Sign in to follow this  
KidRetro64

Bithday Prenstents?

Hey Everyone 👋

In 3 days, it’s going to be my Birthday! And I’m dying for a SIM Card. It’s quite a long story.. and I’m wondering if my parents behaviour does any good in this?

Well, back in February I decided that I really wanted a SIM. I brought my phone and my £1, but my Parents made me put it back. They said that “When I’m a bit older I can have one” but I’m trying to argue back that everyone that I know with phones has a SIM, and it’s unfair. 

Fast forward 3 months, I’m still asking and wanting one. But my Sister and Auntie day it’s not a good idea, because my Data will run down really quick knowing me. But I do know how they work! I know how to turn it Of, and stuff like that. 

But the other night, my Dad asked me what else I wanted for my birthday. I said nothing (Because I had already gotten a V3 and a Hatsune Mike Figure From Him) so there was a higher change of me getting one. But then he replied “Are you just doing this so you can get a SIM card?” And I say yes (looking back, I’m not sure if that was the best thing? Idk 😕) and he replies with one of my main questions. “Well, we’ve already decided about the whole SIM Thing” and didn’t say anything else. I’m not quite sure what he might be hinting!

But the good thing is that it’s not been a definite NO yet, it’s just a Not right now. So what does all of this mean? I really want one, but they were acting the same way when I got my Hamster saying “It’s a lot of responsibility” and “It’s not a toy” etc, etc. But then they ended up buying one! And We still have her today! I’m fact, my parents love my Hamster!

So, what does this all mean? Help is appreciated 💕

I don't understand why would you even have a phone without a SIM card? Back when I got my phone on the for the holy communion (so I was like 10) mom got me my phone SPECIFICALLY so I could call her in an emergency or something. These were the days before internet data plans or even phones with wifi were a thing though. Why don't you just tell them that you would use it specifically for this reason- to be able to call them or someone else in an emergency. They can choose what plan would suit a young person like you best and all that (a limit on data and calls, all that). I see no reason why would they not allow you to have one. 

• Like 1

We don't know how old you are so it's difficult to tell what the right age is to get and use a mobile phone responsibly.  It's different in different countries.  You say that you paid £1 for your SIM so I will base my answer on the guess that you live in the UK. (I live in the UK too).

In the UK if you are still in primary school and not yet in Year 5 or Year 6 I think it's probably not a great idea to have a phone - it's too easy to lose or accidentally break at school.  Then it also comes down to cost.

The argument that "everyone else has one, so why can't I?" doesn't work well with parents who already have decided about "the whole SIM thing".  Your Aunt and Sister already said they think you'd just run out of data really quickly... so... find out how much a monthly phone contract will cost you (or more realistically, cost your parents) and what kind of use you will have.

If you only want to use the phone to send/receive texts/What's app or phone calls and take photos then it might be affordable - but other things use much more data - online games / downloading movies and music tracks will use up your data allowance really quickly.  If you don't have any kind of job that earns you pocket money (paper round / household help chores, etc) then think about how much a contract will cost your parents every month - and if they can afford it. 

If you do get a certain amount of pocket money/allowance each week from your family maybe you could suggest that you can put that towards paying for a phone contract.

Tesco's offer some quite good deals for a monthly fee with limits on the number of texts / calls you can send/receive and how much data you have access to (like Jhud suggested) - but it's still going to be around £15 per month (at least) for a basic contract with a limited data allowance.  £15 per month for 12 months - can you afford to pay that much for a whole year?  Would your parents buy you a birthday present for (at least) £180?  You said your Dad has already bought you 2 presents.

I know it's frustrating but I can understand that your family might just be worrying that if you go over your data limit (which is easy to do) they will be left having to pay the bill for the extra data used and it can get pretty expensive.

Anyway - hope you had a good birthday :)

• Like 1

Get the Pirated instead.  The original You need To buy.

Also IT is rpg Maker VX!

TM Edit; link removed: site rules - this is promoting game piracy and that is illegal.  Our first Site rule includes no discussion of anything illegal on TamaTalk.

This post is also off topic and does not answer the question posted.

22 hours ago, leogames2012 said:

Get the Pirated instead.  The original You need To buy.

Also IT is rpg Maker VX!

TM Edit; link removed: site rules - this is promoting game piracy and that is illegal.  Our first Site rule includes no discussion of anything illegal on TamaTalk.

This post is also off topic and does not answer the question posted.

I'm pretty sure the talk is about Sim cards, not The Sims game. :P

Anyway, I still think it's not that bad of an idea for a young person to have a phone, as long as it's not a super expensive model. I got my first phone precisely for the reason as to call my mom when I needed. Though guess my case was somewhat special since I had to call my mom after school to take me home and I know other countries have school buses or people have less paranoid parents that let their children go home on their own (my mom never did :PBut either way I think it's good to have one for emergencies. I have no idea how data plans work in the UK but in Poland we have things like data limits or that thing where you just pay the amount of money needed to make calls and other things and when it runs out you can't do anything until you replenish it (so there's no accidental extra bill paying). 

• Like 1

I’ve got news!

Thank you all for the help :) Because I Got one! My Dad was actually the one nagging in at me to set it up, I don’t know why but I’m Saving my data pretty quick!

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Admin
      WAAAAY back in 2004 TamaTalk first appeared online.  Thinks were very different back then.  I was still learning how to manage a web site...  The member count was tiny...  Things were simple.  Then TamaTalk started growing... And growing...  And growing.  Back then in 2004, if you told me that in 2019 this site would still be online I would have laughed and thought you were dreaming.  Well...  No dreaming required (though there are lots of blinding fast years in between).  So June 15 is TamaTalk official birthday.  This little community is now 15 years old...  15!!!  Like any 15 year old, we've gone through many changes over the years.  Uh...  I guess 15 puts us into awkward puberty age... *checks for pimples on the site*

It is times like this that I am left feeling very grateful.  Grateful to all of our wonderful members...  Our wonderful Guides...  Our wonderful Angelgotchi and Lifetime Angelgotchi donors... Even grateful to Google for helping people find us for the first time. So thank you to all of you!  Fifteen years is pretty amazing, in my opinion.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAMATALK!!!

