The Pet Vet ended up not working due to some sort of malfunction with the battery compartment. In the meantime, let's have a look at the 32-in-1 Virtal Pets. This one shares the same shell of two other generic vpets, one being the original bunny ROM (possibly by JD) and the Smart Baby & Pets clone. Fittingly, the majority of the characters on it are modified sprites from both. Here's a few:

ERQZ6074.gif

Some of these characters are also from the Scholastic V-Pets, which is no surprise as it plays similarly. Here's another version of the Scholastic pet I found a while, btw:

IMG-2810.jpg

I ended up picking the T-Rex because 1) it is original 2) how could I not? Just look at it!

IMG-2885.jpg

Unfortunately I only have a few days to run this and I think it takes a week for it to mature, so we won't get to see a full runthrough until later....... 
This is yet another Gyaoppi clone, and it even uses the same care icons as the pen game. Unlike that pet, you can select the game icon while it's a baby. All it does is show a little workout animation, so there's no actual minigame. There WAS a guide for this exact vpet on YT, but now I can't find it. I'll take a guess and say that if this does have a minigame, then it's unlocked later. Virtual Pets is surprisingly low on maintenance compared to, say, the original Tamagotchi. After getting both meters full, I haven't had to care for it much. My only complaint is the control scheme. Just like the Pet Vet, it is extremely weird compared to a Tamagotchi. However, this time it has an excuse since the icons are set up more like a Dinkie pet. Speaking of Dinkie pets, I recall the original release of this being in a Dinkie Dino shell:

Sorry for the huge video thumbnail. 

8:47 PM- Fortunately, this vpet goes to bed at 9 PM. It's nice to see the devs make it a reasonable hour for once. There's a catch though, as the time runs faster than normal and can't be changed. Depending on how things go these next few days, I might actually manage a full run. We shall see... This will probably be another slow section. As we've seen so far, bootleg and knockoff virtual pets tend to be very light on content. Well, you get what you pay for...

• Like 2

8/28- At 8 AM I woke up to the surprise that my vpet had grown. 

F62383-EA-054-D-4350-89-D9-B005-AEF8-E91

I don’t know how many there are, but my personal bet is on 3. It turns out I was wrong about this having a minigame, which is a bummer because even the awful JD bunny rom version has a few. I actually have one of those as well, but it’s in pieces. 

8/29- Nothing much. I anticipate on it being a few days before the little dino turns into a T-Rex.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneSummerDream said:

8/28- At 8 AM I woke up to the surprise that my vpet had grown. 

I'm really interested in seeing if you can manage a complete run with this one. The two that I have that use this software have the clock running so fast that it quickly becomes problematic and they die very easily. That's annoying, as they seem to be fun enough aside from that issue.

Got busy for the 1,000,000th time, but I'm back. Curious about how the Virtual Pets went during my two attempts? Well, have a look:

AE5FB5A6-C97B-488C-9295-A7A7F6CA5CD0.gif

Well, @Penguin-keeper, looks like I couldn't manage a complete run. I couldn't even get past day 2! Mine has the same problem as well, though I never considered the fast clock impacting gameplay this much. Maybe that's because all the others I've ran with the same problem can either have their clocks fixed (as in, changing it to the normal time) or don't require that much care anyways? Well, in much better news, look at what I got to work :) :

358C9DED-445C-416B-A95E-8FD729E26FDD.jpg

That's right. This time it actually turned on instead of frying the batteries. And you know what? It's actually pretty easy so far. What a relief. It's been a few hours since I started it, and already I can say that this is a pretty decent retro vpet. The 3 health meters are really big and the game starts them nearly full. After getting each filled, they deplete one segment every hour. The Pet Vet is definitely a Nano clone. Everything from the graphics to the sounds is similar. It also contains a startup animation (apologies for the poor camerawork):

DE886405-BC6-B-4-D8-F-9-A80-A78098-B51-E

I'm still getting accustomed to the DCBA control scheme, but all is well besides that. Not much else to say today. I don't anticipate on it growing until at least tomorrow. I did manage to find instructions, but unfortunately it includes everything except a growth chart. Since it's a Nano clone, it's safe to guess that it will age similarly. As a plus, I will also get to do a full run of this instead of only a day or two. And yes, I do classify clones and knockoffs like Pet Vet to fall in the same category as bootlegs since they heavily copy pre-existing material. (Plus, I'm out of new bootlegs for now ;))

• Like 2

All right, day two of the Pet Vet! When I turned on its lights this morning, I noticed that my puppy had grown.

333B9577-BCBB-4BBC-BDF7-1C018FA6ED23.gif

There doesn't seem to be an actual bedtime for this thing, so I just turned the lights off at 10 PM. During that time, its stats will still deplete and it will go poo. Luckily, this is a really easy vpet, so it didn't take long to fill each one from a little more than half full. If anyone knows what the actual bedtime is, please help. The instructions say that the puppy will lie down when it's bedtime, but that's not true.

