Should I ROM test my tamas to fix any bugs?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurb

Reaction score
Should i ROM test the tamas i'm gonna get in the mail to fix any bugs? There probably won't be any data, so.... Should i?

Last edited by a moderator:
ROM-testing won't fix any bugs, but it's good practise to reset a Tamagotchi prior to using it anyway - Bandai typically advises this in the instructions (resetting can prevent some unintended behaviour, as far as I know), if memory serves.

Also, if you want to contribute to @hwd45's ROM-documenting efforts, and don't intend to keep any previous owners' data in the case of used units, then it's definitely worth doing.

ROM-testing won't fix any bugs, but it's good practise to reset a Tamagotchi prior to using it anyway - Bandai typically advises this in the instructions (resetting can prevent some unintended behaviour, as far as I know), if memory serves.

Also, if you want to contribute to @hwd45's ROM-documenting efforts, and don't intend to keep any previous owners' data in the case of used units, then it's definitely worth doing.
One more question... I know how to rom test, but will the same method work on all tamas?

One more question... I know how to rom test, but will the same method work on all tamas?
If memory serves, this came up in hwd45's thread, and the answer is that the method is different for certain models. I don't know what each method is, though, as I've only tested a couple of Connection models.

IIRC, ROM testing isn’t a feature on the color tamas, only the connections. By “connections” I mean up to V6 because for the Friends (or whatever the “V7” was) I don’t think you can do a ROM test.

IIRC, ROM testing isn’t a feature on the color tamas, only the connections. By “connections” I mean up to V6 because for the Friends (or whatever the “V7” was) I don’t think you can do a ROM test.

then how did hwd get the versions of the color tamas? there’s gotta be a way
The majority of Tamagotchi devices have a ROM test mode but the activation methods differ between versions.

On vintage devices, a screen test can be activated by pressing A+Reset. This mode does not display a version number or test the ROM functionality, however.

For most Japanese devices, B+C+Reset is used to activate ROM testing features. More recent releases (from the P's onwards) use a different method - first the device must be reset, and then on the ちょっとまってね screen the buttons A, C, A, B, C must be pressed in succession all within about 2.5 seconds. This method is also used for the Tamagotchi On

Other international devices - like all the connection era devices - use A+B+C+Reset. I think the Plus does too but I'm not entirely sure.

XDtx5cZ.jpg

If it helps, you can use this diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back