Genealogy

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mametchimama

Reaction score
Is anyone else into genealogy? I’m bad at it but I did ancestrydna and got my results back. It’s exciting. I put my data into a site called codegen and also into a site called foundmyfitness

These test kits are kind of dangerous since they are automatically put into a crime database... It's safer to go to the city hall of your birthplace and ask for a genealogy tree there honestly. Genealogy is indeed interesting but I'm not that interested in mine, even though my immediate family is very, very small, since I don't know my father or my father's family side. 

These test kits are kind of dangerous since they are automatically put into a crime database... It's safer to go to the city hall of your birthplace and ask for a genealogy tree there honestly. Genealogy is indeed interesting but I'm not that interested in mine, even though my immediate family is very, very small, since I don't know my father or my father's family side. 
Also, many of those DNA sequencing organizations claim ownership of your genetic data when you agree to their terms. That could be a security problem in the future when it comes to insurance. We're already facing personalized advertisement based on physical profiling - better safe than sorry.

Also, I feel like I shouldn't speak about this issue since I'm white myself, but I've noticed that a lot of times it's just caucasian people who buy these kits to try to "prove that they're not 100% white"- they think that just because they're like, 1/36 African it suddenly means that they have authority to speak about what is and isn't racist or something. Of course that's not everybody but it is what I've seen. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been keeping track of my family's genealogy for a while. On my mom's side of the family especially, lots of my cousins [or their wives] are getting pregnant, there have been a few weddings in recent years on both sides of my family... so I'll need to update it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back