• By OneSummerDream
      Hello, everyone! I’ve found some exciting info on the Tamapichi phone that was released back in 1997 by Kyocera. This is a really weird piece of Tamagotchi history, and details in English can be hard to find outside of a few brief articles. There’s actually quite a few photos people have posted, so if you want to see more just look up “たまぴっち.” For convenience, I've ran some of the text through Google Translate. (Also, I wasn't able to shorten most of the URLS properly, sorry ._.) Part of Article: "Bandai, the company that sells Tamagotchi, has spawned about seven million of these hectoring toys since last November, and some have even shown up elsewhere around Asia. It's still not enough. Shortages have driven the price of a Tamagotchi in Tokyo to as high as 15,000 yen ($129). Now, the Tamagotchis are launching an aerial assault. Sometime this month, Bandai will begin selling mobile phones that have a Tamagotchi inside -- the Tamapichi. The phones will operate on Japan's personal handyphone system, the low-priced wireless service that has become the rage among the country's teenage girls. Users no longer will have to watch their Tamagotchi die, they'll be able to blast their tiny beast to another Tamapichi owner's phone, where the ailing creature can frolic with its own kind, feed and regain its pluck. The phones will sell for 45,000 yen. Will these monsters stop at nothing?"
      http://virtualpet.com/vp/farm/lleg/lleg.htm#phones]Source

Generic stock photo: Mametchi! Here’s a comic advert shared by Twitter user @gulico69: https://twitter.com/gulico69/status/775512464184127490 In the comic, two Tamas can be seen sharing a snack. How cute! They can also just hang out, as shown here: Source
      There’s also a video of it hatching: http://twitter.com/korotchi/status/740047518587752449 For more, look under #たまぴっon Twitter and other sites. Apparently, people could connect their Tamas by calling or texting each other if they both had one. If that’s the case, this may be the actual first-ever connecting Tamagotchi (since this was released in June ‘97 a few months before Mesutchi/Osutchi). However, this might mean they’re unable to connect without phone service. It also seems that taking care of it also means checking your calls and text messages in a timely manner: "Tama Pitches" is a rare PHS that DDI pocket has just released with momentum! It was difficult to raise Sugge as the way of growing changed with P mail and incoming! " A lot of the normal icons/options seem to be missing. All I see are the attention and game icons. As for characters, it appears to be a blend of P1 and P2. Some specs:
      http://www2k.biglobe.ne.jp/~mako/pitch.html

The phone also comes with an adorable little charger with Tonmaruchi and Tongaritchi printed on it! If you want one, check out these Mercari listings: Listings But wait- there’s more. There was also a second Tamagotchi phone: It appears that it could connect to an Entama via codes rather than having a Tamagotchi built into it. Google-translated: "en Tama can go out to "travel" if the Tamagotchi, which raised some extent. En Enjoy the content of "Tamagotchi Town", one of the "papipo!" Web services, using occasionally displayed IDs and passwords. If you log out and enter the logout ID and password displayed on the "papipo!" Screen occasionally, the series of operations is completed." https://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/col/20060607/117045/ Another excerpt about it: "WILLCOM and BANDAI announced on joint March 16th that they will release the PHS terminal "Kids' mobile papipo!" For children in June (Photo 1). From March 18th, accept reservations through dedicated website and so on. Although the price is open, it is expected to be 14,800 yen for mail order through Bandai's website." By the way, there was a third Tamagotchi-themed phone that was set for release outside of Japan, but was canceled for unknown reasons. I have no idea where I found the article (since it was a while ago), but to be honest, it looked like a generic flip phone with a Tamagotchi decal. That's it for now. I hope you all enjoyed these little snippets. I’ve been trying to find more about these phones for a while now, and it’s awesome getting some sort of info on them! Of course, there’s also a ton of stuff out there like reviews and blog posts I didn't include for the sake of brevity, so happy sleuthing!
    • By Karinagotchi
      Hello!
      i recently bought an ir phone (verizon palm treo 650) and i was wondering how to get the mr blinky apps on it for the tamagotchi p's? I dont have the wifi card and was wondering if i need to get that (which i fell like duh of course/ but idk where to get that) or if i need to get to get the dongle anyway? i would like to learn how to do this so i can send it to my p's. Thank you for the help!
    • By laurr591
      Hello, I just bought a Palm Centro and I'm trying to transfer an english patch to my tamagotchi p's, but no matter how many times I try it just doesn't work. Can someone please help me? I resorted to buying a Palm Centro after fiddling with an IrDa usb dongle for hours and that didn't work for me either.
    • By Admin
      Hello TamaTalkers!
      June 15 is here again and that means our little community here is celebrating another birthday! TamaTalk is now 12 years old! The Tamagotchi world has changed a lot in the 12 years that this community has been online... I'm sure the coming years will bring more changes. Thank you all so much for being a part of this place.

And...
      HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAMATALK!!!
    • By Tama_Fan_2002
      I have decided to save my money up for a Tamagotchi P's, but I have some questions about the English Patch.

First of all, What is the cheapest Infrared Phone I could get that will work with the P's?

Second, How do I download the English patches to the phone?

Lastly, How do I send the patches from the phone to the P's?

Thank you to everyone who has helped me on TamaTalk!!!