One thing that makes the Pet Vet stand out is how regardless of whether you win or lose the minigame, it will always raise happiness. Winning makes the bar fill much faster, whereas losing only fills 1 segment of it. Hey, I'm not complaining :D Trying to win the guessing game is really annoying, especially on games like the Chuppi Gyaoppi where you can't use snacks for happiness. Another thing that's different but not necessarily game-changing is that any "mess" it makes is not displayed on-screen until you use the bathtub icon. These are two more things the instructions are completely wrong about, and it's like they were written for a different game. 

This game is very forgiving (especially when compared to the last one). I left it alone for about 3 hours today, and it only left a very small dent in each meter. Since then, I haven't had to care for it yet. I'll wait until 10 PM again to put it to bed again, and that will make another day completed. If anyone has any questions about this game, please leave one and I'll respodn to it in the following entry. Thanks again for reading. Hopefully I can keep this run going smoother now ^_^"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneSummerDream said:

One thing that makes the Pet Vet stand out is how regardless of whether you win or lose the minigame, it will always raise happiness. Winning makes the bar fill much faster, whereas losing only fills 1 segment of it. Hey, I'm not complaining :D Trying to win the guessing game is really annoying, especially on games like the Chuppi Gyaoppi where you can't use snacks for happiness.

This seems to be a thing on the MGA pets, too - I noticed it on my MGA Penguin when I first ran it. It's very, very welcome with the luck-based left/right game, as it makes filling the meter so much more convenient. :P

• Like 1

Everything was going fine this morning. It looked like my puppy had grown into an adult, or at least teenager.

That is, until I accidentally dropped the device. Fortunately the device was undamaged, but it froze on the clock screen and I was forced to reset.

60C7B168-666E-4EF0-BE2B-40DE94379A2A.jpg

Optimistically speaking, this just means I’ll have a sooner opportunity to try and get a different breed (assuming this has multiple growth patterns). For this, I’ve been keeping the meters around the center, not full like last time. Also, I’m only feeding it kibble. Today, there wasn’t be a whole lot to talk about besides the initial incident, since it was all basic care (or lack thereof) for this first day.

@Penguin-keeper It sure is. I usually have pretty back luck which makes running most 90’s oddpets a pain, especially the ones where you can’t use snacks for happiness. I’ve never ran any other one that does this, so it was a pleasant surprise.

• Like 2

B9-B0-B11-F-515-B-4761-9-C29-E4-FE0-E6-E 

The puppy is now on the second day of its “toddler” stage, and will turn into a teenager tomorrow. I’m not sure how many growth stages there are thanks to the freak mishap last time, but I’m hoping at least 4. In addition to that, two more fakes are now up and running: the Pen/“Game machine” and the JD V3. 

I ended up picking the E.T.-looking character for the 49-in-1.

88809-FFE-520-C-4-BB5-BA1-A-F4-E6-A431-F

On the JD V3 I’m trying to see what happens when minimal care is given. I wanted to see if growth was actually based on care or not. It looks like that is the case, and for the teen stage I got the same character I did the first time, which means that I had raised the worse character possible. That’s quite the accomplishment, as I usually at least get the second-best character on vpets.

5-DFD54-C7-B624-4-B71-AD27-AA3723-CD574-

Before I end today’s entry, I’d like to ask a question: Do you guys think the Pet Vet really is a clone/knockoff? I’m not familiar enough with Nanos, MGA pets, and the like to say so myself. The last thing I want is to include something irrelevant to this log’s theme. 

• Like 2

I don't know if the Pet Vet can be considered a clone, but I enjoy seeing it in your logs.

• Like 1

The Pet Vet has been an adult (maybe only teen) for almost 2 days now. I still don’t know how the growth stages work on this thing yet, but we’ll find out. I had to stop running the “Game machine” Gyaoppi clone because it kept resetting itself. It’s a shame that one is broken now, because it has been my favorite retro-style modern multipet. I have some ideas on how to at least temporarily fix it, but in the meantime it’s game over for that one.

876-AC16-B-B19-E-427-C-AB6-A-D87-F2-FC24

One thing worth noting is that the health meter depletion on the Pet Vet is starting to change. Not only does it feel like it’s getting faster overall, but happiness drains twice as fast as the other bars. Oh, and about the JD... It’s still the same character as before. I’m guessing that its growth is based off of how long it’s healthy rather than how old it is like on a real Tamagotchi, if that makes any sense. 

@Eggiweg Thanks! I probably should have just done some research beforehand, but I’m happy the Pet Vet’s inclusion isn’t too annoying lol. 

• Like 2

Okay, I did some research and it turns out the Pet Vet is a clone of MGA programming, not Nano. It’s almost the exact same, except the sprites on the scale menu are replaced with text. Here’s a video that shows MGA’s version:

According to the box, this was released by Randtoy. I think this is another case like Scholastic’s V-Pets where both companies got the rights to use the same software made by someone else, which would explain why two different toy companies would release something so similar. Either that or Randtoy just copied MGA, but I doubt they’d do that when there were more popular vpets to clone.

