Admin

Tamagotchi On officially announced

Looks like Bandai has made the official announcement about the Tamagotchi On!

https://www.bandai.com/tamagotchi/

75 day countdown...  Can you wait that long?!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Admin said:

Looks like Bandai has made the official announcement about the Tamagotchi On!

https://www.bandai.com/tamagotchi/

75 day countdown...  Can you wait that long?!

The ad does it justice. :D The "Their story's in my hands." line is a really good promotional phrase, too.

Unfortunately, it's also revived the mispronunciation of Tamagotchi that originated in Tamagotchi Video Adventures. Boo! :P

I'm looking forward to seeing whether or not we get different advertising in the UK, and what that will turn out to be.

This is really cool, hoping that the glitches issue that some meets have are going to be resolved.

Unfortunately $60 in USD Is $80 CAD so I don't think I will be able to get it anytime soon.

Very interesting packaging though!

Will there be a European release? (Like...ever?) 😂

7 hours ago, TAMAmaybeth said:

Will there be a European release? (Like...ever?) 😂

That is unknown. I'm not sure which European countries got the P1/P2 Re-releases or minis, but the ones that did probably will get the On, eventually, unless the sales of the re-releases were poor there.

For what it's worth, it's probably going to be released in the UK.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 11:23 PM, Penguin-keeper said:

The ad does it justice. :D The "Their story's in my hands." line is a really good promotional phrase, too.

Unfortunately, it's also revived the mispronunciation of Tamagotchi that originated in Tamagotchi Video Adventures. Boo! :P

I'm looking forward to seeing whether or not we get different advertising in the UK, and what that will turn out to be.

Quick Question; Will places like Smyths & Local supermarkets supply them? I live in a small town and Smyths is the only place near me that sells toys. Fortunately, it’s a really big shop ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KidRetro64 said:

Quick Question; Will places like Smyths & Local supermarkets supply them? I live in a small town and Smyths is the only place near me that sells toys. Fortunately, it’s a really big shop ;)

I have no idea - I haven't seen any UK coverage of the Tamagotchi On yet, so I haven't seen any statements from Bandai UK, either.

I prefer Smyths Toys over The Entertainer, myself (for some inexplicable reason, The Entertainer doesn't carry Pokemon products, even though it's the world's biggest media-franchise, and those sorts of oversights seem to be common with them), but unfortunately The Entertainer had exclusivity on the Tamagotchi Original Gen 1 and Gen 2 re-releases, so I'm going to hazard a guess that the same could yet happen with the On.

I don't want that, but at this point it's been a long time since Smyths or anyone else carried any Tamagotchi goods. Still, here's hoping, eh? ;)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

I have no idea - I haven't seen any UK coverage of the Tamagotchi On yet, so I haven't seen any statements from Bandai UK, either.

I prefer Smyths Toys over The Entertainer, myself (for some inexplicable reason, The Entertainer doesn't carry Pokemon products, even though it's the world's biggest media-franchise, and those sorts of oversights seem to be common with them), but unfortunately The Entertainer had exclusivity on the Tamagotchi Original Gen 1 and Gen 2 re-releases, so I'm going to hazard a guess that the same could yet happen with the On.

I don't want that, but at this point it's been a long time since Smyths or anyone else carried any Tamagotchi goods. Still, here's hoping, eh? ;)

I just checked.. Bandai has no plans to bring Tamagotchi On the Europe or the UK.. somebody just asked on there Instagram Page! That’s Annoying :(

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, KidRetro64 said:

I just checked.. Bandai has no plans to bring Tamagotchi On the Europe or the UK.. somebody just asked on there Instagram Page! That’s Annoying :(

In one way, that's legitimately surprising, since the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini and the Tamagotchi Original Gen 1 & Gen 2 did so well here.

In another, considering its price in the US and the high cost of living over here, it's perhaps not so surprising... Perhaps they're thinking that parents may reject that sort of pricing for a toy that's famous for being a simple, affordable keychain gadget?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

In one way, that's legitimately surprising, since the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini and the Tamagotchi Original Gen 1 & Gen 2 did so well here.

In another, considering its price in the US and the high cost of living over here, it's perhaps not so surprising... Perhaps they're thinking that parents may reject that sort of pricing for a toy that's famous for being a simple, affordable keychain gadget?

Then that’s kind of wrong.. What’s the difference between US Parents and UK? They both have to dicciplane and Nurture.. so really it’s up to Bandai. £60, they think that’s a lot here? Or the currency converter translates more; meaning people won’t buy?

You do have a very good point, though. If Bandai definitely can Shop there products to the UK ( In saying that about the 20th Anniversary ), so what’s stopping here?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KidRetro64 said:

Then that’s kind of wrong.. What’s the difference between US Parents and UK? They both have to dicciplane and Nurture..

Disciplining and nurturing is only part of the picture, though. ;) Like I said, the cost of living is higher over here - it always has been. Our bills are higher, our petrol costs more, and so on.

so really it’s up to Bandai. £60, they think that’s a lot here?

It is rather a lot for a Tamagotchi, to be fair. :lol:

That sort of pricing sounds off-putting to me as an enthusiast who imported the Japanese version of this model for less than that, including shipping and local taxes... I can only imagine how those with kids would balk at it! :o

That said, again, the pricing being a factor is only my best guess, because I really can't see any other reason why they wouldn't bring it over. It doesn't seem to be an issue for other expensive toys, though, so perhaps they just don't see any profit in bringing it over here; Perhaps the market is not as large as the constant sell-outs of the other recent releases made it appear to be? They have that data, and we don't, after all.

Or the currency converter translates more; meaning people won’t buy? 

There's not just currency-conversion to consider - they also have to deal with the costs of importing goods into Europe and having them tested and certified as safe to sell as toys for kids in this region, and probably some other things that I'm forgetting as well.

That stuff all raises the price for us as the end consumers, because they have to spend more in the first place in order to release it here.

You do have a very good point, though. If Bandai definitely can Shop there products to the UK ( In saying that about the 20th Anniversary ), so what’s stopping here?

I'd love to know, because it just seems so nonsensical. If you see anything mentioned about whatever their actual reasons might be for having no plans for the Tamagotchi On over here, please do give them a mention!

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Thanks 1

I feel like I really need one, it's cool to see a color screen release in English. :o Even though it's just an America thing, I need one. Preferably the mint or purple one.