a bit of a step up, too, as they're quite a bit more involved due to the meters being visible, and there being a game, and penalties for overdoing snacks (they can cause an early death or poorer evolutions in these remakes, which is something that they have over the original vintage models from back in the day).

Sorry, I meant Amazon in my post, not ebay!

Yeah, I guess the original wouldn't be that bad of a choice for someone who started with the mini, I completely forgot about that.

I do personally like all the "fuss" related to jobs and stuff since it's all the more to do with the character, but might be a biig leap.

Yeah, I guess the original wouldn't be that bad of a choice for someone who started with the mini, I completely forgot about that.
Now that you've said that, I can't even imagine how big of a leap going from a Mini as your first, to a colour Tamagotchi as your second, would be! :lol:

I do personally like all the "fuss" related to jobs and stuff since it's all the more to do with the character, but might be a biig leap.
I was never able to get into it myself - more to power to you that you were able to! :)

I think that it comes down to what we want out of the experience, though.

I really only jokingly call it "fuss", honestly, because all that I'm after is raising a creature with a life-cycle, rather than also dealing with its home-life, its work-life, and its descendants (I find that most of those break the illusion somewhat for me, since we were originally told that these creatures can't survive in Earth's atmosphere and therefore used the electronic devices as a house before expiring - how are there suddenly multiple locations that we can see inside of the physical device that's meant to be their house? :lol: ).

I do know that for others, it's a core part of the experience whether they were present for the originals or not, and the later parts of the Tamagotchi line absolutely set the gold standard for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oof, so many replies! Tysm xD Welp, the original seems to be the most popular. *thing is I'll think it's cute then feed it too many sweets xD* I couldn't see the originals in The Entertainer in town though... I'm sure they'll have them now. >.< Tysm again for the replies everyone! Sadly my mum said 4U's were too expensive. So about £30 'for a little plastic egg' is probably my maximum. xD If anyone knows of any other tamas in that price range on Amazon then pleaseeee tell me. xD Thanks! :D

I mean, to my parents every tamagotchi is the same. They don't really seem to get how each one is different. So I gotta choose the right tama. :/ The fake would be my first colour tamagotchi and yes it'd be a HUGEEE step up, but I'd get used to it. The original OH DANG I FORGOT MY MINI SQUEE I GOT MAMETCHI so yeah the original isn't such a big step. But whether it's too similar to the mini and after a while it'd get boring. :/ Idk. :( The fake is the favourite. Again. :p

Well, if you really want the fake... I mean, it's not a genuine Bandai one, but it sounds like it's reasonably different to the Mini. I haven't had an original, but if a Mini is modeled after one, it might get boring to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back