The instructions are almost exactly the same as that of the Nano Puppy, but with minor differences. It’s not exactly 1:1 with the actual gameplay, but here it is for anyone interested:

F7-A0-C86-C-8-A31-4-FD0-B17-D-188129-B71

As for today’s update- nothing really happened. I had to grind the minigame a bit, but that was it. It turns out I was wrong (yet again), and what happened yesterday was that I filled the other meters but forgot to play the minigame. I’m convinced this is the adult stage, so I’ll run it for a few more days. If it still doesn’t change, I’ll move on and either re-run one of the Color fakes or take another break until a new bootleg comes out.

• Like 2

Okay, I did some research and it turns out the Pet Vet is a clone of MGA programming, not Nano. It’s almost the exact same, except the sprites on the scale menu are replaced with text.

That explains why the mechanics that you mentioned reminded me of the MGA Penguin. :lol:

I think this is another case like Scholastic’s V-Pets where both companies got the rights to use the same software made by someone else, which would explain why two different toy companies would release something so similar.

I reckon that you're right about this, as it seems to have been the case for other MGA pets, too. My MGA Penguin is from a different company and was renamed to Penguin Time, but as far as I know it's otherwise identical.

And on that note, I have to ask, does the Pet Vet also have the very cruel discipline feature that seems to be common to all of the MGA pets, where you have to fill a bar by repeatedly disciplining it until it's full every day rather than by responding to misbehaviour over time? :(

I’m convinced this is the adult stage, so I’ll run it for a few more days.

Since it's an MGA pet, it should be the adult stage, yes - they only seem to have three stages per growth-path, if memory serves. They're also very quick to run - if I'm remembering it right, their complete lifespan is only about a week or so.

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 1

The Pet Vet actually ended up turning into an adult a few days ago, making 4 stages. 

8-BDB443-B-3-F97-4141-A6-D4-73-DB8412604

I have no idea what dog breed it’s supposed to resemble, and it has some of the weirdest sprites I’ve seen on a vpet. Get a look at this eating sprite:

B5-BF7208-1-C05-4000-951-D-87-FD1-D2-CF8

Woah o_O

Unfortunately, it died this morning.

41-E4-C7-D2-874-A-421-D-92-ED-4-FF7792-B

My guess is that it went poo while it was sleeping, and I didn’t clean it in time which resulted in it getting sick and then dying. That’s one thing I find annoying about this game. Then again, I don’t know for sure if that’s the reason. It couldn’t be the bars being empty as I always had them at least a third full, but maybe that wasn’t enough.

On second thought, I’m not sure if Pet Vet counts as a clone or not, so I won’t log it in this thread anymore. It makes me want to start a normal log sometime.

@Penguin-keeper Yes, it does have that type of discipline bar. I had no idea how it worked until a few hours into my first run. How filling discipline works + the animation for it is sort of shocking, honestly. 

Edited by OneSummerDream
  • Like 1

That's a cute tail sprite!  I would love to continue seeing the Pet Vet in this log or another of your logs ^^.

14 hours ago, OneSummerDream said:

I have no idea what dog breed it’s supposed to resemble, and it has some of the weirdest sprites I’ve seen on a vpet.

The curly tail and pointy ears make me think of a Shiba Inu. :)

My guess is that it went poo while it was sleeping, and I didn’t clean it in time which resulted in it getting sick and then dying.

It might just be because the lifespan on the MGA pets is nine days, too. ;) Unless something was changed on the Pet Vet, it looks like you got the "good ending", though - the "bad" ones don't have a goodbye message, in my experience with the MGA Penguin.

@Penguin-keeper Yes, it does have that type of discipline bar. I had no idea how it worked until a few hours into my first run. How filling discipline works + the animation for it is sort of shocking, honestly. 

It really is.

For anyone who hasn't seen this particularly dubious feature of the MGA pets and doesn't know what we're talking about, I reacted with shock to it in my own log here back when I first saw it. It's really cruel. :(

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 1

Aww poor thing

On 9/21/2019 at 2:42 AM, OneSummerDream said:

The Pet Vet actually ended up turning into an adult a few days ago, making 4 stages. 

I have no idea what dog breed it’s supposed to resemble, and it has some of the weirdest sprites I’ve seen on a vpet. Get a look at this eating sprite:

B5-BF7208-1-C05-4000-951-D-87-FD1-D2-CF8

Woah o_O

My guess is that it went poo while it was sleeping, and I didn’t clean it in time which resulted in it getting sick and then dying. That’s one thing I find annoying about this game. Then again, I don’t know for sure if that’s the reason. It couldn’t be the bars being empty as I always had them at least a third full, but maybe that wasn’t enough.

On second thought, I’m not sure if Pet Vet counts as a clone or not, so I won’t log it in this thread anymore. It makes me want to start a normal log sometime.

aw poor puppy

Sorry that your puppy died :(

Edited by Penguin-keeper
Merged multi-posting.