Buying Tamagotchis Via Charity Shops?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KidRetro64

Reaction score
Recently, I’ve decided that I want to invest in Tamagotchis more. And, whenever me and my Dad go into town, we almost always go into Charity shops. Now, I always go to the Toy bit, just to see if anything intresting is lurking around in there. Then, one day I asked my dad, “Do you think they would sell vintage Tamagotchis in Charity shops?” He says no, because now a days we can’t even find the right types on eBay!

So, That got me thinking. Is there a chance of me finding any type of Tamagotchi or Virtual pet? If not, can I look anywhere else?

There's certainly a chance, just as there is with finding anything, but it just might not be a very big one!

I occasionally look for virtual pets if I'm near a charity-shop, too, though I haven't had any luck yet either.

Car boot sales* might be another good bet. Some years ago, eBay's presence ended up hurting that scene quite a bit, but since then eBay's fees have only risen further, so some folks might not be so inclined to sell there these days.

*For those not from the UK, what we call the "boot" is what you guys call the "trunk" of a car. A car boot sale is basically like a garage sale or a yard sale, except people load up their items in the back of their car and head out to set up stalls on public land. :p

I'd say that, overall, finding them online is still going to be the better bet, though, but you know all of the best options for that already!

I know a person who got a NIB v4 in a second hand shop (don't think we have charity shops but a second hand shop is smilar, right?) for a little over a dollar. It's probably one in a lifetime chance, but it's possible. And it's recent too! However since we're from Poland it's probably a special case because less people know how much tamas are worth (it's very easy to snag an used connection on auction sites here for just a few bucks, unlike ebay). I know that a few years ago second hand store finds of tamagotchis weren't super uncommon. However the chances of finding a vintage is more or less a lottery, I'm afraid.

I found a tamaGO in a Vinnies in Australia for $10AUD.  I think it's more likely that you'd find the newer versions as opposed to a connection era version.  You might also find some of the 2017 chibis or 2018 P1s and P2s in a few years.

I'm always popping into my local charity shops on the lookout for tamagotchi's. It's gotten to the point where I've been dreaming about finding one. 🙃

One day, maybe!

It can happen. I have had my best luck at one thrift store I go to. It used to be easier there when they used to have rack for keychains. Now they put them in bags of mixed toys. They are usually connection era tamas but I have found originals. My best find was a sealed V3. A few weeks ago I got a bag for $1.99 that contained two v3, a tama lanyard, and a v4. 

Flea markets are another great place to look.

Last edited by a moderator:
It can happen. I have had my best luck at one thrift store I go to. It used to be easier there when they used to have rack for keychains. Now they put them in bags of mixed toys. They are usually connection era tamas but I have found originals. My best find was a sealed V3. A few weeks ago I got a bag for $1.99 that contained two v3, a tama lanyard, and a v4. 

Flea markets are another great place to look.
Oh man I am so jealous! That is quite literally my hopes and dreams for going exploring in local charity shops. I do try to visit local boot fairs as often as I can, but I've yet to find any tamas! 

I've found tamagotchis for sale at School Fairs / Jumble Sales.

They've been donated for sale because the kids don't play with them any more.  I've picked up several for, like, £1 or £2 in the past.

If you have any schools locally who run a Summer Fair or Open Day with stalls selling books and toys then it's worth heading in and taking a look :)

(I live in the UK - in London - so this kind of thing is quite common as a fund raising activity for the school.  You don't usually have to be a student or family member to visit.)

If you have any schools locally who run a Summer Fair or Open Day with stalls selling books and toys then it's worth heading in and taking a look :)
Just got back from my town centre. Scoured every charity shop, and nada, zilch! I might see if any of my local schools are holding any open fairs any time soon. It's lovely weather down in the SE so I'm sure there must be some. Failing that there's always a Sunday bootfair :)

I bought a Santaclautch at a Goodwill store in Phoenix (AZ) in 2004 for 25 dollars, brand new in the box, and still tabbed.  I replaced the batteries, and also the screws.  It works just fine--I play it at Christmas, starting it on my birthday, which is 2 weeks before.  I also got a set of Best Friends V2s at the same Goodwill in 2006 or 2007.  I paid only a dollar each for them.  I also got a V5.5 (the light blue Jewels one)  with a tamagotchi lanyard for 3 dollars at a store called Stepping Stones in Prescott Valley (AZ) in 2009.  I guess I just got lucky a few times--I haven't seen any more tamas or other vps since, and I do look.  Never had any luck at garage or yard sales though.  ETA--The Santaclautch just happened to be my favorite too--the green one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently I went to a Goodwill and found a sealed brand new special edition gold v3 tamagotchi. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back